CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
NAGamecockFan
kingofnerf
BigRedCock
El Cid Ranger
taylorssc
cockybreeyan
ReadR00ster
Goofyboy
rrsandersjr
Freshman ND WR " (760)
Call of Duty: Advanc (502)
Good Riddance to bad (425)
Keeping tailgate foo (303)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (268)
An A to Z of Noah We (188)
The Comeback & T (177)
Bashing Players, coa (139)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (86)
NCAAF: SOUTHERN CAL (74)
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Bashing Players, coaches,
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Texas athletic director:
Why I think we beat Aubur
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
SEC Debate: Best candidat
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
Rank the QBs under Spurri

Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #41
CockyATO
Flipping Recruits

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Which football program mirrors ours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGamecock View Post
I think a program we currently mirror would be Oklahoma State.
  • Head Coach- Offensive Minded, outspoken
  • Current State of Program- Program on the rise. Middle of the pack team who has went on to challenge the traditional powers. A team to be reckoned with now.
  • Championships- Big 12 Title vs. SEC East Title
  • Recruiting Base- Both of our coaches have designated areas we recruit from and tend not to stray to far from it. Their Texas is our Georgia.
  • Home State- Both have talented prospects but cannot fill our recruiting classes with just homegrown talent. Both of us have another BCS school that we compete with for the talent. OKlahoma Population 3.8 Million vs. SC- 4.8 million
  • Media Perception- Both are programs that are now gaining respect amongst the talking heads. Recently went from being "Dark Horses" in the conference to being upper echelon. The team others want to beat.
  • Perception to Recruits- We recruit better
  • Program Value- New facilities, hot teams within conference
I also look it at this way in terms of their Rivalry. Let's get something straight Clemson is NOT Oklahoma (no one can argue that) however they had the better record for years until recently. Clemson and Oklahoma both get love in the Preseason that quite frankly they don't deserve. Oklahoma State hasn't beat OK 4 times in a row but they are definitely matching up now. Obviosuly there are some flaws in this but no program is an exact mirror but I think I would consider them.
Ah I was going to say OK State as well. But we've talked about this before SimpleG

Another N00k production
CockyATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #42
cocky2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 100796
cocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervous

Kansas State comes to mind for me. Historically mediocre and breaking out the past 2 seasons.
cocky2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #43
cockypastor
Exiled in Hogland

Male

cockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his comb

Missouri, a historically mediocre program that's had some recent success. If memory serves correctly they were #2 in the country only to lose in the Big 12 championship game, and thus have still not made it to a BCS bowl.
cockypastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #44
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky2007 View Post
Kansas State comes to mind for me. Historically mediocre and breaking out the past 2 seasons.
I agree Kansas State probably fits best just because they were mediocre/awful before Snyder got there in 89. They are one of the few D1 programs with more losses than we have.

Kansas State has broken out before just the past 2 seasons though. They had some success under Snyder during his first stint, winning the Big 12 in 03 was probably the highlight.

Also I always think of Michigan State and NC state as having similar programs to us.
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #45
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

K-State is who I thought of as well. Coaching makes all the difference.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #46
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
One that comes to mind for me is Michigan State.

That's the answer I've given any time this comes up. Solid program but more traditional powers in every direction that make it difficult to get over the hump.

Of course there's the Dantonio connection, but that's not relevant to the point, really.

Never considered it, but I like the Okie St comparision, too. Nationally 2d fiddle in their state, etc. etc.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #47
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Stop the fan comparisons, it would be different now if we had a losing season, but traditionally, no fans were as loud as us in losing seasons from my understanding of our reputation and observations my few years of following during the Holtz years. Hell, Clemmies put their orange away during bad seasons.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #48
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Mich State is not good to be compared too.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #49
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
Arkansas, IMO.

When they had elite talent, they were fantastic. When they had good coaching, they were very competive and great. When they had poor coaching, they struggled.

Arkansas has a far better history though. In the 60s, 70, and 80s they were a power. They've been to multiple Orange, Cotton, Sugar, and Fiesta Bowls. They've been to something like 40 bowl games and have won a National Championship.

I'd say we are probably closer to a school like Oklahoma State. Very little tradition at OSU, but in the last 4-5 years they've been very strong. They are competing instate with a program that does have a better football past than they do. Also, they rely a lot on out of state recruiting like us. Only difference is we don't have a Boone Pickens
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #50
Percy Jackson
Walk On

Male

Percy Jackson has feathers coming inPercy Jackson has feathers coming in

There are some good answers in this thread, including the Okie State analysis. However, the problem with this thread, for me, is that most fans around the country won't be so analytical. The only thing they'll consider is results on the field. The perception out here in the Rocky Mountains is that USC is the Arkansas of the SEC East.

