CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Aggie96
Gamecocks1137
jebodiah
b381l
Gamecock in TX
Acockolypse Now
cockycrazy2001
jellafever
Cockypantherfan
Vote for Browns star (3128)
texags (2639)
Shaw Lighting Up Bro (2247)
2016 Commitment - Ja (1849)
Preparing for the sm (1504)
Connor Shaw intervie (903)
Gameday Garnet Polo (760)
Aggie Statistics (744)
Clowney (725)
They are coming to y (586)
What would be your defini
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Hard Knocks this week.
Gameday Garnet Polo
Spurrier accepts cockys c
Aggie Statistics
They are coming to your c
Preparing for the smash r
texags
Vote for Browns starting

Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Makindough
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 280
Makindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPit
Default Media becoming respectful

I was reading Chris Lowe's article about the final "grades" of the SEC teams for the season and I couldn't help but think, when he gave USC a "B" on an overall scale, does the media FINALLY expect more from Carolina!! Back to back 11 wins seasons, only matched by Bama, Oregon, and Stanford and finishing the season in the top 10 only deserving of a "B"? But its almost as if he expected more and was sort of disappointed. Maybe he thought we at least would have played a BCS game, SEC title game? I'm not at all upset with his grades because I actually think he expected better. Thoughts?
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...uth-carolina-2
Makindough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
cockybusiness2
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 476000
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Media becoming respectful

Not a bad review, but I did not realize our run game fell that far. If we could run the ball , along with the way our pass offense has preformed at the end of the season, our offense would be unstoppable
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
uscdoit
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscdoit is learning to peckuscdoit is learning to peck

I certainly agree with you about being able to run the ball. With the running backs we have in place we should be more effective. Offensive line needs to be stronger & nastier!
uscdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscdoit View Post
I certainly agree with you about being able to run the ball. With the running backs we have in place we should be more effective. Offensive line needs to be stronger & nastier!

OL is the only thing holding us back.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
cock13
An illusion, Michael

Male

CockyCash: 51250
cock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot material

Because Spurrier is giving them all envelopes filled with money
Old 01-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cock13 View Post
Because Spurrier is giving them all envelopes filled with money
While Dabo is giving recruits money.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

When we had a chance to win the east we played very badly at Florida. I would still put it at an A- if it were me.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
cockybusiness2
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 476000
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

It has been said a million times. Until we get an SEC caliber O-Line we will not win the SEC
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
Not a bad review, but I did not realize our run game fell that far. If we could run the ball , along with the way our pass offense has preformed at the end of the season, our offense would be unstoppable
We had tremendous turmoil in our run game this past season: Lattimore was already quickly returning from an ACL injury that ended his 2011 season, and we were trying to be conservative in our usage of him early on; Both Wilds and Carson were lost for the season as options before the season even got underway; Shaw - a huge component of our run game in '11 when he took over at QB - was hobbled all season with various injuries (even his shoulder injury early on forced the staff to be very cautious utilizing him in run plays). And finally we lose Lattimore again to a 2nd ACL injury...

That was an awful lot of injury issues regarding our rush offense. Hopefully we have a much healthier 2013, and Shaw is able to return to being a factor running the ball again. We averaged around 60 rushing yds per game LESS in '12 from '11: we still ended with around the same total offensive numbers because we also averaged about 60 yds per game MORE in the passing offense from '11.

I see chances for improvements at the OL, QB, and WR positions over what we went into 2012 with....far fewer questions that need answering. The TE position looks to be about equal, and while there are questions at RB, the mere fact that we'll have solid to great talent, depth, and experience there (if we can remain healthy) makes the potential for improvement pretty substantial, IMO....
Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

Well who was it got a career ending shoulder surgery? Mike M? And Corey would play good one game and get destroyed the next. Does Cody Waldrop take TJ's spot next year at C? Whose our projected starting 5 and the 2-deep? Will either Stadnick get PT, will Na'ty get PT?
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 600
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

IMHO we should limit our use of the zone read. Shaw is the only runner that bebefits from the zone read. I think it hurts the other running back chances of success. Maybe I am just too old fashioned, but I don't see the O-line being able to drive the defense off the LOS with zone read blocking, personnaly I like to see the I,or the 2 back, with a lead fullback blocking. Maybe I am wrong, but I think the O-line would be a lot more agressive in an "old fashioned" running game.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPit

Yea, lets get under center, get in the I formation, add a full back, which in turn adds another defender in the box and compresses the defense closer to the line of scrimmage. Then lets see how welll we can run the ball with an ol that folks on here say are not sec caliber.....

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
KC85
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
KC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makindough View Post
I was reading Chris Lowe's article about the final "grades" of the SEC teams for the season and I couldn't help but think, when he gave USC a "B" on an overall scale, does the media FINALLY expect more from Carolina!! Back to back 11 wins seasons, only matched by Bama, Oregon, and Stanford and finishing the season in the top 10 only deserving of a "B"? But its almost as if he expected more and was sort of disappointed. Maybe he thought we at least would have played a BCS game, SEC title game? I'm not at all upset with his grades because I actually think he expected better. Thoughts?
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...uth-carolina-2
I know we need the media on our side for some things but in all honesty... **** the media. I'd rather have them against us and win than have them on our side and win.
KC85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
I have been saying this for a while, but it seems that for some reason we cannot get the running game and passing game going during the same season. Hopefully 2013 is the year we bring it all together.

Well the last season we did this that comes to mind was 2010. Garcia passed for over 3000 yards and Lattimore had over 1000 on the ground. The passing game could still have been better that year imo.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit

Quote:
It has been said a million times. Until we get an SEC caliber O-Line we will not win the SEC
SEC Caliber O-line should be next year hopefully.

Shell, Robinson, Matulis, Gibson return at tackle along with Brock Stadnik (RS FR who was an UA All American coming out of HS) and D.J Park (Early Enrollee, who played in Shrine Bowl.)

Cann and Patrick return at the guard positions with Will Sport, Clayton Stadnik and possibly even Brock Stadnik getting some reps there to establish depth.

T.J Johnson is probably the biggest loose on Offense this year and the likely candidate to replace him is Cody Waldrop, who coach Elliot raves about. Bryce King and Clayton Stadnik will give him some competition.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
OfficeLinebackerCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1230
OfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPit

Quote:

Yep, but as has been discussed ad nauseum in here as well as other forums, before you can run the ball, you must first be able to block the run (and the pass). It is well documented what has to happen to move this offense into high gear. I'm curious to see if coach Elliot can get his group moving bodies out of the way for a change instead of watching the vapor trail as they blow past, over, or through them.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
DJCatfish
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his comb

It's kind of a backhanded, but it's still somewhat of a compliment. No SEC championship game, no A or A- grade. It's actually kind of nice that's the metric around here these days.
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #18
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Most people will become respectful if you begin handing out $100 bills.