CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Cockypantherfan
ACPhilson
PageUSC
The Yancey
taylorssc
KaneisAble
GamecockSuperFan
Roosterboy
zcockz
HBC Weekly Presser (1944)
Thompson Has Neck In (1450)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (983)
4th & 1 Play (846)
Clowney didnt get ma (753)
Zone Read Analysis w (742)
So What? (417)
Request (384)
Kentucky prediction (334)
Bad Week For Upstate (325)
State talent drying up
What fish do you eat
Thoughts on the basketbal
Women's BB "Big Mond
Dylan Thompson looks brok
Cleaned up version: SEC E
Just Booked my Hotel for
Kentucky prediction
KY Suspends 4 Players for
4th & 1 Play

Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #121
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material
Default Re: Weight Training Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
Happy to see FloydTheBarber make an apperance in my gym last night!
Really wanted to last night as well, damn work!

Hopefully either tonight or tomorrow night I can before going home. I must say, if I show up tonight...it will be on 4 hours sleep.

To the rest of y'all- Gaichon knows his stuff. His crossfit classes are insane. Hating life during it, loving life as soon as its over.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #122
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

The older I've gotten, the more I've realized working out is all about diet and sleep and some great form lifting if you're trying to gain weight; and it's about making yourself feel terrible by pushing yourself to near puke and sweating your butt off if you're trying to carve. Doing both at once takes commitment.

It's very hard for a family man with a job to maintain that. I try and do a hard lift once a week, and carve it up twice a week. For each type of workout I never repeat anything I did the time before, and if I'm not motivated, I swim or run for 30 minutes. I also have stopped giving so much time to basic dumbell press and bicep stuff. I find that deadlifts or squats or small weight isolations like shoulder raises with perfect form and hold makes you look more beastly in the mirror. I'll be honest, I like playing a few sports to maintain useful skills and practical movements, but I work out to look good. I could care less what my bench number is.

It took me a while to stop chasing ridiculous max lifts and just focus on body maintenance. Anyone else have a similar experience as they got older?
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #123
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Crossfit is amazing for fitness if you can afford it. The prices vary, but that's my biggest drawback with it personally. Hard to pay for a newborn and that at the same time.

I don't want to embarrass myself by saying the wrong thing as we have an actual Crossfit trainer here, but I do want to give it some love for those who have never heard of it. As it was explained to me, the focus is on what they called the almighty NER (Neuroendorcin Response). You can read up on it here:

http://youcantu.blogspot.com/2008/09...effective.html

As it was described to me and with the Crossfit sessions I did do, (probably a total of 15-20) you cram as much work as you can into 10, 15 or 20 minutes increments. Sometimes its do 10 rounds of this as fast as you can, if that's 8 minutes great, if its 16 that's fine too, the point is you are pushing your body to the limits every time. Again, read up on it above to see the benefits.

They also try to keep it fun. The WOD's (Workout of the day) are named humorous things, like Fight Gone Bad, or the array of female names known collectively as "the girls". I guess saying you are about to do Isabel is your way of feeling better before you get your butt kicked.

But anyway, if you can do it, look into Crossfit. You'll get fit faster, and it will amaze you how much benefit you will see.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #124
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Crossfit is amazing for fitness if you can afford it. The prices vary, but that's my biggest drawback with it personally. Hard to pay for a newborn and that at the same time.

I don't want to embarrass myself by saying the wrong thing as we have an actual Crossfit trainer here, but I do want to give it some love for those who have never heard of it. As it was explained to me, the focus is on what they called the almighty NER (Neuroendorcin Response). You can read up on it here:

http://youcantu.blogspot.com/2008/09...effective.html

As it was described to me and with the Crossfit sessions I did do, (probably a total of 15-20) you cram as much work as you can into 10, 15 or 20 minutes increments. Sometimes its do 10 rounds of this as fast as you can, if that's 8 minutes great, if its 16 that's fine too, the point is you are pushing your body to the limits every time. Again, read up on it above to see the benefits.

They also try to keep it fun. The WOD's (Workout of the day) are named humorous things, like Fight Gone Bad, or the array of female names known collectively as "the girls". I guess saying you are about to do Isabel is your way of feeling better before you get your butt kicked.

But anyway, if you can do it, look into Crossfit. You'll get fit faster, and it will amaze you how much benefit you will see.
Concur with all. I've got a "regular gym" and crossfit affiliate as well. I believe there is merit to both techniques and to each his own. I personally err on the crossfit side, but can't say I don't fall back on a good ole 3 sets of 10 type of day every now and then. My lone problem with crossfit is the power yuppie crowd. A lot of crossfit boxes are full of nothing but snobbish young professionals with a "if you ain't doing crossfit you ain't sh*t" type of attitude - completely goes against the principles of the whole concept.

As for affordability, my place is EASILY the least expensive crossfit in dfw. Too bad there aren't more cockytalkers out here. A lot of the movements are extremely technical and good instruction comes at a cost, for sure. I've found way to keep my affordable while still focusing on lots of teaching. And beleive me, I've got 2 under 21 months at home - I know that's hard on time and money.

And HeadCockFan, you make a good point about workout priorities changing as life evolves. As a gen'l rule, if you know how much you bench - you're doing it wrong. Unless you're a competitive powerlifter.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #125
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidifieD View Post
Cockytalk should create a "Health and Fitness" subforum inside the Water Cooler. Seems like a pretty popular topic and we have a lot of knowledgeable people here, could provide for some interesting and more "specific" threads.
Bump.

Also, something I just saw yesterday - former Carolina WR Jamie Scott opened up a gym behind Whole Foods shopping plaza off Devine Street (or Garner's Ferry). The place is called Jamie Scott Fitness.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #126
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Looking to put together a new schedule. Decided to check out some of the templates on BB.com and found one that looks like a good starting point. 4 workout days.

Day 1: Overhead press, side lateral raise, bent over rear delt raise, dumbbell tricep extensions, tricep push downs

Day 2: Barbell squats, stiff-legged deadlift

Day 3: Dips, bench press, incline bench press

Day 4: Preacher hammer curls, close grip barbell curls, pullups, bent over rows

Looking to tweak a few things here and there, but I like what I see so far. These are all exercises I've done before and like, and I'd rather do more compound lifts than do like nine different bicep exercises in one session. Is there anything obvious that's missing? I think I'm probably going to add something for back at the very least.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #127
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyle41386 View Post
Looking to put together a new schedule. Decided to check out some of the templates on BB.com and found one that looks like a good starting point. 4 workout days.

Day 1: Overhead press, side lateral raise, bent over rear delt raise, dumbbell tricep extensions, tricep push downs

Day 2: Barbell squats, stiff-legged deadlift

Day 3: Dips, bench press, incline bench press

Day 4: Preacher hammer curls, close grip barbell curls, pullups, bent over rows

Looking to tweak a few things here and there, but I like what I see so far. These are all exercises I've done before and like, and I'd rather do more compound lifts than do like nine different bicep exercises in one session. Is there anything obvious that's missing? I think I'm probably going to add something for back at the very least.
Biggest thing that stands out is the order. Flip the order of exercises you have listed for days 3 and 4.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #128
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
Biggest thing that stands out is the order. Flip the order of exercises you have listed for days 3 and 4.
I didn't think that looked right. Good call. I'll definitely reorganize a little bit. Thanks.