CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
uscjeremynca
Acockolypse Now
b381l
MACXIMVS
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
Spurticus
sporkgod50
Lonnie
Backup QB competitio (1396)
Blake McClain (1367)
What ever happened t (1256)
2014 Preseason USA T (771)
Ranking the SEC Fema (524)
Clowney's Madden Rat (435)
Ebola Outbreak (358)
2017 - Jaden Hunter (334)
Daily Dose of Food P (303)
2016 - B.J. Emmons (288)
Future Non-Conference Sch
Signee James Thompson arr
Backup QB competition
Shaw Interview: SB Nation
New Reserved Sections for
Away game ticket requests
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Official SEC Network and
2015 - Carlton Davis
2014 Preseason USA Today/

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 700
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly
Default Re: People that think the sky is falling and our coaches are awful at their jobs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Guys, we have TWO LOIs to give out. It's not the end of the world if they are carried over to 2014.
Agreed! 2014 is stacked with talent. And when we look back at this class and say dang that was an awesome class thanks to Mitch........ Just saying we have to wait a year or 2 to really see if this is a good class!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #22
ac_lanham
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
ac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spurs
Default Re: People that think the sky is falling and our coaches are awful at their jobs:

Here's my opinion about fans who “freak" out if it counts for anything and why I don't think it's a bad thing. Granted, we as fans are happy with the best stretch of football that Carolina has ever seen but at the same time, wouldn't you at some point want to see more than just a solid (but not great) recruiting class or a great (but not perfect) football season or are you content with getting to Outback or Capital One bowls and never taking that step forward to a BCS bowl? Wouldn't you want the coaches and players to strive to take things to the next level, or should they be content?

I equate this to being a fan of a good playoff caliber football team that gets there every year but never makes the Super Bowl. At some point, just once, isn't that something you want to see them strive for and achieve.

I'm not upset about this recruiting cycle at all, but at the same time I think we and the coaches would agree that they could've done better considering that they had a very good season.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #23
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Our Coaches have assembled a top 20 class in a very down year in SC. You all should be happy with where we are instead of crying about a 18 year old who you have no clue - regardless how high they are ranked - will or will not pan out. Seriously, I hate to see how you handle real adversity in everyday life when it strikes you.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I would blame the linebackers coach, but we weren't really doing a great job on signing day with the LBs basically since shaq and reggie bowens and those guys signed up. Must be a system thing.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #25
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

Like C2 said previously. We will never be that team to sign multiple 5* guys and such. We don't go outside our recruiting territory, simply because we don't have many connections outside of SC, NC, GA, FL and a couple others. We have just recently made a name for ourselves and that will show dividends in the 2014 and 2015 class. As you already see with in-state talents we're either leading heavily or tied. And you also see us in Hands top 5 earlyyy! Now how many Top National players with numerous big offers have you ever seen USC in the top 5 unless they were in-state? Also look at the RB from NC, #1 APB in the nation and we lead BIG. So just give it time, we don't need stars we need our evaluation of talent and if we hit a couple big time guys then that adds more flavor. But just give it time and you will see these last two seasons make headway in the new classes.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #26
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGEGARNETCOCK View Post
Agreed! 2014 is stacked with talent. And when we look back at this class and say dang that was an awesome class thanks to Mitch........ Just saying we have to wait a year or 2 to really see if this is a good class!
EXACTLY!!! ^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Some of our best classes as far as 5 star and 4 star rankings go have turned out to be DUDS....where as some of our worst LOOKING class as far as getting 3 stars have turned out to be great classes. Like ETG is saying...our coaches know what they are doing...don't feed in to this 4 and 5 star crap! Yeah...yeah...yeah...i know...Clowney was a 5 star...so was Latti (according to some boards he was a 4 star)...but some of our best players we have ever had were 3 stars who our coaches have turned in to 5 star talent...they know what they are doing

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #27
CharlotteGameCock
Recruit

Male

CharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudly

As long as we keep landing coachable talent that develops, I am happy.

I would much rather win on the field than on the rivals/ESPN/247 rankings.

I think there just tends to be a lot of people on here that like to put themselves in situations where they 'win' no matter what. If they are negative and we lose a game or a recruit, they can say 'I told you so' to the optimists. If we win or land the recruit, they can say they're glad they're wrong.

I just want a lot of these people to go back and read their posts from the Na'Ty Rodgers thread. So much negativity was thrown out at our coaching staff for a player we actually landed. If you want to meltdown, shouldn't you at least wait until Ngakoue or Bryant or Moore or whoever the hell else actually publically commits to another school? It just makes you look like a tool if they surprise you and become Gamecocks.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #28
CockaThaWalk
Kick Dawgs Peel Taters

Male

CockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervous

Of course, everyone is overly eager for the next step. SEC east, to SEC, to BCS, to NCG. But Spurrier could finish 120th in recruiting and I'd still wake up a Gamecock fan the next day. Chill. The worst is behind, next year will be solid. Many of these 3 star guys will blossom. Looking forward to a clean sweep on Clemson for the rest the HBC's career.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #29
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

My husband said there is a link on Gamecock Central that leads to the story about Matt Rolin. He felt neglected by our staff after he hurt his knee. Florida cuddled him more. I guess our staff felt he was committed to us. Kids think strange things. Some guys are very needy. I guess we don't cuddle enough for some guys.
When I look at next year I see more talent here.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #30
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

We should not lose multiple recruits, that we specifically target to schools like Maryland and USF, ever. We should never lose a recruit who was one of our first commitments and recruited for us, and had Gamecock ties, ever. Those are glaring losses that should not happen.

That being said, with the limited number of scholarships that we have, it may work in our favor next year when we have more high ranking in-state kids.

I will accept that this year simply wasn't in the cards, but there should be no excuse what's so ever not to have a top 5-7 class next year. Anything less is not acceptable.

Our window is open to really be a national contender and a powerhouse in the SEC, if we don't recruit while we have kids like Latimore and Clowney, when will we?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #31
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

SpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet girl View Post
My husband said there is a link on Gamecock Central that leads to the story about Matt Rolin. He felt neglected by our staff after he hurt his knee. Florida cuddled him more. I guess our staff felt he was committed to us. Kids think strange things. Some guys are very needy. I guess we don't cuddle enough for some guys.
If true, then we didn't want Rolin anyway ... or any other recruit that needs to by cuddled for that matter. Sounds like an episode of 'Tantrums and Tiara's' (not that I have ever watched!!).
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #32
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet girl View Post
I have long said that Matt Rolin can do whatever he really wanted to do, but to say he was neglected by the staff when he is from Virginia and the team Doctor for USC ended up doing the surgery is a little silly. Yes, his insurance paid for it, and yes, that doctor has a private practice. But there is a reason Matt Rolin went to him.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #33
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah. Go face palm your own posts! Have you seen those duds? Lol
I have no problems with disappointment or criticism of either coaching or recruiting. Calling a group of recruits "duds" is a little beyond a laugh, however. Many who follow recruiting have little idea about the intricacies and factors involved in targeting, wooing, and landing a recruit. Some programs recruit with little integrity. Some go after stars and end up with poor team balance. Some target others' recruits. Some hire coaches and then "poach." I feel generally good about the integrity and results of the recruiting at Carolina, but overall, as in many endeavors, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. With recruiting, the pudding often needs a couple of years to brew before the results are known.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #34
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I have no problems with disappointment or criticism of either coaching or recruiting. Calling a group of recruits "duds" is a little beyond a laugh, however. Many who follow recruiting have little idea about the intricacies and factors involved in targeting, wooing, and landing a recruit. Some programs recruit with little integrity. Some go after stars and end up with poor team balance. Some target others' recruits. Some hire coaches and then "poach." I feel generally good about the integrity and results of the recruiting at Carolina, but overall, as in many endeavors, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. With recruiting, the pudding often needs a couple of years to brew before the results are known.
In all fairness, while I heartily disagree with everything the guy you are referring to has said about recruiting, I think he was calling your posts duds, not the recruits themselves.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #35
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Important to remember a couple of things

1. We recruited heavy this year on Offensive line, rarely do you see 5* offensive linemen
2. We did not recruit heavily on wide receiver, usually a hotbed for 5*
3. We are filling needs this year with good talent
4. Long time SC commitments rarely move up in star rankings for some reason

There is more, but I will let the recruiting GURU's fill in the blanks.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #36
Smashies_AC30
The Garnet Invasion

Male

Smashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Guys, we have TWO LOIs to give out. It's not the end of the world if they are carried over to 2014.
Frankly, 2014 is the cycle to be amped about and have the LOI's ready for, if you ask me. They say cut your losses and move on, and I feel like 2013's losses are about to be 2014's gains.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #37
Smashies_AC30
The Garnet Invasion

Male

Smashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegthecock View Post
Important to remember a couple of things

1. We recruited heavy this year on Offensive line, rarely do you see 5* offensive linemen
2. We did not recruit heavily on wide receiver, usually a hotbed for 5*
3. We are filling needs this year with good talent
4. Long time SC commitments rarely move up in star rankings for some reason

There is more, but I will let the recruiting GURU's fill in the blanks.
True statement. I agree that star rankings are NOT as great of a guarantee as many people think they are.

If I had to pick a reliable quantifier that showed how good a recruit is, I would sooner look to their rank-by-position than their star count. This is ESPECIALLY useful when you're looking at positions that rarely bring 5* status.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #38
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
We should not lose multiple recruits, that we specifically target to schools like Maryland and USF, ever. We should never lose a recruit who was one of our first commitments and recruited for us, and had Gamecock ties, ever. Those are glaring losses that should not happen.
Agree with the 2nd part, disagree completely with the 1st part. If you were talking about an instate kid, I would say absolutely but Ngakoue and Senat are players in those respective school's backyard. Any school is going to have an uphill battle on their hands if the recruit entertains the idea of staying home and playing in front of family. Its rare you get a kid that is dead set on going out of state.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #39
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

If USC finishes with Skai Moore, this class is money. Do you guys realize that we have THREE instate commitments? You know how many instate kids we offered? 7. (Park, King, Turner, Williams, Terry, Hill, Durant). That tells you all you need to know about the state this year. The fact that USC put together a probable Top 15 class built almost solely on out of state talent, is borderline amazing.

For reference, you know how many instate offers USC has out for 2014? 12. And the evaluation period hasn't even started.

They've already offered 4 for 2015.

Soak it in.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #40
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
If USC finishes with Skai Moore, this class is money. Do you guys realize that we have THREE instate commitments? You know how many instate kids we offered? 7. (Park, King, Turner, Williams, Terry, Hill, Durant). That tells you all you need to know about the state this year. The fact that USC put together a probable Top 15 class built almost solely on out of state talent, is borderline amazing.

For reference, you know how many instate offers USC has out for 2014? 12. And the evaluation period hasn't even started.

They've already offered 4 for 2015.

Soak it in.
This post should be required reading.
Closed Thread