CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
spareparts
Spurticus
Acockolypse Now
COCKYTALKIN
WeStill0wnUSC
Lonnie
USCBASEBALL1
BiggerLSUfan
The Yancey
elcid99
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1026)
Ranking the Opposing (703)
Not a Rival.. (530)
Gamecock Coaches as (506)
help with army insig (393)
NCAA Football 15 (241)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (224)
I'm a grand godfathe (221)
George Miller revisi (170)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (153)
2015 - Mon Denson
Marching band
Good Article for those co
Hello Gamecocks!
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
NCAA Football 15
Muschamp + fan = win
2014-15 Premier League se
Official WWE Thread
***2014 Nascar Season Thr

Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #2441
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Carolina Panthers 2012 Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocknfire55 View Post
I wonder what we do with beason. Can't wait till the combine/draft.
I wonder this as well. He's going to have to move to OLB. And he's been hurt the last 3 years.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #2442
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

I think Gross is gone. He's on the downside of his career and his contract is way too much. Keep Beason...he still has the motor and can continue to mentor Kuechly.

And no thanks on Culliver. Dude cost San Fran the game last night. Although I bet he's done in San Fran.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #2443
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypanther View Post
Shoot I would gladly take Culliver. He at least plays aggressively and has a chance to play the ball. He is still pretty young as it is in current position. Do y'all want to keep Gamble with his 10 yd cushions, spotty tackling, and absolutely passive play?
^^^ Gamble def the most likely player to make me yell at the TV. I'd like to see the numbers on the 4th quarter breakdowns this year, and how much they are related to his soft/bad coverage.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #2444
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

We can talk offseason acquisitions and trades all we want but like Sodacitynate said, we have to have a good draft. Biggest draft in a long time given our salary situation. If we are able to fill needs (DT, O line, secondary) then we can start to look at moving unnecessary salary. But if we screw up the 2nd round on like we normally do, then we've painted ourselves into a corner.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #2445
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
We can talk offseason acquisitions and trades all we want but like Sodacitynate said, we have to have a good draft. Biggest draft in a long time given our salary situation. If we are able to fill needs (DT, O line, secondary) then we can start to look at moving unnecessary salary. But if we screw up the 2nd round on like we normally do, then we've painted ourselves into a corner.
Is there any twisted logic in the universe by which we would take Matt Barkley (aka Jimmy Claussen II), if available? If so, this team might find a way to make it happen.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #2446
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
Problem is we only have (I think) 5 picks. And we don't have a 3rd round pick. So our 1st and 2nd round picks must be home runs.

We need to address the O-line. But also need help on the D-line. I think that's how they go with the 1st pick. After that, who knows.

Hopefully the new GM will be more aggressive in free agency in the future.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #2447
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodacitynate View Post
Is there any twisted logic in the universe by which we would take Matt Barkley (aka Jimmy Claussen II), if available? If so, this team might find a way to make it happen.
Actually heard we are looking at EJ Manuel to be the backup with Derek Anderson going with Chud to Cleveland.

However, like was posted above, we don't have a 3rd round pick. And that's where I'd see Manuel going. This QB class is so weak.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #2448
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Problem is we only have (I think) 5 picks. And we don't have a 3rd round pick. So our 1st and 2nd round picks must be home runs.

We need to address the O-line. But also need help on the D-line. I think that's how they go with the 1st pick. After that, who knows.

Hopefully the new GM will be more aggressive in free agency in the future.
I know the new GM Gettleman came from Big Blue, and was good at scouting talent. I think who we take with the 1-2 comes down to his philosophy - is it "take the best player available", or fill needs? I think the former is the best idea in round 1, unless you're really set at that position, like Panthers are at RB.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #2449
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
^^^ Gamble def the most likely player to make me yell at the TV. I'd like to see the numbers on the 4th quarter breakdowns this year, and how much they are related to his soft/bad coverage.
Actually, Gamble was injured for most if not all of the year. Captain Munnerlyn (who is a nickel CB) and rookie Josh Norman manned the top 2 CB spots. We had a lack of experience the whole year in the secondary and all things considered those two guys held their own. Josh Norman should continue to develop into a nice CB for us. He just needs to watch his attitude a little because it can get him and the team in trouble (penalties, fines, etc.)
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #2450
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypanther View Post
Actually, Gamble was injured for most if not all of the year. Captain Munnerlyn (who is a nickel CB) and rookie Josh Norman manned the top 2 CB spots. We had a lack of experience the whole year in the secondary and all things considered those two guys held their own. Josh Norman should continue to develop into a nice CB for us. He just needs to watch his attitude a little because it can get him and the team in trouble (penalties, fines, etc.)
My bad. Brain-flluxed thinking about Norman. Gamble only played 4 games. From the link I posted earlier, Norman was the worst CB in the NFL giving up 1st downs/TDs:

Name-------------Snaps-----1st Downs & TDs---1st Downs & TDs by Snap
Josh Norman----- ---447-------------40-----------------8.95%
Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #2451
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
You should look at this, then:

Like has been said, it's not about just one game.
yes this is him as a Nickel corner.
Covering teams slot guys.

Also to the guy who said he shut down megatron?
CJ went for 8 catches and 94 yards that game.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #2452
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

Panthers sign DT Colin Cole, an 8-year NFL veteran out of league since 2010 after ankle injury
Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #2453
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...e/Default.aspx

Panthers to stay in the QC for another 15 years.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #2454
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

With that decision, they may be considering drafting an O-lineman with their first pick.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #2455
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...e/Default.aspx

Panthers to stay in the QC for another 15 years.
Quote:
Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx said today City Council has tentatively agreed to give the Carolina Panthers $143.75 million from a food and beverage tax hike — an increase of $18 million from an earlier proposal, April Bethea of the Charlotte Observer reports.

The money would be paid over 15 years and would require the team to stay in Charlotte for that period of time. That would resolve concerns from city officials that the Panthers could relocate the franchise to another city.
A lot of people would criticize this kind of move, but it breaks down to ~ 10m a year, and I guess the QC accountants figure the impact on the economy is worth it. Though it would be interesting to see the numbers on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
With that decision, they may be considering drafting an O-lineman with their first pick.
Guys I've seen in Mocks are that bucknut DT, and DT Sheldon Richardson from Mizzou. Also saw one with Sharrif Floyd. Signing Cole looks like a move to build depth there, at best, since he's been out of the game 2 years. Gettleman has a good reputation for finding 'bargains' out there, so I'm optimistic.

Last edited by GoldenSpur7; 02-08-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #2456
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Right now we are about 12 million over the cap for next season, must get back in shape ASAP, Gettleman should be able to do this.

These restructures/cuts have been brought up several times on a Panther's forum I just read, these are some of the most common suggestions for fixing the salary cap.

Cuts (saved cap space)
Gamble 10.9 million
Edwards 2.5 million
Nakarmura 1.63 million
Gary Williams 1.26 million

Restructures (cap space saved)
Gross 2-3 million
Beason 2 million
D-Will 2 million

Resign
Captain Munnerlyn (great nickle but a solid CB is needed)

Draft
1. Chance Womack, Guard Alabama
2. Deandre Hopkins WR Clemson or Justin Hunter WR UT or Baccari Rambo DB UGA
3. DJ Swearinger DB USC
4. Devin Taylor DE USC
5. Kwame Geathers DT UGA
6. Caleb Sturgis K UF or Dustin Hopkins K FSU
Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #2457
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Right now we are about 12 million over the cap for next season, must get back in shape ASAP, Gettleman should be able to do this.

These restructures/cuts have been brought up several times on a Panther's forum I just read, these are some of the most common suggestions for fixing the salary cap.

Cuts (saved cap space)
Gamble 10.9 million
Edwards 2.5 million
Nakarmura 1.63 million
Gary Williams 1.26 million

Restructures (cap space saved)
Gross 2-3 million
Beason 2 million
D-Will 2 million

Resign
Captain Munnerlyn (great nickle but a solid CB is needed)

Draft
1. Chance Womack, Guard Alabama
2. Deandre Hopkins WR Clemson or Justin Hunter WR UT or Baccari Rambo DB UGA
3. DJ Swearinger DB USC
4. Devin Taylor DE USC
5. Kwame Geathers DT UGA
6. Caleb Sturgis K UF or Dustin Hopkins K FSU
Are those 6 draft picks in order or are you just throwing out names as possible picks? Because we don't have a 3rd round pick and we shouldn't waste a pick on a kicker. I would love to see the Panthers pick up DJ or Taylor, or even big Byron. Lattimore would be AMAZING, but I know that wouldn't happen. According to some of the draft prospect rankings, they don't even expect Byron to get drafted. If he doesn't, then the Panthers need to pick him up as a free agent.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #2458
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

If DJ and Devin got drafted to the panthers, that would ovveride my hatred for CM and become a panther bandwagon fan
Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #2459
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
Are those 6 draft picks in order or are you just throwing out names as possible picks? Because we don't have a 3rd round pick and we shouldn't waste a pick on a kicker. I would love to see the Panthers pick up DJ or Taylor, or even big Byron. Lattimore would be AMAZING, but I know that wouldn't happen. According to some of the draft prospect rankings, they don't even expect Byron to get drafted. If he doesn't, then the Panthers need to pick him up as a free agent.

They are based on which round I think they would go, thought we had 3rd I know we don't have a 7th because of the trade for Louis Murphy. If Carolina were to trade D-Will than Latti would be a great pickup when he is healthy since he will no longer have to be the premier back he would have a little longer shelf life. A kicker is desperately needed because both FSU and UFs kickers are the best in this draft class. We should trade down and pick up a later 1st and 3rd and draft Womack since guards are like runningbacks they are going later in the first round.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #2460
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=rss

Gamble is as good as gone, he will be missed but not sorely. He is overpaid, underperformed, getting older, and a few season ending injuries. Time for him to go, we might even draft a DB in the first round maybe Trufant