CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
thumpin big
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
RGHoskins
JerseyBird
markymark550
ZenUSC
peterlemon
smoovecock
Brad Lawing (1782)
Currently 2nd in att (1063)
Constant Updates on (963)
**USC vs. UNC-Ashevi (954)
Alshon - Bose (928)
Ced Cooper (#18) sta (855)
How cool would it be (763)
Garcia vs Clemson To (612)
Carolina/Clemson gam (503)
Palmetto Bowl (320)
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Andrew Clifford Scooter A
NEW Pics from South Alaba
Chattanooga upends No. 4
Constant Updates on Watso
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ C
Where to watch in Arlingt
Props to Volleyball!
Garcia vs Clemson Tom
Currently 2nd in attendan

View Poll Results: GREATES COUNTRY MUSIC SONG OF ALL TIME
Seed #3: I'M SO LONESOME I COULD CRY (Hank Williams) 12 46.15%
Seed #4: CRAZY (Patsy Cline) 14 53.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default CHAMPIONSHIP : Greatest Country Music Song Ever Written

THE FINAL MATCHUP ..... Vote for your favorite Song between These Two:

Seed #3 - I'M SO LONESOME I COULD CRY (Hank Williams)

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" is a song written and recorded by American country music
singer-songwriter Hank Williams in 1949. Williams wrote the song originally intending that the
words be spoken, rather than sung, as he had done on several of his Luke the Drifter recordings.
The song about loneliness was largely inspired by his troubled relationship with wife Audrey Sheppard.
With evocative lyrics, such as the opening lines "Hear that lonesome whip-poor-will/He sounds
too blue to fly," the song has been covered by a wide range of musicians.

Rolling Stone ranked it #111 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, the oldest song on the list.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Seed #4 - CRAZY (Patsy Cline)

"Crazy" is a ballad composed by Willie Nelson. It has been recorded by several artists, most notably
by Patsy Cline, whose version was a #2 country hit in 1962. Partly due to the genre-blending nature
of the song, it has been covered by dozens of artists in several genres over the years; Nevertheless,
the song remains inextricably linked with Cline.
Patsy Cline, who was already a country music superstar and working to extend a string of hits, picked
it as a follow up to her previous big hit I Fall to Pieces. "Crazy", its complex melody suiting Cline's
vocal talent perfectly, was released in late 1961 and immediately became another huge hit for Cline and
widened the crossover audience she had established with her prior hits. It spent 21 weeks on the chart
and eventually became one of her signature tunes. Cline's version is #85 on Rolling Stone's list of
The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
According to the Ellis Nassour biography Patsy Cline, Nelson, who at that time was known as a struggling
songwriter by the name of Hugh Nelson, was a regular at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge on Nashville's Music Row,
where he frequented with friends Kris Kristofferson and Roger Miller, both unknown songwriters at that time.
Nelson met Cline's husband, Charlie Dick, at the bar one evening and pitched the song to him. Dick took the
track home and played it for Cline, who absolutely hated it at first because Nelson's demo "spoke" the lyrics
ahead of and behind the beat, about which an annoyed Cline remarked that she ``couldn't sing like that.
However, Cline's producer, Owen Bradley, loved the song and arranged it in the ballad form in which it was
later recorded. On Loretta Lynn's album I Remember Patsy Bradley reported that as Patsy was still recovering
from a recent automobile accident that nearly took her life, she'd had difficulty reaching the high notes of the
song on the original production night due to her broken ribs. So after about four hours of trying, in the days of
four songs being recorded in three hours - they called it a night. A week later she came back and recorded
the lead vocal we all know in one take.
On the same interview, Loretta remembers the first time Cline performed it at the Grand Ole Opry on crutches,
and received three standing ovations. Barbara Mandrell remembers Cline introducing the song to her audiences
live in concert saying "All my recent hits have come true in my life. I had a hit out called Tra-La-La Triangle and
people thought about me and Gerald and Charlie. I had another hit out called 'I Fall to Pieces' and I was in a car
wreck. Now I'm really worried because I have a new hit single out and its called 'Crazy'."
Willie Nelson stated on the 1993 documentary Remembering Patsy that Cline's version of "Crazy" was his favorite
song of his that anybody had ever recorded because it "was a lot of magic."

Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: CHAMPIONSHIP : Greatest Country Music Song Ever Written

Had to vote for Patsy Cline / CRAZY.
Both absolutely killer songs from two legends. Not just in Country Music
but in music of any kind. I think this is probably (personal tate), the
best song each of these artits did, but backed into a corner and forced to
pick one of these, I'd have to chose Crazy. It would be by the slimmest
of margins, but I'm going with Patsy Cline for the best CM song ever
written between these two choices
Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

There must be some lonesome people on this website.

Lonesome, ornery, and mean
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb

Well, between THOSE TWO, I pick "I'm so lonesome I could cry," particularly because of the way he sings it, you feel the sadness. Combined with the "old" record sound you hear, it makes it more blue. It wouldn't be same, recorded today, with a different singer. Of course, today's singers.don't even.know what the blues or real sadness really is, because they were born into money, and that's why country music has become an absolute joke, and parody of itself,, but we can have that discussion later.
AikenRooster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

I haven't hardly listened to any country music (or much any other "current" music) in 30 years or so. It's almost all crap.

Went with "Crazy". Coin flip kinda thing. No right or wrong answer here.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:28 AM   #6
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Wait a minute....where is Ray Price "For the Good Times".....what is #1 and 2
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 AM   #7
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

Had to go with my girl - Patsy Cline.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

COCKYTALK MEMBERS HAVE CHOSEN:

CRAZY by Patsy Cline....as the greatest Country Music Song Ever Written.

Thanks to everyone for your nominations, your votes and for your
comments.

This was a fun tournament