CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
Regalcock
JerseyBird
smoovecock
b381l
johnnyb
markymark550
RGHoskins
Constant Updates on (2578)
Brad Lawing (1783)
Alshon - Bose (1228)
Garcia vs Clemson To (1155)
How cool would it be (1031)
Carolina/Clemson gam (838)
Palmetto Bowl (757)
Chattanooga upends N (636)
NEW Pics from South (334)
Where to watch in Ar (235)
Constant Updates on Watso
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Carolina/Clemson game dre
How cool would it be to..
Chattanooga upends No. 4
Bowl projections
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Palmetto Bowl
Andrew Clifford Scooter A

Old 02-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Has the Bball Program Hit Rock Bottom, Yet?

I hope it has. Last year was absolutely dreadful. I keep telling myself that we have turned the corner and we will start improving during the course of the season and end the year better than when we started. Right now, I would say that is up in the air. We might see a more consistently good team in the next few weeks, or it may be another year...or two.

They say things will get worse before they get better. Is that the case with our basketball team? Or, have we already turned the corner?
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Has the Bball Program Hit Rock Bottom, Yet?

Yes it has. When Darrin Horne was fired, that's when the program was sitting at rock bottom. the first step of getting up was the hiring of Frank Martin.

He picked up some quality recruits in a short span and also brought his whole staff from K-State. The basketball program is no longer at the bottom.

Another step was surpassing last seasons win total. It's going slowly, but the program is on the rise. It's going to take Frank some time but he will make this a Tournament team.

If he leaves in the middle of the night then you can say that the program would be back at rock bottom. As of here on out, win or lose the South Carolina basketball program is on the rise. Patience a virtue.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

No.

We already have more wins than last year and had a coach on the hot seat.
Last year was rock bottom

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
YES.

We already have more wins than last year and had a coach on the hot seat.
Last year was rock bottom

Fixed it...
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

^^^Thanks!

If you think last year was rock bottom, then your answer would be YES.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Yes, but it seems like we are there, still.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
^^^Thanks!

If you think last year was rock bottom, then your answer would be YES.
my bad.

#LukeForMod

Old 02-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
my bad.
No probs. I knew what you meant. I hope we are both right and the worst has come and gone. I suppose the relief of knowing Horn is gone, is worth another losing season.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
thumpin big
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb

We are bad now. Less talented than last year. But we now have better coaching. I would not be surprised if some of our current players are "encouraged" to transfer. I don't think Martin likes a lot of what he has, and I don't think he will be patient enough to allow all of Horn's recruits to cycle through the program. Some of them will stay until their senior years are completed, but I doubt all of them will.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

We just need to give Martin time. He is recruiting well at the guard positions and if we land Henry that would be a 4* PF. His scheme is far better than Horn's was now all we need is the talent to run it effectively and we will be in some NCAA Tournaments. Just remember how bad Indiana was the first few years under Creen, rebuilding doesn't happen overnight.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

This team broke completely through rock bottom a while back. They'd have to improve to get back there and I don't see it with these guys. Not enough everything.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Y'all keep on and you're going to run Frank out of town
Old 02-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Y'all keep on and you're going to run Frank out of town
?

#LukeForMod

Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
?
People complain all the time and the man wasn't had enough time to do anything yet. I'm tired of hearing about it.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm tired of hearing about it.
...then don't listen.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

You have to hit bedrock to build a truely solid foundation. Hopefully Frank can get in the talent to turn this program into a powerhouse. Horn drained the fuel out the plane, and sent it into a nose dive before he left town.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
GTjacketcock
Hell of an Engineer

Male

GTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPit

No. As far as I'm concerned it was when we scored 9 points in the first half against UGAg two seasons ago. We have a lot less talent on this team than the past two seasons and we've already surpassed last year's win total. I honestly think the fact that we have already won two SEC games is a miracle and I don't think any other coach could have accomplished that this season.

Let's face it though, we lost two of our best players from last season (Gill and Harris) who would have definitely helped us win at least a few more games this year. Here's a list of our tallest players:

Laimonas Chatkevicius (6'-11") - Freshman
Carlton Geathers (6'-10") - Injured
RJ Slawson (6'-8") - Inconsistent
Mindaugas Kacinas (6'-7") - Freshman

And everyone else is 6'-5" or shorter. Bottom line, if we get some athletic big men we will be much better off. I love the effort on the boards by Carrera and Lakeem, but we get outmatched so badly, especially against teams like Mizzou that have such talented big men. I trust Frank Martin and have faith in his ability to get these guys, because with guards like Thornwell, Stroman, and possibly guys like Woods and Dozier, we should have a talented backcourt.

My sign from Gameday at the Horseshoe
GTjacketcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #18
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
People complain all the time and the man wasn't had enough time to do anything yet. I'm tired of hearing about it.
I don't see it as really complaining about Frank.

#LukeForMod

Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #19
HTCOCK
Recruit

HTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
We are bad now. Less talented than last year. But we now have better coaching. I would not be surprised if some of our current players are "encouraged" to transfer. I don't think Martin likes a lot of what he has, and I don't think he will be patient enough to allow all of Horn's recruits to cycle through the program. Some of them will stay until their senior years are completed, but I doubt all of them will.
At least we actually run an offense and have abandoned that unsound, gambling defense that had to set a record for dunks given up!

We need a skilled big man and a couple of guys who can shoot. Then, I think we'll see Frank Martin's system will work quite well.

Respectfully Submitted,

HTCock
HTCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #20
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1503867758
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Rock bottom happened in the DH era...... we are already a better program with just the edition of FM!

I normally try not to bash ANY coaches, past or present, but DH was just a flat out bad hire! FM though, I believe is the best coach we have had since Eddie Fogler...... FM is like a VERY INTENSE version of Eddie Fogler. He has tremendous basketball knowledge (x's and o's), is a great recruiter, and is VERY INTENSE! It will take some time, but I am absolutely convinced that Frank Martin will build a competitive program at South Carolina!

We will never have a Basketball program that will rise to the level of North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, etc........ but we can build a program which is competitive, capable of competing for Conference Championships, and capable of making the BIG Dance!

I am convinced that if FM did not feel that he could get that done...... then he wouldn't be here! We want to consistently be in the top third of the SEC...... and FM in my opinion is a top Third coach.......

With his coaching and recruiting ability, it's just a matter of time until we have a winner! As fans, we just have to be patient!

It will be fun though, just like it has been in Baseball and Football! With Dawn and Frank, we have winners!!!