CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
IBleedGarnetandBlack
The Yancey
peterlemon
Kyle76
18IsTheMan
bcolinc
zcoop
Cockypantherfan
WeStillOwnUSC
garnet_black215
The Demise of the 3- (2222)
East Carolina Predic (1468)
Why didn't Wes Green (1166)
A&M on 3rd down (569)
You guys are horribl (566)
Did we ever go after (517)
Finally Cooled Off (473)
louisville (414)
It's the offenses no (382)
MLS almost ready for (226)
USC vs. Texas A&M Pre
NFL: Packers @ Seahawks(m
NFL: Saints @ Falcons(ml
NFL: Vikings @ Rams(ml &a
NFL: Browns @ Steelers(ml
NFL: Jaguars @ Eagles(ml
NFL: Raiders @ Jets(ml &a
whats up with Mike?
Name a Gamecock
NFL: Bengals @ Ravens(ml

Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material
Default Re: Who has the Breakout Year?

hopefully Kaiwan Lewis and Cedrick Cooper
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

It's nice to see lots of names in this thread that I haven't thought about in a while, that have tons of potential at this level. We may be deeper than we think this season. If Shell and Big Corey have improved at tackle, we may have, dare I say, a complete team. Yes, LB is a big mystery, but we have so many athletes at the moment. I'm going to assume this all works out beautifully. This is the year.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
mpilot0705
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 498700
mpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
As hard as it is for a DT to "break out," given what his job is, I lean toward Quarles getting a boost this year to post-season honors. His development has been excellent, and I think the next step will happen this year. On offense, I hope to see several talented guys step into the spotlight. Longshot - Nosovich. Likely candidates - Wilds, Davis, Adams, Shell, Roland.
You say it will be hard for Dylan to "break out" given what his job is but then say Nosovich is your longshot...so you don't think the second string guy can have a breakout year but the guy farther down the depthchart is a long shot....makes sense.

On that note, I fully expect us to have a full blown QB controversy, if we don't already, with Shaw sitting out the spring...Dylan has a ton of confidence and is poised to blow up this spring as the #1 in camp.

EDIT TO ADD: Disregard the first paragraph......should have read that a little slower I guess. Sorry Goofyboy.

Last edited by mpilot0705; 02-05-2013 at 12:53 PM.
mpilot0705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
As hard as it is for a DT to "break out," given what his job is, I lean toward Quarles getting a boost this year to post-season honors. His development has been excellent, and I think the next step will happen this year. On offense, I hope to see several talented guys step into the spotlight. Longshot - Nosovich. Likely candidates - Wilds, Davis, Adams, Shell, Roland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpilot0705 View Post
You say it will be hard for Dylan to "break out" given what his job is but then say Nosovich is your longshot...so you don't think the second string guy can have a breakout year but the guy farther down the depthchart is a long shot....makes sense.

On that note, I fully expect us to have a full blown QB controversy, if we don't already, with Shaw sitting out the spring...Dylan has a ton of confidence and is poised to blow up this spring as the #1 in camp.
I believe he meant it's hard for a Defensive Tackle to 'break out', not Dylan Thompson, as he goes on to talk about Quarles.

Last edited by bryarx; 02-05-2013 at 12:51 PM.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #25
CrzyCock21
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
CrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spurs

I don't think its hard for a DT to break out. I think you have two types, run stoppers and pass rushing pocket collapsers. I think Sutton will have the size, strength and speed to really make a difference with teams doubling up on Clowney.

As for Dylan, honestly, If he picks up where he left off in the spring with Shaw out I think he has a better shot to start the season. I think Shaw is a great qb but i think that unless his confidence and accuracy get better then its Dylans job to lose.
CrzyCock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #26
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

Jordan diggs. Just wait. He will lead our team in tackles.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #27
mpilot0705
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 498700
mpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
I believe he meant it's hard for a Defensive Tackle to 'break out', not Dylan Thompson, as he goes on to talk about Quarles.
10-4.....readying comprehension skills not strong while eating lunch....my bad. Thanks for fixing that for me.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #28
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

I think Connor will be fully recovered and have an outstanding year. I also think Wilds may be a TD machine in the red zone with Marcus gone.

On D, Legree with multiple pick 6's will be huge. Also, I like Rainey to lead the team in tackles.
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #29
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

Hopefully Byrd can step up. He is so fast, if he can get better at catching and route running.

