CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
JerseyBird
smoovecock
Regalcock
b381l
johnnyb
markymark550
RGHoskins
**USC vs. UNC-Ashevi (2087)
Constant Updates on (1953)
Brad Lawing (1783)
Alshon - Bose (1093)
Ced Cooper (#18) sta (1012)
Garcia vs Clemson To (977)
How cool would it be (887)
Carolina/Clemson gam (675)
Palmetto Bowl (558)
Chattanooga upends N (418)
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Constant Updates on Watso
Chattanooga upends No. 4
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Palmetto Bowl
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Andrew Clifford Scooter A
Carolina/Clemson game dre
Garcia vs Clemson Tom
NEW Pics from South Alaba

Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #41
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins
Default Re: Waitress fired after posting pastor's no tip receipt online

Nobody wins here. I would've fired the waitress too and the customer needs to stop calling herself a preacher in public.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #42
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1022824
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

If the service was good and there was a large party she should have paid. Many times the required tip for large parties actually costs waitresses money because if the service is really good I tip 25%. But if the service sux which is the case many times I leave the minimum. That's why its called a gratuity.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #43
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
who wants to bet that this particular preaches does not tithe either
This.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #44
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

The Pastor should maybe consult her bible.

Proverbs 19:17
2 Corinthians 9:7
Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #45
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

FYI, for those saying "wait staff only gets $3 per hour and that is gone from taxes" please know that is only in certain states, like South Carolina. South Carolina is one of the worst as they don't give enough damn to make their own state laws and use the Federal minimum of $2.13/hr. In Florida, wait staff make about $5 per hour plus tips...other states as much or more. I'd say if you work an hour and wait on 3 couples who eat for $40 and tip you 20% at $8 per table...you just made $27 that hour in South Carolina...which is more than enough (and deserved) for their skill. That is just crazy.

I do also want to note that their checks are "all tax" because otherwise the government wouldn't get anything out of them- do you think they all keep track of the cash they get tipped?

Last but not least, while I am an above average tipper...I do think tipping has got out of control and needs a reform in this country. PERCENTAGE should be thrown out the window. Why should a waitress make more for me ordering a more expensive meal while doing the same amount of work? Why should the waitress who works at Outback make more than the waitress who busts her ass at Lizard's Thicket or Applebees?

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #46
damron
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1800
damron is sharpening his clawsdamron is sharpening his clawsdamron is sharpening his clawsdamron is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
Usually people who post receipts like this end up getting fired. There is probably something in their handbook that prohibits it.

I hope that pastor's congregation sees how she acted. Using God as an excuse to not give a tip? Wtf?!? That is one of the more pathetic things I've ever seen.

The pastor is only embarrassed because she got caught.
The pastor DID NOT not give a tip...she was forced to give an $18 % tip (due to a certain number of customers in her party / at her table - which is another "discussion" entirely) and did not want to give an ADDITIONAL tip...I'll just say, regarding the "mandatory gratuity" a lot of restaurants now apply, I think that is a crock...back to this incident, though - the pastor did not get CAUGHT doing anything...I do agree it was in poor taste to leave the "rude" comment, though, and I do think she should blame herself as well as the waitress for being "embarassed"...RMO III
damron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #47
damron
Blue Chip

Male

damron is sharpening his clawsdamron is sharpening his clawsdamron is sharpening his clawsdamron is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Bad move on the preacher, bad move on the waitress.
I agree 100%...I think a lot of people are blaming the pastor mostly for this...the waitress is as much, if not more, to blame...the pastor already was obligated to give an 18% gratuity due to the number of people in her party - a "rule" a lot of restaurants have in place today...could the pator have handled this better, say by letting the waitress know verbally in private why she was not getting an ADDITONAL tip?...certainly...but, absolutely no excuse in what the waitress did...that was the epitome of spite...again, the pastor COULD have handled it better, too...I guess this experience will be a life lesson for her, just as it is for the waitress who was fired - and rightfully so...RMO III
Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #48
Blinkimgone
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 300
Blinkimgone has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
If the service was good and there was a large party she should have paid. Many times the required tip for large parties actually costs waitresses money because if the service is really good I tip 25%. But if the service sux which is the case many times I leave the minimum. That's why its called a gratuity.
So if the service is bad, you leave a tip?
Blinkimgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #49
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

My wife says that I tip excessively. But I realize most these people are just like us trying to support a family. That being said, I sometimes even question myself... Why should I tip for bad service
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #50
damron
Blue Chip

