CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Lankey62
**USC vs. Vanderbilt (32845)
Gameday in Columbia (1778)
ECU is a good team (1479)
Why we'll dominate C (1245)
Spurrier was Embaras (1169)
Is it possible for o (1125)
Spurrier not happy s (1088)
Alabama vs Florida. (1028)
Lammons out (989)
ECU is a good team (974)
Spurrier was Embarassed
Is anyone really surprise
**USC vs. Vanderbilt GAME
Is it possible for our Sp
More David Williams Pleas
Glad We Won
Best and worst of the gam
2016 - Jamie Skalski
ECU
Spurrier not happy so why

Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #61
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material
Default Re: Brad Lawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Wait, but hold on, you said that you give the edge to Florida over UGA. But UGA won the EAST that last two seasons, which is why you are saying they are a better program than SC. It certainly can't be because of head to head matchups because SC has won the last three and "beat the pants off of them" this year. So your only reasoning that UGA would be better than SC TODAY is because they won the East. So why do you say Florida is better than UGA? UGA won the East AND beat the pants off of Florida. But somehow, you think Florida is the better program AS OF TODAY??
2008... national championship. I'm done arguing with you over this. You have your opinion, which is fine, I have mine. at the end of the day, what we say doesn't matter anyway. Have a good night sir.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #62
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter View Post
2008... national championship. I'm done arguing with you over this. You have your opinion, which is fine, I have mine. at the end of the day, what we say doesn't matter anyway. Have a good night sir.
But you said the past didn't matter. That is what YOU said when I brought up SC's performance against Florida for the past three seasons AND SC's overall record and conference record compared to Florida's for the past three seasons. So the past doesn't matter, but then you bring up the 2008 National Championship?? I guess Tennessee is a better program AS OF TODAY than SC also?

I never said I cared about your opinion. In fact, I went out of my way to say that I can see why someone would have that opinion. I even said that I wouldn't argue with a Florida fan who had the opinion that UF was a better program AS OF TODAY. But when I SAID that it is certainly DEBATABLE (and that is ALL I SAID), you are the one that acted like that was a travesty.

But now you say "you have your opinion, which is fine." Well why wasn't it fine two pages ago?

You think what you want, but I can assure you that it is ABSOLUTELY and CERTAINLY debatable about who has the better program AS OF TODAY between Florida and SC. If you think it is a slam dunk, then you are the one with the problems with your glasses.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #63
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

CRIPPLE FIGHT!
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #64
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

Quote:
But you said the past didn't matter. That is what YOU said when I brought up SC's performance against Florida for the past three seasons AND SC's overall record and conference record compared to Florida's for the past three seasons. So the past doesn't matter, but then you bring up the 2008 National Championship?? I guess Tennessee is a better program AS OF TODAY than SC also?

I never said I cared about your opinion. In fact, I went out of my way to say that I can see why someone would have that opinion. I even said that I wouldn't argue with a Florida fan who had the opinion that UF was a better program AS OF TODAY. But when I SAID that it is certainly DEBATABLE (and that is ALL I SAID), you are the one that acted like that was a travesty.

But now you say "you have your opinion, which is fine." Well why wasn't it fine two pages ago?

You think what you want, but I can assure you that it is ABSOLUTELY and CERTAINLY debatable about who has the better program AS OF TODAY between Florida and SC. If you think it is a slam dunk, then you are the one with the problems with your glasses.
That's right, and but since YOU wanted to bring up the past, can't I? I didn't say anything about head to head match ups, but YOU wanted too. THIS YEAR Florida went to a BCS bowl and Georgia won the SEC East. If you think beating Georgia and a comeback win in the Outback bowl puts USC ahead of both of them this year, then congrats on that!
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #65
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
That's right, and but since YOU wanted to bring up the past, can't I? I didn't say anything about head to head match ups, but YOU wanted too. THIS YEAR Florida went to a BCS bowl and Georgia won the SEC East. If you think beating Georgia and a comeback win in the Outback bowl puts USC ahead of both of them this year, then congrats on that!
Northern Illinois went to a BCS bowl also.

Here is my problem with you. It is that you state your opinion as if it should be a fact. Like no one else's opinion has merit. If you think UGA is better than SC because they have won the East, then good for you. You have some valid points.

But look at the things you say.. Look at what you typed above. You make it seem like it is absolutely crazy for someone to think that SC is a better program than UGA right now. You have to be kidding. Sorry, but head to heads DO MATTER.. Especially in FORMING AN OPINION. SC has beaten UGA three straight seasons, and they blew them out of the building this year. And you act like it is asinine for someone to have the opinion that SC is a better program? That is ridiculous. You may not have that opinion and that is fine. But you are acting like we are talking about who has the better program between Alabama and Kentucky.

There are PLENTY of reasons for people to feel like SC is a better program than UGA or Florida right now. Sorry, but when SC finishes the season ranked 7th in the country, unless we are talking about Alabama, it is CERTAINLY not ridiculous for someone to hold a different opinion than you about how SC ranks up against another team. SC is one of four teams in the past two seasons to finish with 11 wins in both seasons. SC has finished both seasons ranked in the top 10. Neither Florida or UGA have done that. Now, I am not saying SC is better... I haven't said that one time in this thread. But those are CERTAINLY enough valid reasons for someone to make a VERY GOOD argument that SC is just as strong, if not stronger, than UF or UGA.