Chaz will have a huge year starting, especially opposite of Clowney. Look for us to have the best 1-2 DE combo in the country next year!
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #30
CrzyCock21
Walk On

Male

CrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
Hopefully Byrd can step up. He is so fast, if he can get better at catching and route running.

Chaz will have a huge year starting, especially opposite of Clowney. Look for us to have the best 1-2 DE combo in the country next year!
good catch- Sutton is a DE not DT. Surratt is the DT. But I do agree, and then hopefully Gerald Dixon will mature and be a nice sub in and compliment as well. If our line isn't the number one line in the country I will be shocked
Old 02-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #31
lfowens
Walk On

lfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his claws

My best prediction of candidates are:
Offense:
1) Rowland - just flat out ready with a year under his belt and now with more opportunity since Ace is gone
2) Adams - wow what a talent
3) Wilds - qualified and hungry
4) Shaw - (sorry Thompsan fans) - was never 100% last year and still had super stats, he will be hungry this year also.
5) Bruce Ellington - again, he gets better every year...
Defense:
1) Clowney - again, no brainer - duh!!!
2) Sutton - proven and now with more playing time
3) Gurley - depends on his injury recovery, but this is real talent
4) Hampton - gained a lot of confidence and will see the same swagger that DJ had this year
lfowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #32
Coop2Cocky
Walk On

Male

Coop2Cocky has hatched from the shell

Offense-Wilds/Davis and Roland
Defense-Sutton(an upgrade from Taylor in my opinion) and Kaiwan Lewis.
As stated before, I believe the O-line as a whole will have a breakout year...We have to remember that last year was C-Rob and Shell's first year starting. I look for them to be a lot more comfortable this year. Which will allow them to play with more of a mean streak, because they won't have to be out there thinking as much. Things will come more natural this year, and their physicality will show!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #33
CockaThaWalk
Kick Dawgs Peel Taters

Male

CockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervous

Offense: Mike Davis, Shaq Roland
Defense: Chaz Sutton, Brison Williams
Hope to see Shamier too
Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #34
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHONGILMOREFAN! View Post
Jordan diggs. Just wait. He will lead our team in tackles.
I have been really excited to watch Diggs play after hearing so many great things about him. We don't hear much about players during their RS year. I expect he will step in nicely at Spur.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #35
CrzyCock21
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
I have been really excited to watch Diggs play after hearing so many great things about him. We don't hear much about players during their RS year. I expect he will step in nicely at Spur.
who do you think starts at Spur- Diggs or Golightly?

Personally I think Golightly starts the season but Diggs takes over. Diggs is bigger, Golightly needs to add weight. I could see Diggs moving to another linebacker spot depending on if he added weight and how he is improving.

I just think they both have enough talent to play and Golightly has played some.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #36
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

No worries, we only have like 7 months of waiting.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #37
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCock21 View Post
who do you think starts at Spur- Diggs or Golightly?

Personally I think Golightly starts the season but Diggs takes over. Diggs is bigger, Golightly needs to add weight. I could see Diggs moving to another linebacker spot depending on if he added weight and how he is improving.

I just think they both have enough talent to play and Golightly has played some.

I think Golightly is too light for Spur. Diggs came to Carolina to play Spur because he liked that concept. It will be hard to keep him off the field if he is as good as advertised. Golightly is a very surehanded tackler so maybe he can overcome the lack of size. He plays bigger.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #38
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

CockFighter has hatched from the shell

Darius English and Roland should have a great year. Both have superior athleticism and skills that scouts covet. English has his 7+ foot wing span, 4.5 speed, and quick first step. Roland on the other hand has great vertical, speed, and good hands. Both players are probably are gaining weight in the off season workouts.
CockFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #39
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockFighter View Post
Darius English and Roland should have a great year. Both have superior athleticism and skills that scouts covet. English has his 7+ foot wing span, 4.5 speed, and quick first step. Roland on the other hand has great vertical, speed, and good hands. Both players are probably are gaining weight in the off season workouts.
Hopefully these guys are getting whipped up into shape during winter workouts.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #40
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
I think Golightly is too light for Spur. Diggs came to Carolina to play Spur because he liked that concept. It will be hard to keep him off the field if he is as good as advertised. Golightly is a very surehanded tackler so maybe he can overcome the lack of size. He plays bigger.
Marty Markett. The guy was small but damn he's played BIG!