CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
kingofnerf
markymark550
Captain9Dragons
ColaCock
ReadR00ster
Fight, win, kick a-- (1102)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (923)
CFN prediction for a (871)
The Gator Bowl wants (847)
Why I'm hopeful abou (813)
USC will upset Aubur (710)
A simple defensive l (677)
What happened to thi (646)
Ranking Top HC jobs (467)
In-state QB talent (443)
Holiday desserts
The Gator Bowl wants us!
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Why is everyone anticipat
Cann tipping plays?
BA ranks recruiting class
A simple defensive line &
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
Thoughts on the basketbal
Ranking the SEC Football

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #141
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default Re: CNN article on Dylan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
And I defend your right to be offended because he is offended.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #142
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Has Garcia been re-instated as QB yet?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #143
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Great kid, great attitude.

Screw anybody that tries to turn this into something negative.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #144
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 10200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Im not a religious dude, but i think its great that Dylan uses his religion as his moral compass. He's a quality human being and quarterback.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #145
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightohhthree View Post
Im not a religious dude, but i think its great that Dylan uses his religion as his moral compass. He's a quality human being and quarterback.
Exactly. You don't have to agree with a person, or to be just like them, in order to admire him.

I admire Confuscius, Gandi, and Mother Theresa, though I am not of the same theology.

I quote Emerson, but we are vastly different in our beliefs.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #146
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Great kid, great attitude.

Screw anybody that tries to turn this into something negative.
well that will pretty much end all discussion of the issue. guess its time to move on.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #147
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
well that will pretty much end all discussion of the issue. guess its time to move on.
All discussion doesn't have to be negative, does it? Can't you disagree without being negative? I think it's possible - if we try.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #148
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
All discussion doesn't have to be negative, does it? Can't you disagree without being negative? I think it's possible - if we try.
too senstive a topic. people are going to get offended and feel others are being negative regardless fo what is said, beside the discussion has gone like this:

side a: thats great.

side b: this is irrelevant.

side a: stop being negative.

side b: you stop being negative.

side a: I love god.

side b: great what does that have to do with football?

side a: if only you would stop being negative....and so on
Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #149
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
too senstive a topic. people are going to get offended and feel others are being negative regardless fo what is said, beside the discussion has gone like this:

side a: thats great.

side b: this is irrelevant.

side a: stop being negative.

side b: you stop being negative.

side a: I love god.

side b: great what does that have to do with football?

side a: if only you would stop being negative....and so on
lol
The relationship between Thompson's faith and his football playing is a very real one. He has actually said that the only thing that makes football worth all the work is that it gives him a larger platform on which to share his faith. In other words, he's willing to do all the work involved in becoming a better player with all that entails because people will listen to him because of it. He has also said that he loves football and loves to play, but his faith is his strongest motivation.

If you're a Gamecock fan, that's good news. It's not all about personal fame, glory, or money with him. God is a stronger and better motivator than any of those things. People don't usually self-destruct because they believe in God. They regularly self-destruct when their sole aim is fame, self-promotion, or money. Just look at Hollywood for the proof of that.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #150
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
lol
The relationship between Thompson's faith and his football playing is a very real one. He has actually said that the only thing that makes football worth all the work is that it gives him a larger platform on which to share his faith. In other words, he's willing to do all the work involved in becoming a better player with all that entails because people will listen to him because of it. He has also said that he loves football and loves to play, but his faith is his strongest motivation.

If you're a Gamecock fan, that's good news. It's not all about personal fame, glory, or money with him. God is a stronger and better motivator than any of those things. People don't usually self-destruct because they believe in God. They regularly self-destruct when their sole aim is fame, self-promotion, or money. Just look at Hollywood for the proof of that.
maybe. I honestly just don't care.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #151
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
maybe. I honestly just don't care.
Do you care if he plays well or not? You don't have to care about the why, but you probably want him to work hard and do his best, don't you?

Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #152
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Do you care if he plays well or not? You don't have to care about the why, but you probably want him to work hard and do his best, don't you?
I think that the two are unrelated. plenty of shitty football players are devout christians. and plenty of amazing football players arent. And in the end I would prefer to avoid the team I support being lead by a person who's sole ambition is to tell me about god.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #153
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think that the two are unrelated. plenty of shitty football players are devout christians. and plenty of amazing football players arent. And in the end I would prefer to avoid the team I support being lead by a person who's sole ambition is to tell me about god.
Seconded.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #154
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
I agree that plenty of Christians aren't good at what they do. I never said that Christianity is a motivator for everyone. I taught high school, and I saw many unmotivated, lazy Christian young people. Same with adults.

However, in Thompson's case, his Christianity is a motivator, and it makes him work hard.

I'm a Christian, too, but I don't think I'm nearly as motivated as he is. If I were, I'd be a concert pianist by now.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #155
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I agree that plenty of Christians aren't good at what they do. I never said that Christianity is a motivator for everyone. I taught high school, and I saw many unmotivated, lazy Christian young people. Same with adults.

However, in Thompson's case, his Christianity is a motivator, and it makes him work hard.

I'm a Christian, too, but I don't think I'm nearly as motivated as he is. If I were, I'd be a concert pianist by now.
or

thematically, talent tends to trumpt theology.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #156
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Most probably, the reason for your discomfort is that listening reminds you of your own mortality. You would prefer not to think about that issue. You just want to continue doing what you want to do without considering the consequences of the moral choices you make.

Shaq Attack
Old 02-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #157
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Go!od for Dylan Thompson! What a great example to young kids
Old 02-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #158
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Most probably, the reason for your discomfort is that listening reminds you of your own mortality. You would prefer not to think about that issue. You just want to continue doing what you want to do without considering the consequences of the moral choices you make.
there are a staggering amount of assumptions in this statement.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #159
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
that being said I forgive you for your personal attack. please have a nice day.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #160
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
that being said I forgive you for your personal attack. please have a nice day.
I did not make a personal attack. You posted your viewpoint on a message board. I merely made some assumptions based on your admission you are uncomfortable when someone else talks about God.

You should not feel bad about it.

Shaq Attack
Closed Thread