So quit acting like someone has to be wearing garnet colored glasses to think that.

Last edited by cofcgamecock9; 01-27-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #66
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

How about he left because of something that is none of our business and he knew people here wouldn't stop prying. While, I hate he had to go, he gave his all for this program for 17 years and I wish him well for that except when he is coaching against us.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #67
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

CockyCash: 600
upstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervous

Don't confuse having the better team in any given year or years with having the better program.
upstatescw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #68
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatescw View Post
Don't confuse having the better team in any given year or years with having the better program.
So is Tennessee a better program than SC AS OF NOW?... which the AS OF NOW is important since it was one of the main things that we were debating. Not historically, but as of now.

Last edited by cofcgamecock9; 01-28-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #69
4Ever2Thee
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2940
4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit

I hate that we now have a coach lawing bashing thread, he was a great coach for us and I have no reason to believe anything other than that he was a great person too. I am friends with his son and he is one of the highest character people you'll ever meet. I didn't know coach lawing personally but I know after everything he did for us that he doesn't deserve some of the disparaging rumor mill sh** that's been tossed around in this thread
4Ever2Thee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #70
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

upstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
So is Tennessee a better program than SC AS OF NOW?... which the AS OF NOW is important since it was one of the main things that we were debating. Not historically, but as of now.
What in the world are you talking about? When did Tennessee get mentioned?

It's is all very subjective, so I don't know why you would get so heated about it. My point was there is more to a 'program' than wins and losses over a season or couple of seasons. A program, to me, includes facilities, revenue/profit, tv exposure (which leads to national recognition), national recognition and reputation, recruiting, fan support, etc etc etc. so to answer your question, AS OF NOW, that is what I think is important when talking about a 'program'. You can't talk about who has the better program without including history to some degree, sorry. If you want to just talk about the last season or few seasons, you are just talking about who had the better team those seasons, in my honest opinion.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #71
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
A pay raise and a move to a traditional powerhouse doesn't sound like a lateral move to me.
Lawing is a great DL coach. He knows how to teach fundamentals and technique. This is evident by the fact he consistently placed USC DL in the top rounds of the NFL draft, including players that came out of HS with fewer stars than the fancy-pants programs like UF.

That said, it is more than lateral. First, he got a substantial pay increase. That is not lateral.

Second, he got an Assistant Head Coach title. That is not lateral.

Third, he has coached under Johnson and Ward for at least one season. Now, he will coach under one of the best defensive minds in college football in Muschamp. The intangibles on his resume that come with that change mean it is not lateral.

The alleged history and tradition of the UF program are irrelevant. We have Spurrier.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #72
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

BuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his comb

Elite College Football Programs:

Southern Cal, Texas, Oklahoma, Bama, LSU, UF, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame

Go anywhere around the country and that's a consensus.
BuCockyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #73
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuCockyfan View Post

After this years National Championship debacle, I am willing to lay some cash on the table about Notre Dame being in that crowd. Same with So Cal. They may have history, but lately they have had nothing.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #74
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuCockyfan View Post

So in your mind, Steve Spurrier is not an elite coach, and I'm talking historically elite?

Take for example, a negative example of a coach that is not elite--case in point, Dabo.

Shaq Attack

Last edited by yazoo; 01-29-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #75
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
So in your mind, Steve Spurrier is not an elete coach, and I'm talking historically elite?

Take for example, a negative example of a coach that is not elite--case in point, Dabo.
I certainly don't speak for that poster, but that's not really what was said. Steve Spurrier is definitely elite.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #76
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatescw View Post
I certainly don't speak for that poster, but that's not really what was said. Steve Spurrier is definitely elite.
I know what was said. I will spell it out. Elite coach = elite program.

Shaq Attack
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #77
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

You know he'll talk bad about our program to other recruits now at FLA.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #78
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I know what was said. I will spell it out. Elite coach = elite program.
That's not necessarily true. The elite programs are based on a history of success and the coaches and the programs can be seperated in that regard. I'll agree with that list of elite programs but there are a couple on that list that clearly don't have elite coaches.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #79
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

It reeks of an inferiority complex when people try to argue that USC as a program is on the same level as Florida etc.

We've had our best few years and yet don't have anything to show for it except an SEC east title and bowl victories that only really matter to the teams playing, oh and within the past 50 years we won the ACC once. Florida has 3 national championships, 3 heisman winners, and 8 conference titles.

Today, we are a competitive football team and have done well, but as a program we still have a long way to go to be taken seriously. Also, these arguments are why people think we have far and away the most delusional fan base.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #80
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
That's not necessarily true. The elite programs are based on a history of success and the coaches and the programs can be seperated in that regard. I'll agree with that list of elite programs but there are a couple on that list that clearly don't have elite coaches.
If they don't have an elite coach, they are not an elite program. The issue is what have you done lately. That is not my viewpoint. That's the viewpoint of recruits. The crapola these so-called elite programs sing about history means nothing when you have a dog crap coach like Dabo.

Shaq Attack