CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > High School Sports

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
SMOTFS86
B-G
gamecockgal
doubledribble
GregoryHouse
JaxcockFL
Has the window close (1126)
Bruce!!! (1034)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (759)
Kentucky is dominati (688)
Question for those w (620)
UFC Fight Night 58: (454)
**USC vs. Coker GAME (404)
Going to the Duck Bo (252)
2014 Subway Classic: (238)
This one gets better (221)
Has the window closed for
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Streaming nfl games
Going to the Duck Bowl?
Bruce!!!
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
My early Monday dinner .
Madden Connected Franchis
The Vent and Coaching cha
Decommitment from Texas A

Old 02-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
GamecockSHEP
fatfunnyguy.blogspot.com

Male

CockyCash: 36110
GamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot material
Default BBall Refs

I attend a crap ton of basketball games in the Oconee area of the upstate. One thing I have noticed at pretty much every game I have been to, the refs are HORRIBLE. The most frustrating part is how much of an impact the refs have on the outcome of the games. Anyone else notice this?
GamecockSHEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material
Default Re: BBall Refs

I have. Newberry High plays a very uptempo style. Usually score over 80 in games, and have scored 60+ in a half several times this season. The refs can't keep up with the speed they play, so they slow the game down. Their job is to ref at the pace of the game, not slow the game down to their pace. I see to many of them that are over 300 lbs and can't move more less run for an entire 32 minute game. They start calling fouls to slow Newberry down so they can catch their breath.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
MACXIMVS
mac'in aint easy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Avatar 
CockyCash: 12700
MACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog2003 View Post
I have. Newberry High plays a very uptempo style. Usually score over 80 in games, and have scored 60+ in a half several times this season. The refs can't keep up with the speed they play, so they slow the game down. Their job is to ref at the pace of the game, not slow the game down to their pace. I see to many of them that are over 300 lbs and can't move more less run for an entire 32 minute game. They start calling fouls to slow Newberry down so they can catch their breath.

we need refs that can keep up with the fast street ball play these guys play mostly football players playing bb in my opinion .........
they cant run plays its just run run run and try to go to the hole !!!!

MACXIMVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
wilbert G willigers
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
wilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurs

Quote:
Ref fitness tests need to be implemented, and this is no joke. I don't expect every zebra to be Ed Hochuli from a physique standpoint, but I do expect them to be able to move with the flow of the game. Its a shame that performance-based pay for refs is somewhat impracticable.

Heres an article written by USA Today that I happen to completely agree with

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...nny/57846768/1
Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
GamecockSHEP
fatfunnyguy.blogspot.com

Male

GamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot material

I saw three fat white guys trying to call a game last night. They would call ticky tacky reaching calls at 3/4 and half court because they couldn't keep up. Never any calls on the opposite end of the floor. One coach recognized this and slowed his team down to use the refs sluggishness as a part of his game plan. Slow down on offense for the refs to get back but on defense go fast and hard to the other end and foul when chunky zebra crew couldn't get back. 8 on 5 basketball wasn't meant to be played.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbert G willigers View Post
Ref fitness tests need to be implemented, and this is no joke. I don't expect every zebra to be Ed Hochuli from a physique standpoint, but I do expect them to be able to move with the flow of the game. Its a shame that performance-based pay for refs is somewhat impracticable.

Heres an article written by USA Today that I happen to completely agree with

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...nny/57846768/1
I agree completely with this assessment. Half the reason they call fouls is to slow down the game so they can catch their breath... it is pathetic.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Gamecock Scott
Blue Chip

Male

2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 3rd Place 
Gamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPit

Since all of you are so aware of the qualifications that the officials have to meet, I have a suggestion for those of you who are so critical of other peoples' performance and are able to determine that referees call fouls to slow the game down. Why don't you guys contact the High School League and get yourself signed up to attend the classroom meetings and clinics to be certified as a referee. But before you do that, go ahead and make an appointment with your doctor to get a physical and turn in the physical form to the High School League.

Too many people are very quick to criticize when they do not know everything that it takes to do certain jobs.
Gamecock Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Scott View Post
Since all of you are so aware of the qualifications that the officials have to meet, I have a suggestion for those of you who are so critical of other peoples' performance and are able to determine that referees call fouls to slow the game down. Why don't you guys contact the High School League and get yourself signed up to attend the classroom meetings and clinics to be certified as a referee. But before you do that, go ahead and make an appointment with your doctor to get a physical and turn in the physical form to the High School League.

Too many people are very quick to criticize when they do not know everything that it takes to do certain jobs.
Sounds like somebody is upset. I understand these guys dont make a living out of calling high school games, but the schools are paying them to do a job. If they are unable to bend over and pick up a ball that is rolling to them because they have a size 60 pants and 7x shirt, maybe they shouldn't be calling a sport that involves running.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Scott View Post

Are you a fat ref?
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

My dad has been a ref for 30 years and I myself for 14. He's done HS ball but me only church. I have been to numerous HS classes and meetings and choose not to do HS because of the reason my dad doesn't do it anymore. There's too much politics in it.

HS refs want everyone to look at them, but for all the wrong reasons. The last meeting I ever went to a veteran official was asked to speak. During his speach he said the reason he refs is because he has a boss at work and at home, but on the court he's the bossman and he's in charge. That is the 100% wrong reason to be a ref and I stood up and walked out.

Yes, HS refs are garbage ... But it starts up top

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
Gamecock Scott
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPit

I do officiate high school football and basketball. May I ask what experience you have in officiating either sport? Also, are you able to read the minds of the officials on the court? The last thing we as officials want to do is call fouls and viloations. Fouls and violations just disrupt the flow and continuity of the game. The reason that a foul is called is that one team has gained an advantage or caused a disadvantage, not to slow the game down.

Until you step in the shoes of the officials, try to not criticize what they do. I am sure y'all are the same guys who second guess the decisions that coaches make. Y'all do a great job of criticizing them also.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
Gamecock Scott
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
My dad has been a ref for 30 years and I myself for 14. He's done HS ball but me only church. I have been to numerous HS classes and meetings and choose not to do HS because of the reason my dad doesn't do it anymore. There's too much politics in it.

HS refs want everyone to look at them, but for all the wrong reasons. The last meeting I ever went to a veteran official was asked to speak. During his speach he said the reason he refs is because he has a boss at work and at home, but on the court he's the bossman and he's in charge. That is the 100% wrong reason to be a ref and I stood up and walked out.

Yes, HS refs are garbage ... But it starts up top

cack - There are people out there like you speak of. I have to say that the percentage of those types is pretty small. Most people who do the job are there for the right reasons. Think about it, if the people who do it, don't love it, then why would they put up will the abuse that fans seem to enjoy giving.

I will agree with you on the politics you spoke of. The politics are definitely a deterrent to becoming involved in officiating.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
GamecockSHEP
fatfunnyguy.blogspot.com

Male

I have been in contact with my local contact person with the schsl basketball officials. I am planning on calling games next season. But before the season starts, I plan on making sure I m in shape and can get up and down the court to do the job the way it is supposed to be done.

No I don't think I'm being unfair in my critique of the refs. They are to make calls on what they see, not what they think.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #14
Gamecock Scott
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSHEP View Post

No I don't think I'm being unfair in my critique of the refs. They are to make calls on what they see, not what they think.

Hopefully, you will learn what to look for in calling the games. It is not like being a fan and calling a game from the stands. After all, the fans know ALL THE RULES and can call the game better than the people who have been trained to do the job. That's why they are sitting in the stands. I can promise you that it won't be as easy as you think it is.

You are right. Officials are supposed to call what they see and not what they think. You have to realize when you start officiating that all you will be doing on the court is thinking. After a period of time (and it varies for each official), you no longer have to think on the court. You react to what you see without thinking.

Maybe we could talk with each other sometime about what to look for and how to call a game.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
gagent2
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
gagent2 has earned his spursgagent2 has earned his spursgagent2 has earned his spursgagent2 has earned his spursgagent2 has earned his spursgagent2 has earned his spurs
Smile Re: BBall Refs

Quote:
Way to go Newberry......my alma mater!!!!
gagent2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagent2 View Post
Way to go Newberry......my alma mater!!!!
21-2 on the season after finishing 2nd in the state last year. Play Mid Carolina tonight. Closest region game has been a 32 point margin I think. Only 2 losses were at the upward classic to Gaffney and Buford GA, the Buford game was in OT.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
Woody7687
Banned

Male

Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
21-2 on the season after finishing 2nd in the state last year. Play Mid Carolina tonight. Closest region game has been a 32 point margin I think. Only 2 losses were at the upward classic to Gaffney and Buford GA, the Buford game was in OT.

Gaffney spanked that tail boy!!! Go Indians 16 State Titles in Football, 5 in Basketball, and 1 in Baseball

BOOM!!!

To the ref post, yeah pretty much HS refs are garbage but who can blame them for what they get paid and the crap they deal with. You get what you pay for. IMO
Woody7687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7687 View Post
Gaffney spanked that tail boy!!! Go Indians 16 State Titles in Football, 5 in Basketball, and 1 in Baseball

BOOM!!!

To the ref post, yeah pretty much HS refs are garbage but who can blame them for what they get paid and the crap they deal with. You get what you pay for. IMO
Gaffney also has 1317 more students to pull from for a team. Newberry does pretty good for a school with a little over 700 students.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #19
rioninusc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000556
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Gaffney also has 1317 more students to pull from for a team. Newberry does pretty good for a school with a little over 700 students.

That is one thing this state is bad at, is balancing out the divisions. Newberry shouldn't be in the same division as Gaffney. It's the sole reason why Gaffney is one of the winners because of their higher chances to find better talent compared to all the other schools.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #20
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
That is one thing this state is bad at, is balancing out the divisions. Newberry shouldn't be in the same division as Gaffney. It's the sole reason why Gaffney is one of the winners because of their higher chances to find better talent compared to all the other schools.
They aren't in the same division, they were both in the upward classic tournament at Dorman. Gaffney is one of the biggest schools in the state, Newberry is a middle enrollment 2a school.