However, it is interesting to note the TAMU comparison this past season. We ended with identical records. We both lost to the same teams (FL/LSU) and we both handed the SECCG game opponents (AL/GA) their only regular season loss.
Percy Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #51
Jleo
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Jleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talons

Oklahoma State

Jleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #52
Gamecock Stock
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
The craziness in the Lawing thread made me think of reviving this old topic. Surely there will be some venom created by this thread, and perhaps some aimed at me for (gasp) asking such a question.

So, with or without your garnet goggles, tell us what football program closely mirrors our own, and why.

Some things you might consider:
  • Head Coach
  • Current State of Program
  • Championships
  • Recruiting Base
  • Home State
  • Media Perception
  • Perception to Recruits
  • Program Value
In my mind, ancient history holds little water in this debate unless one is referring to national titles. Duke, Army, and Navy all have rich history from way back. I'd rather see a current example of other programs on our level.

Have at it!
If you use a time frame of the past 10 years, my answer is Tennessee. Very few coaches are in Spurrier's class. But I think UT hired a good coach. They have had a tough 4-5 recent years. I don't think they've won a championship the past 10 years. Their recruiting base is the southeast. Their home state is about the same size as South Carolina. I think the past several years have diminished their perception. They are the flagship school of their state. They are in an urban setting. Their fans eat, drink and take in football air 365 days a year. Their academics and South Carolina's are comparable.
Gamecock Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #53
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyness11 View Post
I would say Oregon!!! A program on the rise, but just can't get over that last hurdle!!We both had 1 or 2 hiccups the last couple of seasons and it cost both of us in the end!! The only difference is they have the high power Offense who keeps them winning games and we have a very stingy deffense who keeps us in alot of games for us too win!!!
No... We don't have an Uncle Phil (Knight) like they do... He is the sole reason Oregon is doing so well.

If I had to pick my top 5 we are similar to(In each BCS conference)...

ACC: Virgina Tech
PAC-12: Arizona
Big 10: Michigan State
Big-12: West Virginia or Kansas State
Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #54
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

CockyCash: 100500
johnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot material

K-state

Old coach, decent recruiting (not going to blow you away 5 and 4 stars), recent success

Last edited by johnmcclane; 01-31-2013 at 02:29 PM.
johnmcclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #55
Moe$
Walk On

Male

Moe$ has earned his spursMoe$ has earned his spursMoe$ has earned his spursMoe$ has earned his spursMoe$ has earned his spursMoe$ has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Florida.

Before Spurrier, they were mediocre with no SEC titles.
I'd say Arky---Fla. We were Arky. on our way (very close) to S.O.S' Fla. and beyond !

Okla. st.? Mitch-again St.??? Texas tech....a little but to hell with "guns up..wreck 'em tech " and Lubbock ???
Moe$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #56
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe$ View Post
I'd say Arky---Fla. We were Arky. on our way (very close) to S.O.S' Fla. and beyond !

Okla. st.? Mitch-again St.??? Texas tech....a little but to hell with "guns up..wreck 'em tech " and Lubbock ???
We were Arky? Now we're very close to being Florida? lol... dude, Arkansas was recently dominating us until last season... and we're nowhere near being a program like Florida at this point. Maybe in a decade if we win a few SEC's and a BCS title.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #57
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky2007 View Post
How do you account for their great teams in the 90s? My point is that this is not the first 2 years they have been good.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #58
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

CockyCash: 600
upstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Florida.

Before Spurrier, they were mediocre with no SEC titles.
I agree, Florida of the early to mid 80's. spurrier could turn out to be usc's Charlie Pell (hopefully minus the ensuing probation) or better. Similar records and rankings (top ten), won games against highly ranked opponents and eventual NC winner, but never got over the championship hump, some very high profile recruits who helped raise program to different level, similar improvements to facilities and finances, similar loyal fan bases. The differences probably lay in the home state and quantity of quality recruits in state.
upstatescw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #59
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatescw View Post
I agree, Florida of the early to mid 80's. spurrier could turn out to be usc's Charlie Pell (hopefully minus the ensuing probation) or better. Similar records and rankings (top ten), won games against highly ranked opponents and eventual NC winner, but never got over the championship hump, some very high profile recruits who helped raise program to different level, similar improvements to facilities and finances, similar loyal fan bases. The differences probably lay in the home state and quantity of quality recruits in state.
To hell with pell. He wasn't there long enough to factor into it. Their Spurrier is our Spurrier.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #60
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

CockyCash: 600
upstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
To hell with pell. He wasn't there long enough to factor into it. Their Spurrier is our Spurrier.
Not yet, he would need to win a few SEC championships and a NC before he leaves first.

And the time Pell spent at Florida really isn't relevant, the impact he had is similar to what spurrier has had at USC so far.
upstatescw is offline   Reply With Quote