CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
Gamecocks1137
B-G
robgusc76
SMOTFS86
Big Spur
Travelin
The Yancey
airborne09
Sandstorm29
aTm demolishes Kyle (938)
Cocky at the Duck Co (819)
Connor to be backup? (725)
Deer Hunting 2014 (456)
movers, furniture do (359)
Streaming nfl games (288)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (199)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (138)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (108)
How would a man writ (104)
The Vent and Coaching cha
Greatest Gamecock Players
Bo Pelini headed to Young
So, why is next year goin
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Cleveland Browns Headshot
Connor to be backup?
2017 - Anthony McFarland,

Old 02-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #41
thumpin big
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb
Default Re: Has the Bball Program Hit Rock Bottom, Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabeastonu View Post
there isa difference in seeing a bad defense and having a poor attitude towards the whole team. did you see how many easy baskets UGA got? The defense is bad but where did i complain about the overall state of the program? Thumpin wants the entire team of players except one person gone...
Our ENTIRE athletic department is at its peak after 120+ years yet people still want more. It baffles me. Do I want a better basketball team? yea...
Am i content will being great at baseball and very good at football and womens basketball? Oh yea.
I see we are making the right steps and anyone who thinks that it wont take 3 full seasons under Martin to HOPEFULLY win 20 games is crazy and even those 20 wins is grasping straws. but what to i know... not much i guess
The only sport I really care about is USC men's basketball. I understand you don't have the same priorities, and that is fine.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #42
thumpin big
Starter

Male

thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
So.., first you complain about our defense and then you complain about someone complaining about the state of our basketball program. Hilarious. WTS, thumpin knows the program very well and he knows what it's going to take to right the ship. Talking about the situation isn't negative, it's a necessity for those who give a damn. No one is complaining about Martin, it's Horn's recruits that are in question. Honestly, if it's apparent that certain players will not be able to contribute in the future for the team's own good, they should have the opportunity to move on. Transferring isn't always a bad thing. If certain players do leave with eligibility left, I wish them the best and hope they are able to continue their basketball career somewhere more suitable for their talent.

Thanks. My one sports passion is USC men's basketball. I might seem unreasonable to those whose priorities lie elsewhere. I'm thrilled to have Frank Martin and I expect him to do big things. It's just that after so many long years of mediocrity, I'm impatient for those big things.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #43
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Would the team progress faster if Martin gave the majority of the minutes to his recruits beginning next year when he should have at least seven of his own guys healthy and ready to go?
Travelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #44
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 600
cocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPit

Two words -- Steve Newton

ďOf course, itís a bit of a jump, isnít it? I mean, erÖ chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go. You donít think it might be better if you worked your way towards lion taming, say via banking or insurance?"
cocknblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #45
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
The only sport I really care about is USC men's basketball. I understand you don't have the same priorities, and that is fine.
I wouldn't say it's the only sport I care about, but it is number 1 in importance to me, followed by football then women's basketball and baseball. Baseball is too sedate a sport for me. I like sports where I can be a raving lunatic at the games. ;)
Old 02-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #46
Spur20001
4-Star

Male

Spur20001 has feathers coming inSpur20001 has feathers coming inSpur20001 has feathers coming in

We were progressing after the Miss. State game but we took several steps backward this week. As for the guy who said we hit rock bottom when we only scored 9 points in a half two years ago. we only scored 10 in a half this week and only 36 in the whole game which was an all time SEC low for USC.

What the future holds, who knows? I will take a wait and see attitude.
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #47
thumpin big
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Would the team progress faster if Martin gave the majority of the minutes to his recruits beginning next year when he should have at least seven of his own guys healthy and ready to go?

With the exception of Geathers, we know what Horn's players can do under Martin. I expect that most of the playing time next year will go to Martin's recruits because I expect them to be better than Horn's recruits. We will see who of the current roster is able to improve by next year that might change that. I expect Thornwell to be a major player right away, and I expect Johnson to be the main point guard as soon as he is eligible. They should push our other guards down the bench. I don't know what to expect from McKie. I would be surprised if all of the current guards choose to return, given that we are bringing in 3 new guards.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #48
pick6
Recruit

Male

pick6 has hatched from the shell

If you watched yesterdays game-you should know the answer to that question...
pick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #49
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

out of the big 4 sports... football, baseball, basketball, and womens basketball... we cant be good at all of them. no school is so stop crying about it. We are extremely competitive in 3 of 4 major sports and you are complaining? get over man. The school just went out and got one of the best coaches in the nation to turn this around. be patient and wait like everyone else. If the 2014-2015 season is a bust... then be mad. We are/were one of the worst SEC teams. it takes time. Dear Ghandi some people need a reality check[/quote]

UF is. Schools like UF and Texas have so much money, they can funnel top of the line facilities for everything. They also have more talent to pull from in their states with athletes wanting to stay at home.

I just feel dejected after watching that talented gator squad rip us apart. WE KEPT ON TURNING THE BALL OVER
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #50
CurryStorm
Milk Duds

Male

CockyCash: 20200
CurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot material

NM
Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #51
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1357725516
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
out of the big 4 sports... football, baseball, basketball, and womens basketball... we cant be good at all of them.
Yes we can, and we will be.......

As you said yourself, we are already good in 3 out of 4, and given some time and patience, FM will make it 4 out of 4!

So I not only say we can be good at all 4 of these, I fully expect us to be good at all 4!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #52
Sir Big Spur 912
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 26866
Sir Big Spur 912 has developed his gaff and talonsSir Big Spur 912 has developed his gaff and talonsSir Big Spur 912 has developed his gaff and talonsSir Big Spur 912 has developed his gaff and talonsSir Big Spur 912 has developed his gaff and talonsSir Big Spur 912 has developed his gaff and talonsSir Big Spur 912 has developed his gaff and talonsSir Big Spur 912 has developed his gaff and talonsSir Big Spur 912 has developed his gaff and talonsSir Big Spur 912 has developed his gaff and talonsSir Big Spur 912 has developed his gaff and talons

NEXT YEAR.

We will be good.

Potential tourney bubble team.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #53
CrzyCock21
Walk On

Male

CrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spurs

Our basketball program is on the rise. Its not hard to see, Frank Martin was the hottest coach on the market last year and we snagged him. I've spoken with him one on one last year at a fan fest and you can tell he is excited. He wants good kids to turn into men and basketball players, so its gonna take him time to find who he wants. He had a short recruiting period. He has 2 freshmen with lots of potential he likes and within a year or two he'll find "his guys".

College basketball is very interesting because one great player can change a season, and a team. Kids like him and want to play for him so he'll get his man soon. He is like Spurrier, can go to any big market school and win, but he wants the challenge of taking average and turning it into great.

Yes it hurts to see us get smashed by florida, lose to terrible teams like georgia and miss st. but its not easy for these young men to learn a new coach, a new system, new players in a short period of time. Kentucky is a perfect example. National title to bust in one year. Possibly back to nation title next year.

Let the master mind have his time and when he finds it, its gonna be great!!!
CrzyCock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #54
GamecockinBoulder
Recruit

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: 2nd place in 2007 Bowl Pickem 
GamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spurs

It has certainly been frustrating watching this team over the past few years. It took Dawn Staley until her 3rd year to get us to the WNIT and 4th to get in the NCAA's so I don't expect any less from Martin. I believe next year will look a lot like this one sadly.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #55
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Big Spur 912 View Post
NEXT YEAR.

We will be good.

Potential tourney bubble team.
I don't see it next year. Yes, we will have improved guards but we don't have a really good big man that we are in need of. Yes, Carrera is awesome. But we need a big man that is a scoring threat at center. No, Chat and Geathers aren't it. Don't put it on Frank for next year. We knew this was going to be a long rebuilding process. I still think we are 2 or 3 years away from the NCAAs. Thornwell is good. But he's not coming in as a freshman and turning us into a 20 win team. Even with Downey, who was the best guard I've ever seen, we were still a 15 win team. And that was with Sam Muldrow down low. Look at 08-09. That was our best team in a while. And yes, they had Downey and Zam up top. But down low it was Muldrow, Archie, and Holmes. And they still didn't make the NCAAs (SOS and the weak SEC had a lot to do with it). So just don't get your hopes up too much. Would be awesome to make the dance, but I doubt it.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #56
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Coach Martin understood what he was getting when he came here. He KNEW it would be the struggle that it's been. He has to endure this season and build the foundation of his program, and then build and grow it starting next season.

If you were expecting anything much different than we're having then you weren't being honest with yourself.

Best case scenario for this season would have been a NIT invite ... meaning 50/50. That may be out the window now, but if we can win a few games down the back stretch we can build some momentum towards next season.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #57
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

If anyone can turn it around, Frank is one of the few who can. These kids are playing their hearts out, and when the really good talented kids come in, mixing that with the effort and we'll have a team!
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #58
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
I don't see it next year. Yes, we will have improved guards but we don't have a really good big man that we are in need of. Yes, Carrera is awesome. But we need a big man that is a scoring threat at center. No, Chat and Geathers aren't it. Don't put it on Frank for next year. We knew this was going to be a long rebuilding process. I still think we are 2 or 3 years away from the NCAAs. Thornwell is good. But he's not coming in as a freshman and turning us into a 20 win team. Even with Downey, who was the best guard I've ever seen, we were still a 15 win team. And that was with Sam Muldrow down low. Look at 08-09. That was our best team in a while. And yes, they had Downey and Zam up top. But down low it was Muldrow, Archie, and Holmes. And they still didn't make the NCAAs (SOS and the weak SEC had a lot to do with it). So just don't get your hopes up too much. Would be awesome to make the dance, but I doubt it.
Don't forget about Desmond Ringer coming in next year. He is big (6'9 250) and he will be good for us next year. We are also still talking with Demetrius Henry who is a 4 star PF for next year. If we can get him too, we can be a solid team.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #59
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

The program hit rock bottom when Ohio State packed out our arena...and nobody cared.

Now, we are hovering above the bottom....but we are on our way up.
Just give Martin time to get us some better talent and guys that fit his system.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #60
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
Don't forget about Desmond Ringer coming in next year. He is big (6'9 250) and he will be good for us next year. We are also still talking with Demetrius Henry who is a 4 star PF for next year. If we can get him too, we can be a solid team.
Yes...getting Henry would be a huge plus.

Don't forget the 'Nova transfer...and Martin is in talks with a JUCO PG.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote