CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Regalcock
JerseyBird
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
smoovecock
markymark550
b381l
The Yancey
CockyGuy
Chattanooga upends N (914)
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (877)
NEW Pics from South (632)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (328)
This Doctor Fell In (278)
Happy Thanksgiving C (213)
Strategy First Steam (129)
Penniless: Creed's S (85)
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Texans getting frustrated
Garcia vs Clemson Tom
Palmetto Bowl
Bowl projections
Carolina/Clemson game dre
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Name a Gamecock
Alshon - Bose

Old 02-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Cobb864
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cobb864 has hatched from the shell
Default Receivers?

Yo -

Forgive me being a little late on the news... but... last time I had looked into things.... Ace was going to be coming back and I was stoked.

Ellington and Sanders imo are all we have going on as far as receivers. However, now that I see Ace is moving on... I'm pretty worried.

Byrd is decent but drops the ball a lot. Some of our other guys are underwhelming.

I don't keep up with draft information to be honest - I do check rivals from time to time. Do we have anyone coming up this year?

What do you guys think about the receiver situation. I think we could be underwhelming next year if we don't have some existing players step it up. I think Ace is a huge part of the team.

Knowing that Ace is gone really bums me out so bad because he was one hell of a punt returner as well as receiver and he saved us many times this year in close situations.

It's going to take a ton to make up for having Ace gone. I'm going to miss him putting 6 on the board with those insane returns.

So bummed about that... probably being little over zealous but still...

Just saying....

What do you guys think?
Cobb864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Receivers?

The receiver spot is definitely a position of concern. Bruce is the only one that seems to be reliable at this time. Byrd & Jones are a hit and miss. Some games they do well, then the next, they're no where to be found. Shaq looks promising, but appears he's still adjusting. Everyone else is inexperienced and unknown. We won't know anything until the season begins, because I'm one of those people who finds their practice/scrimmage stats completely useless. They may light it up in practice, but that doesn't mean they will light it up in a game.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

rt3891 has hatched from the shell

These guys are just gonna have to step up, bottom line. Roland, Brent, Jeffrey, Smith, Fuller, Byrd and even Adams and Owens at tight end, all are gonna have to step it up. We pretty much know what Bruce and Buster are capable of, we just need everyone else to do their part.
rt3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

rt3891 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
The receiver spot is definitely a position of concern. Bruce is the only one that seems to be reliable at this time. Byrd & Jones are a hit and miss. Some games they do well, then the next, they're no where to be found. Shaq looks promising, but appears he's still adjusting. Everyone else is inexperienced and unknown. We won't know anything until the season begins, because I'm one of those people who finds their practice/scrimmage stats completely useless. They may light it up in practice, but that doesn't mean they will light it up in a game.
Forgot about Nicky Jones, he certainly has shown flashes of brilliance, but as you said, isn't always found out there for whatever reason.
rt3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb864 View Post
Yo -

Forgive me being a little late on the news... but... last time I had looked into things.... Ace was going to be coming back and I was stoked.

Ellington and Sanders imo are all we have going on as far as receivers. However, now that I see Ace is moving on... I'm pretty worried.

Byrd is decent but drops the ball a lot. Some of our other guys are underwhelming.

I don't keep up with draft information to be honest - I do check rivals from time to time. Do we have anyone coming up this year?

What do you guys think about the receiver situation. I think we could be underwhelming next year if we don't have some existing players step it up. I think Ace is a huge part of the team.

Knowing that Ace is gone really bums me out so bad because he was one hell of a punt returner as well as receiver and he saved us many times this year in close situations.

It's going to take a ton to make up for having Ace gone. I'm going to miss him putting 6 on the board with those insane returns.

Just saying....

What do you guys think?

We will be fine at receiver IMHO. Bruce Ellington played major roles last year as did Damiere Byrd. The QBs will find ways to get the ball to those two as well as Nick Jones, Shaq Roland, Shamier Jeffrey, and the tight ends/running backs. The receivers that you guys are so down on and "disappointed in" don't have much experience yet.

It is punt returns where we may feel his absence most.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1021420
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

We are loaded with unproven talent. Just need some players to step up, nick jones is similar build to ace, maybe he can come in at punt returner? Idk.

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
CockOla
Game MVP

Male

CockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
We will be fine at receiver IMHO. Bruce Ellington played major roles last year as did Damiere Byrd...
It is punt returns where we may feel his absence most.

From what I've heard/read, relieve or help is on the way come Weds, 6 FEB 13 once the ink has dried on the LOI from Sir Pharaoh Cooper out of NC.
CockOla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
gamecockguy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

I'm looking for Nick Jones to burst onto the scene in the SEC this year and grab some attention as long as he can hold onto his starting position at B (pretty sure he is still there and should get more PT now that DL Moore has graduated)
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

I smell tater!
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #10
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb864 View Post
Yo -

Just saying....

What do you guys think?

You will see Shaq Roland, Nick Jones, Kwinton Smith and Jody Fuller really step up next year. Our problem is less the receiver and more the QB not getting the ball out of his hand and letting his receiver make a play. When DT is back there, he throws to the WRs. When Connor is back there, he prefers the dump routes to backs and TEs which leave the WRs hanging. I think next year you will see even more Dylan and the WRs will blow up. We do not lack talent at WR. We have plenty. We just have to rely on them and let them make a play. So happy to see Connor stick that ball to Byrd in the first drive of the outback bowl. He needs to do a bit more of that.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #11
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime843 View Post
I smell tater!
Yep. Me too.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 126034
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

100% fried Tater
Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #13
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Not only did you miss the news on Ace, but there was a gas shortage and a flock of seagulls as well.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:50 AM   #14
CockaThaWalk
Kick Dawgs Peel Taters

Male

CockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervous

Not worried about the receiver position. Dylan Thompson will take care of it.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #15
Cobb864
Walk On

Male

Cobb864 has hatched from the shell

Good point about DT being able to air it out to receivers. In the past, I've become more accustom to CS's style of play and realize he didn't exactly always put it down field.

I tell you I'm going to miss Justice too! He was such a amazing TE imo. Honestly, I don't think Justice missed a pass all year!
Cobb864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockholio View Post
Not only did you miss the news on Ace, but there was a gas shortage and a flock of seagulls as well.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #17
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Damiere Byrd had ONE drop bad drop last year. Quit it people.

But to answer your questions the receiving core looks like this:

B - Nick Jones / Kwinton Smith
Z - Damiere Byrd / KJ Brent / Jody Fuller
X - Bruce Ellington / Shamier Jeffery or Shaq Roland

KJ Brent got moved to slot receiver because of his size in attempt to get the run game going. Shamier Jeffery is said to be having a an excellent offseason so far. His talent isn't in question. Jody Fuller enters the mix and he is a prototypical slot receiver. Kwinton Smith had a huge redshirt season working with the scout team, he gets the opportunity to become our big receiver if he can beat out Nick Jones who produces every time he gets the opportunity.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

Last edited by CoverTwo; 02-02-2013 at 09:48 AM.
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

we're set up pretty good right now with a starting lineup of ellington/byrd/jones. ellington started playing like an all sec caliber receiver down the stretch of the season. jones is a solid starter and byrd if nothing else is as good of a deep threat as there is in the nation. we'll need some of the younger guys to step up, but its a unit that could be int he discussion for best in the sec.

its doubtful we'll have anyone to replace ace's agility and ability to beat press coverage, but we have talented guys who will make plays.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #19
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Is Spurrier still our coach? Then we have no worries at WR position.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

The white guy from arkansas
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote