CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
GamecockSuperFan
Ericvol2096
robgusc76
cocks are us
El Cid Ranger
A. Pilgrim
taylorssc
jellafever
johnnyb
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (2350)
Jimbo Fisher Blames (998)
Ole Miss Fan's Milk- (879)
Herbstreit on " (859)
Little know stat (We (829)
SEC QB's in the Red (821)
Gamecockology Helms (792)
2013 Georgia vs. 201 (663)
Gif Sharing Time!!!! (459)
Where do you like to (379)
MY 7 STEP PROGRAM TO FIX
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTING
Tennessee - South Carolin
This season and recruitin
Where do you like to sit
Little know stat (Week 10
Herbstreit on "SEC B
Sports no longer fun?
SEC QB's in the Red Zone

Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #21
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn
Default Re: Has the Bball Program Hit Rock Bottom, Yet?

I hve so much optimism for the future that this season's struggles really aren't bothering me. Last season was much worse, in my opinion, and the Fig Newton years were even worse than that.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #22
dffoxfanatic71
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1450
dffoxfanatic71 has earned his spursdffoxfanatic71 has earned his spursdffoxfanatic71 has earned his spursdffoxfanatic71 has earned his spursdffoxfanatic71 has earned his spursdffoxfanatic71 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
We are bad now. Less talented than last year. But we now have better coaching. I would not be surprised if some of our current players are "encouraged" to transfer. I don't think Martin likes a lot of what he has, and I don't think he will be patient enough to allow all of Horn's recruits to cycle through the program. Some of them will stay until their senior years are completed, but I doubt all of them will.
you sir have a poor attitude. remember the last guy everyone else thought was not talented to play here? one ramone galloway. he seems to be doing well. we my have lost talent, but the ones we have are not untalented. the only one i would who i would say needs to go, is carlton. the rest i want to see stay and finish strong with martin. look at how much each player has improved with just the half a year martin. now imagine another 10 months from now. i think the future is bright for our guys.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #23
thumpin big
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffoxfanatic71 View Post
you sir have a poor attitude. remember the last guy everyone else thought was not talented to play here? one ramone galloway. he seems to be doing well. we my have lost talent, but the ones we have are not untalented. the only one i would who i would say needs to go, is carlton. the rest i want to see stay and finish strong with martin. look at how much each player has improved with just the half a year martin. now imagine another 10 months from now. i think the future is bright for our guys.
This is the third bad season in a row. USC hasn't won an NCAA tournament game since the 1970's. And you wonder why I have a poor attitude?

Carlton is the only one of horn's recruits I want to keep. I already know that all the others are not good enough to get the program where I want it to be, even after 3 and 1/2 months of Frank Martin's coaching.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #24
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Frank has far exceeded what I expected in total wins, let alone any hope of being able to show anything resembling a team concept.

Considering how much we lost from last year, and that being a horrible team at that, plus having our best guard gone for much of the early season, what we have seen is a breath of fresh air and is enjoyable to watch.

I honestly did not expect us to win 10 games or a single SEC game.

With more experience next year and some good recruits coming in, next year will be better, but after mostly poor basketball for the past 35 years or so, I am in no hurry. As long as we see progress that is lasting, I can wait for a few more to become a really good team.

Anyone expecting big things right out the gate has unreasonable expectations should just stop watching or following the program. Check back in two or three years.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #25
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

I think it's already obvious that we're much better coached and prepared for our games. It makes me wish Gill and Harris had stayed -- I think we would easily be NIT quality with them on our roster, possibly even a NCAA bubble team with how mediocre this year's crop of teams is.

Basketball was my first love and is my favorite sport to play, so I'm as anxious as anyone to see us field a team that is competitive. But I really do believe we're on the right track with Martin. There's only so much he can do in his first year with the mess that he inherited.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #26
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

Frank has done great this year. Give him time. We will be much improved next year. Don't be surprised if we are in the NCAA tournament next year, or at least on the bubble.
jared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #27
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
We are bad now. Less talented than last year. But we now have better coaching. I would not be surprised if some of our current players are "encouraged" to transfer. I don't think Martin likes a lot of what he has, and I don't think he will be patient enough to allow all of Horn's recruits to cycle through the program. Some of them will stay until their senior years are completed, but I doubt all of them will.
Sir, I believe you are 100% correct. This will be Frank's first full recruiting class. The days of players seeing through their scholly at one school without meaningful playing time are nearly extinct. We needed bodies this year to make up a roster, next year the starters will be Martin recruits, I'm sure of it.
Travelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #28
thumpin big
Banned

Male

thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Sir, I believe you are 100% correct. This will be Frank's first full recruiting class. The days of players seeing through their scholly at one school without meaningful playing time are nearly extinct. We needed bodies this year to make up a roster, next year the starters will be Martin recruits, I'm sure of it.