Male

o.k....I have to further comment...I quickly scanned thru this thread...I had heard about this "story" y-day at work...after reading the article and assuming what is in there is accurate, I truly believe the pastor was "commenting" re: the 18 % mandatory charge, which obviously is in practice in a lot of restaurants...in my opinion, she had no ill-will towards her server or dining experience and I believe a lot of people are turning this into a "cheapskate didn't leave a tip" tale......I believe most have missed the boat here, esp. in regards to the pastor's actions...the pastor left an additional $6 cash FOR HER SERVER...the server's co-worker is the one who put the receipt online...ABSOLUTELY she should have been fired for that...as I mentioned earlier, that is the definition of spite...of course the pastor could have avoided all of this by not commenting on her receipt w/ an admittedly rude comment...RMO III
Old 02-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #51
KC85
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
KC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
My wife says that I tip excessively. But I realize most these people are just like us trying to support a family. That being said, I sometimes even question myself... Why should I tip for bad service
I tip 20% and accordingly to their performance. I have no problem showing them what kind of job they did. Good or bad
KC85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #52
damron
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
Nobody wins here. I would've fired the waitress too and the customer needs to stop calling herself a preacher in public.
pretty good summation, though I'm not so sure the pastor meant the "story" she caused...and surely the co-worker who actually posted the receipt did not intend it to go so far as to get herself fired...both sides learn a lesson...RMO III
Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #53
damron
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
FYI, for those saying "wait staff only gets $3 per hour and that is gone from taxes" please know that is only in certain states, like South Carolina. South Carolina is one of the worst as they don't give enough damn to make their own state laws and use the Federal minimum of $2.13/hr. In Florida, wait staff make about $5 per hour plus tips...other states as much or more. I'd say if you work an hour and wait on 3 couples who eat for $40 and tip you 20% at $8 per table...you just made $27 that hour in South Carolina...which is more than enough (and deserved) for their skill. That is just crazy.

I do also want to note that their checks are "all tax" because otherwise the government wouldn't get anything out of them- do you think they all keep track of the cash they get tipped?

Last but not least, while I am an above average tipper...I do think tipping has got out of control and needs a reform in this country. PERCENTAGE should be thrown out the window. Why should a waitress make more for me ordering a more expensive meal while doing the same amount of work? Why should the waitress who works at Outback make more than the waitress who busts her ass at Lizard's Thicket or Applebees?
lots of good points...RMO III
Old 02-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #54
Cocks and Canes
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Cocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot material

A lot of people are saying the 18% was added in already. I do not think that is the case, as if it was there would be a subtotal underneath the tip adding that total to the $34.93. I believe the 18% was put there to let the customer know what 18% would be on that check, as many restaurants now do. I'm pretty sure this joke of a pastor did not pay a single cent over the original bill.
Cocks and Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #55
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

At least she is just a waitress and can find a better job

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #56
KC85
Banned

Male

KC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocks and Canes View Post
A lot of people are saying the 18% was added in already. I do not think that is the case, as if it was there would be a subtotal underneath the tip adding that total to the $34.93. I believe the 18% was put there to let the customer know what 18% would be on that check, as many restaurants now do. I'm pretty sure this joke of a pastor did not pay a single cent over the original bill.
I thought the same thing but I think the total that was above it already had it totalled in be cause where she had the 0 was for the additional tip.
KC85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #57
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

I always tip 20% or a little more of the total bill. But I'll drop it to 10% if the service is bad. I never tip below that.

What's funny is most everyone tips on the total bill...when we really should tip on the amount less the tax.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #58
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post

I've gotta ask...have you ever worked in the service industry?

Also, you cannot take your one hour example and extrapolate based on that. For every one hour that you make 27 an hour, there are many more where you make 5 an hour.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #59
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
At least she is just a waitress and can find a better job
She was a waitress at an Applebee's. what makes you think a better job is so easily available to her in this job market?

I'm always amazed at the ignorance in every one of your posts.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #60
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 57400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
I've gotta ask...have you ever worked in the service industry?

Also, you cannot take your one hour example and extrapolate based on that. For every one hour that you make 27 an hour, there are many more where you make 5 an hour.
Very good point. People also don't take into account what is going on behind the scenes by servers to make your experience enjoyable. It isn't as simple as putting a food order in and bringing it out to the table. Many times they are washing dishes, making salads, stocking plates and lifting buckets of ice, that silverware you get in the neat little roll don't roll themselves, (yeah not exactly hard but very time consuming and that 30 seconds you waited to get your tea filled that is what they were doing.) Don't forget about the couple of hours that are spent setting up in the morning and the hour or so after you are not taking tables that you are cleaning the store all for $2.13hr. If you have never worked in the service industry, you shouldn't discount what they do because you don't really know what they do.