CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
GarnetSwarm1990
doubledribble
Lonnie
El Cid Ranger
Master Bedroom
SC Sandlapper
So Disappointed With (1778)
Rank the QBs under S (1339)
Back like cooked cra (935)
Tennessee game (642)
Who start on the d l (599)
Google finally gets (471)
No Comments on the H (434)
lack of production= (377)
Squats (323)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (145)
So Disappointed With The
Thoughts on the basketbal
Why I think we beat Aubur
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Back like cooked crack
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
If the Head Ball Coach re
Vote For Cocky
Rank the QBs under Spurri

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #61
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material
Default Re: Perspective on our class so far

I think a lot of the complaining about this class is because we didn't land one of the "TOP 10" guys that are being discussed ad nauseum as we close in on NSD. I know last year was relatively quiet, but the Lattimore-Clowney monster of the previous 2 years spoiled us a little. Couple that w/ Rolin and Langley flipping and we're not really appreciating what is, IMO, a far superior class to last year's (even more so if we land Skai).

We didn't replace Langley, but Moore is an upgrade over Rolin as far as I'm concerned. Particularly when you factor in that he would be available this season.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #62
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Still too early.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #63
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
I think a lot of the complaining about this class is because we didn't land one of the "TOP 10" guys that are being discussed ad nauseum as we close in on NSD. I know last year was relatively quiet, but the Lattimore-Clowney monster of the previous 2 years spoiled us a little. Couple that w/ Rolin and Langley flipping and we're not really appreciating what is, IMO, a far superior class to last year's (even more so if we land Skai).

We didn't replace Langley, but Moore is an upgrade over Rolin as far as I'm concerned. Particularly when you factor in that he would be available this season.
Great point!!! And I don't usually agree with you on anything. haha.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #64
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Great point!!! And I don't usually agree with you on anything. haha.
There is hope yet in this crazy world. (Thank you.)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #65
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
So, I've read more than a few people that have expressed a sense of...how shall I say this..."blah-ness" about our class so far.

Which to me is more than unfair to the players themselves and the coaches that have worked so hard to make sure we're getting the right players in.

While almost everyone agrees that star ratings are a crap-shoot, I decided to go back and look at the Rivals score for each player we signed through 2010, to average our classes out and compare them against one another.

What I found out might surprise you.

Here's the AVERAGE score of the players we've signed each year since 2010:

2010: 5.6
2011: 5.68
2012: 5.68
2013: 5.7

What's interesting to me about this is:

1. Our staff's consistency
Even though we've concentrated on different areas of the team from year to year, they've been remarkably consistent in finding talent across the board.

2. No huge outliers
It might seem that the 2010 and 2011 classes were top-heavy, since we signed such heavyweights as Lattimore and Clowney. The truth, however, is that their 6.1 rankings didn't skew the numbers upward, the majority of players were still 5.6 and above. 2010 is the lone exception, since someone decided that Jerideau was only a 5.3. Again, it's an inexact science.

3. We're winning with 3 star talent
5.8 and above is considered a 4 star by Rivals. I've always said that star rankings are useless other than this: 3 star means you're a legit D1 prospect. 4 star probably means your offer sheet probably includes at least 2 tier one programs, and 5 star means that people won't shut up about you. The difference between them is minimal. It means our coaching staff has been able to take 3 star talent and beat 4 star talent with it. I'm not up to it, but I'm betting that UGA, Florida, and Tennessee all averaged higher than us over the same time-span and we have an 8-1 record against those teams over the last 3 years.

4. You're bitching about nothing.
This year's class is just as good, if not better, than the previous classes. There aren't any marquee guys like Clowney or Lattimore that will get us ESPN press on signing day, but it doesn't matter, because this class is deep, will get better with an additional commitment or two over the next few days, and our staff will continue to win with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
If you look at this class, our 'worse' commit ratings wise has offers from Clemson, NC State, and Tennessee.

Take a different look at it. Break it down by position.

QB - Connor Mitch .. Have many complaints about him? Didn't think so.

RB - David Williams / Jamari Smith - Grabbed a Top 10 back in the country, grabbed the most underrated player in Florida. Nice job there.

OL - Na'Ty Rodgers / DJ Park / Bryce King / Alan Knott / JP Vonashek - All have big time offer sheets. Hit a homerun there.

DL - Devante Covington / Devin Washington / Gerald Turner / Kelsey Griffin / David Johnson / Kendal Vickers - Solid group here. Got your elite defensive tackle in Kelsey Griffin, got 2 hybrids in Gerald Turner and David Johnson, got a very good player in Devin Washington, and a guy that no one talks about much in Devante Covington but he is a really good player as well. Then you go and place Kendal Vickers who will absolutely blow up star rating wise in Prep. Nice haul there. Want to nit pick the fact that it doesn't have an elite pass rusher? I'll give that to you. That might be the only weakness of this group.

LB - Larenz Bryant / Jonathan Walton / Mohamed Camara - Got a top 5 player out of NC, picked up a guy late in the process that had offers from a handful of other SEC schools and Linebacker U (Penn State), hand picked a guy in Mohamed Camara who quietly racked up offers from Arkansas and Wisconsin. Add Skai Moore to this group and its another solid group.

DB - Pharoh Cooper, Ronnie Martin, Ali Groves, Jasper Sasser - By now you know what kind of player Cooper is. Groves brings in a Rico McWilliams-style offer sheet but he has a Florida offer on his. Martin's offer sheet out of high school spoted LSU and Nebraska offers. Want to pick a reach for this class, you could probably Jasper Sasser. Unfortunately, he'll get singled out on NSD but he didn't play much at all this year after breaking his foot. There isn't any senior film on him so you just have to go with the coaches here. Want to say its a reach? I'll give you that.

I mean I can't sit here and look at this class and say its blah. Because its not. Want to bitch about Langley and Rolin? Ok, thats fine. I'm upset too but what we got on board going into Wednesday is really good. I made mention of this in an earlier thread. Guys, our staff put together a probable Top 15 class built on out of state kids. There is only 3 instate commitments out of 6 legitimate offers! Thats unheard of.

Give these two rep points everybody.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #66
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Only time will tell how good the class is.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #67
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
Give these two rep points everybody.
those two have great post, but at some point rep points have to lose their importance.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #68
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Only time will tell how good the class is.
agreed but its the offseason. the only other option for sports is basketball or hockey. recruit fortune tellings is about as appealing to me as either of those options.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #69
jfbreb94
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 615
jfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPit

5* coaches have been working great the last two years.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #70
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Very good class.

It addresses needs at LB...even if we didn't get our first dibs, the group we could have with Walton, Moore, Bryant and Camara looks promising.

Probably would've wanted one more DB...but Groves, Sasser and Cooper look like good athletes.

We got our QB...got two good RBs to add to the stable...and brought in a very promising Oline class.

Dline class...if Bryant commits, is another solid haul to add to the depth.

Maybe not a lot star power....but this class felt like a nuts and bolt class.

Got guys you focus the program around for the future with a good foundation...next season i think we sign more "stars"...but as we have seen with our neighbors in the hills...star power can only take you so far...if you don't have a good oline and great defense, it doesn't matter how many stud skill guys you have.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #71
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

plus you have to look at recruiting this way...and it has been said.
You recruit guys to fit your system and what you do.

If you are a run-heavy offense, it makes no sense to recruit Oline from pass-happy programs when there are guys maybe a little lower ranked, but are solid at run-blocking.

This staff finds guys that fit what they want to do...instead of finding guys for the "star ranking" that don't completely fit what you want.

This class has guys that fit our system...and that is how you judge the success of a recruiting class initially: Does it fit our needs and system?

If yes, then you were successful at that cycle.

How well that class turns out is another thing entirely.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #72
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHONGILMOREFAN! View Post
Recruiting visits miss on so many prospects. Thats why I watch film instead of lookin at ratings
5-10 minute highlight film only shows selected plays....not nearly enough for a legitimate evaluation. College is played far quicker, more physical and is much more complicated.....some kids just can't handle or adjust to that.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #73
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I haven't paid attention all day but why no receivers?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #74
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
Bc next year we will bring in 3-4 highly touted guys. Hoover, Davidson, berries, and maybe Blake Bone.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #75
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 436
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
Coaches threw out some offers, said if they couldn't land a great receiver this year they didn't want any.

Expect some big time receivers in next years class.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #76
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

[quote=Roosterboy;3665052]plus you have to look at recruiting this way...and it has been said.
You recruit guys to fit your system and what you do.

If you are a run-heavy offense, it makes no sense to recruit Oline from pass-happy programs when there are guys maybe a little lower ranked, but are solid at run-blocking.

This staff finds guys that fit what they want to do...instead of finding guys for the "star ranking" that don't completely fit what you want.

This class has guys that fit our system...and that is how you judge the success of a recruiting class initially: Does it fit our needs and system?

If yes, then you were successful at that cycle.

I hear that our new coaches are much better recruiters than we have had in the past. I am looking forward to us closing the deal better than we did before. I think Deke and Sands and Brown will be a big asset to us. And players love Ward, particularly in GA. Feel good going forward.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #77
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

This is a solid class. The best class of Oline we've signed in a long time, maybe ever. I would have liked to have seen us pick up one more Dline-man but we certainly came through at the end on LB. Overall, a very solid class.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #78
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

GA did fantastic work for us.

I'd still love to have someone on staff that lives and breathes it the way some coaches do.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #79
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material
Default Signing Day Perspective

Not sure how anyone could listen to Spurrier yesterday and not realize we are in the midst of the most exciting time in USC football history. I can't believe the negativity I have heard about our class and why we aren't getting more huge committments. Just remember in 02 and 03 when Holtz pulled classes that ranked 8 and 11 by rivals. We were on cloud 9 in February. But then we watched those 2 groups go 4-19 against CU, UT, UF, and UGA and weren't so happy anymore.

Many people ask why is ESPN in Clemson and not Columbia. That's simple, we have a coach that is not going to make an assclown of himself everytime a fax comes in, even if it's from Leon Sandcastle. Did anyone see the footage from Auburn? The entire staff was making fools of themselves and Ellis was just looking at them in disbelief.

The great news is the assclown at Clemson is elated with Peach Bowl wins and signing day heroics. Steve Spurrier is not satisfied with 31 wins in 3 seasons. Yes, that's right folks, Steve Spurrier has averaged our best ever season before he got here over the last 3 years. He is not satisfied with a trip to Atlanta. He is not satisfied with an Outback and Cap One win in consecutive seasons. We are in the best of times in the history of Gamecock football and Spurrier is just starting to scratch the surface.

And when you start to get caught up in the stars, just remember, we just won back to back games against the assclown with a 2* and 3* QB.

Go Cocks!!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #80
#7Clowney
4-Star

Male

#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Signing Day Perspective

I believe our HBC's philosophy.
Closed Thread