CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
SMOTFS86
Cockypantherfan
Lonnie
taylorssc
gamecockphan
robgusc76
U-Dub Gamecock
CoverTwo
Spurrier on Pharoah: (4127)
USC/clemson spread (1797)
In case no one saw.. (1454)
Bowl projections (1342)
Why has there been 4 (761)
Odell Becham Catch (759)
A little late to the (698)
Tiger Burn (538)
Texas A&M Defens (397)
No excuse for the D (373)
How do you prep your bird
Good Omen for Saturday?
Shaq Roland
Carolina-Clemson Trophy
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
The Defense
Bowl projections
USC/clemson spread
weekend conference Predic
Texans getting frustrated

Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material
Default MLB rule change - will it come to NCAA?

As lower levels of sports have been changing to more accurately reflect their professional counter parts, do you think the new MLB rule will come to NCAA? I know I saw it done by an opponent at Carolina Stadium last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...9715--mlb.html

Basically - the fake to third - throw to first pick off is now considered a balk.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
RockRocks787
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1510
RockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to RockRocks787
Default Re: MLB rule change - will it come to NCAA?

I don't think that rule in particular will make much of a difference. It never works and just wastes time.

RockRocks787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Yea - I didn't expect it to make a huge impact in game results - just wondering what the transition time as a MLB rule to NCAA rule would be. Just got into college baseball about 3 years ago (on the run to the first championship), so not sure how long new rules take to trickle down.

I agree that it won't make an impact - but it is annoying to see, which is the primary motivation for MLB banning it.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

They should change it.

1. No point in enforcing a habit that will get them in trouble at the next level.
And
2. That move annoys the heck out of me
Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

But come on, that move works once every other decade! With that kind of success rate, how do you get rid of it?
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

I wish they would get rid of the fake to first. It has literally never gotten anyone out, ever. Only provides chuckles when at home, and an opponent dives back with no throw.

Still waiting for someone to not move when the pitcher does a fake to first. That person would look like such a baller.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Got no problem with faking a throw to first base. Easy way to move the runner back w/o wasting a throw or accidently throwing the ball away or the first baseman not catching the ball.

If I were a manager and my runner did not move to go back to first because he figured it was going to be a fake and he got thrown out because he wanted to look cool, instead, he wouldn't be playing for the next week.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

I am a bit confused on the rule. I am not confused on what a fake to third and throw to first is, i get that part. I am confused as to why they just didnt ban the move altogether. I mean, there is no chance for a balk in the first place because not a single pitcher will now EVER fake to third and throw to first.

For a balk to occur you actually have to attempt a throw to a base and be caught in a violation of the rule. shoulda just banned the move.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

If the intent of the rule is to benefit the flow of the game, then why not limit the number of times a batter or pitcher/catcher can call timeout. Red Sox/Yankees do it so much their games last significantly longer than average mlb games.
sporkgod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
scfastpitch
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
I am a bit confused on the rule. I am not confused on what a fake to third and throw to first is, i get that part. I am confused as to why they just didnt ban the move altogether. I mean, there is no chance for a balk in the first place because not a single pitcher will now EVER fake to third and throw to first.

For a balk to occur you actually have to attempt a throw to a base and be caught in a violation of the rule. shoulda just banned the move.
I'm confused on what's confusing you . The fake throw to third is now a balk .
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

If they banned the move, and someone did it - what would the punishment be? batter goes to first, and base runners advance? Sounds like a balk.

And I agree, in addition to limiting batters' timeouts, how about making it later a rule that timeout has to be called before the pitcher comes to rest. I'm sick of seeing a pitcher just start his wind up only for a batter to call timeout and get it - now they are both gonna go threw their pre-pitch rituals again.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Dumbest rule change ever. That's one of the worst plays in all of Baseball and if you're caught by that then you deserve to be picked off.

Now with that said, I'm glad it's considered a balk so I never have to watch that idiotic play again.

I can count on 1 hand how many times I've seen that work in my 28 years of watching and playing Baseball.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Wasn't this already implemented in SEC play last year? I seem to remember something like this being "new" last season. Or is it a very similar situation I am thinking of?
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Basically it sounds like they're going to treat 3rd like they have always done 1st. If you go through the motion to throw the ball to 1st but don't release it ... BALK. I think this is a good rule change to treat them equally because a righty or lefty as an advantage/disadvantage either way.

I will say this, there's going to be a TON of balks to 3rd this year by rightys till people get used to it.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

It is a good move if the runner on first is stealing on first movement from the pitcher or if you just catch him sleeping. But most of the time, it does not work.
jared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
scfastpitch
Two Deep

Male

scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Basically it sounds like they're going to treat 3rd like they have always done 1st. If you go through the motion to throw the ball to 1st but don't release it ... BALK. I think this is a good rule change to treat them equally because a righty or lefty as an advantage/disadvantage either way.

I will say this, there's going to be a TON of balks to 3rd this year by rightys till people get used to it.
That sounds right . A fake throw to second is still allowed .
Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
Wasn't this already implemented in SEC play last year? I seem to remember something like this being "new" last season. Or is it a very similar situation I am thinking of?
I remember them talking about it the rule change last year. But for some reason I don't think it was implemented.
COCKYTALKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
I'm confused on what's confusing you . The fake throw to third is now a balk .
They don't always, "fake throw" to third. Sometimes they just step off and face third and then throw to first. Does this mean stepping off is going to be a balk now?
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
scfastpitch
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
They don't always, "fake throw" to third. Sometimes they just step off and face third and then throw to first. Does this mean stepping off is going to be a balk now?
No. Once you step off you can fake or throw .
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
I remember them talking about it the rule change last year. But for some reason I don't think it was implemented.
Yeah, I remember a bunch of us talking about a new "balk" rule throughout the season, but can't remember all the specifics.

Can't remember if we were "testing" it as we did the Instant Replay either. They seem to like using the SEC to test new rules/rule changes.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote