CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Regalcock
CockyLifer
JerseyBird
The Yancey
kingoftheroost
SMOTFS86
Gamecocks1137
B-G
catdaddy66
**USC vs. Coker GAME (2228)
Bruce!!! (1421)
2014 Subway Classic: (1226)
Cocky at the Duck Co (286)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (219)
aTm demolishes Kyle (201)
movers, furniture do (190)
Streaming nfl games (173)
Deer Hunting 2014 (171)
Happy Winter Solstic (125)
2015 Commitment - Quandes
aTm demolishes Kyle Field
So, why is next year goin
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
Cocky at the Duck Command
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Former Gamecock rooting f
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Bruce!!!
***2014 Carolina Panthers

Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
CrzyCock21
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
CrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spurs
Default Who has the Breakout Year?

Hey guys, Just sitting here missing football already, and I started thinking about the last few years. I was wondering who everyone thought might be this years break out players.

I take a look back at the last few years at who had break out years(aside from the stars).

2012 on defense I think it was Swearinger and offense I think it was Justice Cunningham and Bruce

2011 on defense I think it was Ingram and Allen and offense it was Ace

Who really steps it up and becomes the go to on offense and the game changer on defense?
CrzyCock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material
Default Re: Who has the Breakout Year?

Offense: Nick Jones
Defense: Brison Williams

For offense - I think Nick Jones is set to have a good year. He showed flashes of brilliance, especially when DT was at QB, which makes since, as they take a lot of second string reps together. I think they have a relationship that will stand out more next year, as both should have more play time (NJ and DT). Byrd has the ceiling to step up and be a big time threat - but I don't know that he will.

Defense, hrm, that ones tougher. Quarles, Surrat, Sutton, Brison Williams all have the chance to break through. Depends what happens in the spring and where they get put on the depth chart. There is also the chance someone from the new LB class makes an impact, but since it's Tuesday before NSD, I'll leave them out of consideration. I'll say Brison Williams, final answer. If he can get the taste of blood that Swearinger played with, we'll be just fine. Plus the chance for Quarles, Surrat, and Sutton is going to be fogged over by Clowney playing the line. If Clowney draws a bunch of double teams and the rest of the D-line is beating 1 on 1's and getting pressure/sacks by committee, its going to be hard to single just 1 person out as 'stepping up'.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
CrzyCock21
Walk On

Male

CrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
Offense: Nick Jones
Defense: Brison Williams

For offense - I think Nick Jones is set to have a good year. Byrd has the ceiling to step up and be a big time threat - but I don't know that he will.

Defense, hrm, that ones tougher. Quarles, Surrat, Sutton, Brison Williams all have the chance to break through. Depends what happens in the spring and where they get put on the depth chart. There is also the chance someone from the new LB class makes an impact, but since it's Tuesday before NSD, I'll leave them out of consideration. I'll say Brison Williams, final answer. If he can get the taste of blood that Swearinger played with, we'll be just fine.

I like the Nick Jones thought, I was actually hoping last year he would see more action. I think offense it might be Adams. he is tall, fast and has pretty good hands, and our tightends have been getting more involved in the past few years.

Defense I am thinking Sutton, all the attention is gonna be on clowney and I think Sutton will be stronger and really get in the back feild more. And I think Victor hampton comes close to 6 ints this year, just throwing that out there
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

I vote Roland/Thompson and Ahmad Christian

PS-I look for Taylor Rank to finally come on and have a huge year now that Lattimore is in the League.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

I think Nick's route running and stable hands are major ++'s for his chances to be a target next year. I think the more he works with the QB's, the more Shaw will be able to trust his throws to 'where Nick is going to be'. DT does this already.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Offense I'll go Shaq and Mike Davis. I'd like to see Jerell Adams get a lot more looks too.

Defense I'll go Quarles and Sutton. I think Sutton will really take advantage of all the attention Clowney gets much like we hoped Devin would.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

As hard as it is for a DT to "break out," given what his job is, I lean toward Quarles getting a boost this year to post-season honors. His development has been excellent, and I think the next step will happen this year. On offense, I hope to see several talented guys step into the spotlight. Longshot - Nosovich. Likely candidates - Wilds, Davis, Adams, Shell, Roland.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

Jerrell Adams and Mike Davis and hopefully Shaq.

TJ Gurley on D
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
Jerrell Adams and Mike Davis and hopefully Shaq.

TJ Gurley on D
I like Gurley a lot too! But he's coming back from a late season knee injury and who knows when he can return if he does this upcoming season.

In fact my favorite 3 young players on D are Rico, Cooper, and Gurley and they all blew their knee out.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Good things have been said about Shamier's progression in the offseason.
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
CrzyCock21
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMonticelloCock View Post
Good things have been said about Shamier's progression in the offseason.
I've heard the same. I just hope it translates to the game. I think not having a superstar reciever helps us a bit right now, more guys are battling harder for playing time.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
I like Gurley a lot too! But he's coming back from a late season knee injury and who knows when he can return if he does this upcoming season.

In fact my favorite 3 young players on D are Rico, Cooper, and Gurley and they all blew their knee out.
I'm pretty sure I read that Gurley would be ready for practice in August.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCock21 View Post
Hey guys, Just sitting here missing football already, and I started thinking about the last few years. I was wondering who everyone thought might be this years break out players.

I take a look back at the last few years at who had break out years(aside from the stars).

2012 on defense I think it was Swearinger and offense I think it was Justice Cunningham and Bruce

2011 on defense I think it was Ingram and Allen and offense it was Ace

Who really steps it up and becomes the go to on offense and the game changer on defense?

On Offense, I am going to cheat and say the OL as a group. If they step up their game, our O will be on fire next year. No reason with the talent we have that the OL doesn't step up.

On D, I like Chas Sutton to break out and be a star.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:

Gurley and Rico will definitely be ready for August practice. Cooper is ahead of schedule from what is being reported. I hope he can play meaningful minutes.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Thought they said he had a similar injury to Marcus. But recovery time for a RB and a saftey is probably different. I like TJ to step in DJ's spot very well.

I just hate him and Cooper are missing spring practice
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Gurley is going to be cutting it close for being ready by the start of the season. McWilliams should be ready to go. Cooper will probably be back by UCF.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

Defense Rico McWilliams or Ronnie Martin. Because QB's will know he's untested and will throw his way more.

Offense- I will say Jerrell Adams or Kwinton Smith maybe even Shamier!
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
dumpyloser
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 994
dumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
And Rico's was before the season so he will have had a full 12 month recovery. I was just thinking about cooper though. Man the guy has all the tools, I wanted to see him take over.

Kendrick salley on offense
Kaiwan Lewis on defense.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
CrzyCock21
Walk On

Male

I've heard that Gurley is on track for mid August at this point. Cooper should be 2 or 3 games into the season possibly. I've heard UCF as well Covertwo

Henmania- I like the O-line response. We have so many talented guys already and a few coming in, no reason we shouldn't be dominant upfront. Create a lot of running room for Davis, Wilds, Carson. Sutton seems to be a popular pick, myself and a few others are all with you on that one.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
henmania
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Gurley is going to be cutting it close for being ready by the start of the season. McWilliams should be ready to go. Cooper will probably be back by UCF.

C2, what's your thoughts on Elder and Diggs? I don't hear much about them but they came out of HS so highly touted.