Some of our current players are not performing well enough to deserve a basketball scholarship at USC. Since most of Horn's recruits will be out of the program after next year, Martin might elect to just let them stay and finish college at USC. Then again, he might not have patience enough to do that and not renew some scholarships. If everyone returns that has eligibility left, we have no more scholarships to give in the spring. If Frank wants to sign anyone else, and I think he does, he is going to have to free up a scholarship. Looking at them from afar, I like all of our players, as people. I wish them the best in life. But Frank has to consider more than just the players when he is making decisions as to who is going to be on the team.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

our defense is absolutely awful
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #30
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

[quote=thumpin big;3661335]This is the third bad season in a row. USC hasn't won an NCAA tournament game since the 1970's. And you wonder why I have a poor attitude?[quote]

out of the big 4 sports... football, baseball, basketball, and womens basketball... we cant be good at all of them. no school is so stop crying about it. We are extremely competitive in 3 of 4 major sports and you are complaining? get over man. The school just went out and got one of the best coaches in the nation to turn this around. be patient and wait like everyone else. If the 2014-2015 season is a bust... then be mad. We are/were one of the worst SEC teams. it takes time. Dear Ghandi some people need a reality check
Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #31
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

we just have to take a deep breath and wait for the next 2 classes and then we will be competitive
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #32
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 16972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

We're well past rock bottom--that occured on Horn's dreadful watch. Next year we'll see some improvement.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #33
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
our defense is absolutely awful
Quote:
out of the big 4 sports... football, baseball, basketball, and womens basketball... we cant be good at all of them. no school is so stop crying about it. We are extremely competitive in 3 of 4 major sports and you are complaining? get over man. The school just went out and got one of the best coaches in the nation to turn this around. be patient and wait like everyone else. If the 2014-2015 season is a bust... then be mad. We are/were one of the worst SEC teams. it takes time. Dear Ghandi some people need a reality check
So.., first you complain about our defense and then you complain about someone complaining about the state of our basketball program. Hilarious. WTS, thumpin knows the program very well and he knows what it's going to take to right the ship. Talking about the situation isn't negative, it's a necessity for those who give a damn. No one is complaining about Martin, it's Horn's recruits that are in question. Honestly, if it's apparent that certain players will not be able to contribute in the future for the team's own good, they should have the opportunity to move on. Transferring isn't always a bad thing. If certain players do leave with eligibility left, I wish them the best and hope they are able to continue their basketball career somewhere more suitable for their talent.

Last edited by Travelin; 02-03-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Travelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #34
treyno2722
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1680
treyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his claws

Bring back Horn or Cremins.
treyno2722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #35
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyno2722 View Post
Bring back Horn or Cremins.
jared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #36
Gamecock_girl_west
1st Team All-SEC

Female

Gamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot material

Our hoops team is past rock bottom. You can't have a first year coach and expect miracles. Especially with coaches as different as Horn and Martin. Remember these are Horn's players, recruited to play in his system. What we see now is a coach who is trying to right the wrongs of the past. I like his no holds barred approach. He has no issue benching someone who doesn't follow the play or does something egregious. It's not about the points you score, it's about the way you do it. He is starting with these building blocks. So the rock bottom days were last year. Now its up and up. Seriously, sometimes to make a team better you have to be willing to lose. Love his style of coaching.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #37
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 16972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

By the way, Frank Martin was a HUGE hire. As big as we could have hoped for. He will win big here...if he stays.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #38
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
So.., first you complain about our defense and then you complain about someone complaining about the state of our basketball program. Hilarious. WTS, thumpin knows the program very well and he knows what it's going to take to right the ship. Talking about the situation isn't negative, it's a necessity for those who give a damn. No one is complaining about Martin, it's Horn's recruits that are in question. Honestly, if it's apparent that certain players will not be able to contribute in the future for the team's own good, they should have the opportunity to move on. Transferring isn't always a bad thing. If certain players do leave with eligibility left, I wish them the best and hope they are able to continue their basketball career somewhere more suitable for their talent.
there isa difference in seeing a bad defense and having a poor attitude towards the whole team. did you see how many easy baskets UGA got? The defense is bad but where did i complain about the overall state of the program? Thumpin wants the entire team of players except one person gone...
Our ENTIRE athletic department is at its peak after 120+ years yet people still want more. It baffles me. Do I want a better basketball team? yea...
Am i content will being great at baseball and very good at football and womens basketball? Oh yea.
I see we are making the right steps and anyone who thinks that it wont take 3 full seasons under Martin to HOPEFULLY win 20 games is crazy and even those 20 wins is grasping straws. but what to i know... not much i guess
Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #39
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_girl_west View Post
Our hoops team is past rock bottom. You can't have a first year coach and expect miracles. Especially with coaches as different as Horn and Martin. Remember these are Horn's players, recruited to play in his system. What we see now is a coach who is trying to right the wrongs of the past. I like his no holds barred approach. He has no issue benching someone who doesn't follow the play or does something egregious. It's not about the points you score, it's about the way you do it. He is starting with these building blocks. So the rock bottom days were last year. Now its up and up. Seriously, sometimes to make a team better you have to be willing to lose. Love his style of coaching.
Absolutely! Well said. We are already 2 wins better than last year overall and equal in league wins halfway into the conference schedule. Last year we tasted the bottom after realizing Horn had catfished us (see what I did there? lol)

We now see the light from the bottom and were following it!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #40
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffoxfanatic71 View Post
Geathers, Jackson, Leonard, and Smith all are not very talented. Of those four, Leonard has the most upside but he needs to get stronger and learn to D UP.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote