CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
carcosa
**USC vs. Clemson GA (5429)
looks like we have 2 (1977)
Decommitment from Te (914)
Beat Miami (801)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (627)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (614)
Cleveland Browns Hea (609)
Garcia and Clemsux T (584)
Need a dog kennel (230)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (159)
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
The Vent and Coaching cha
How Long Will The Rebuild
So, why is next year goin
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
2015 - Mark Fields
Previewing Clemson
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
Four USC Basketball Games
looks like we have 2 OL r

Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default The Americans

Any fellow CockyTalkers watching this show?

The first two episodes have been pretty compelling.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Americans

I've watched both and enjoyed them

I feel conflicted when watching them, though.
Part of me wants to root for the main characters, but then my brain takes over and says "they're commies! they mean to destroy the US!" and then I want them busted.

I'm not familiar with many shows that set the viewer up for this sort of conflict.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Wingman
Gamecock baseball fan

Male

CockyCash: 200
Wingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPit

Watched ep 1, recorded ep 2 last night. Plan to watch it tonight.

Enjoyed first show. Looking forward to following the story.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

really want to get into this show but I missed episode 1 and it is not available on demand in CHLT on TWC yet.

In the meantime I watched the first 7 episodes of House of Cards on netfilx this week. It's awesome.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
I've watched both and enjoyed them

I feel conflicted when watching them, though.
Part of me wants to root for the main characters, but then my brain takes over and says "they're commies! they mean to destroy the US!" and then I want them busted.

I'm not familiar with many shows that set the viewer up for this sort of conflict.
That's one of the reasons I like it. The main characters, even though they're commies, are extremely good. Very good writing, as well.

Another reason I like it is because I came along well after this stuff happened, and I've always been interested in the Cold War and similar stuff during that time period, as nerve racking and intense as it may have been for some.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Was intrigued by first episode and dvr but not watched the second. I felt conflicted by rooting for the commies as well
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

I'm watching the 2nd episode tonight. I guess it is on past all our bedtimes, haha.

The first episode was excellent. Very interesting with a lot of potential.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Phan, here's a site to help ya out, links are on there.

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/i.../season_1.html

I love the show already, its on my DVR. I love the characters Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell (Philip and Elizabeth Jennings) play, but am actively rooting for Noah Emmerich (Stan Beeman).

Andy Greenwald has had good synopses for both episodes on Grantland.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
RoyalAir
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
RoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudly

Really enjoying this show, and House of Cards.

Re: The Americans, is Keri Russell hot? I'm not asking if you'd hit it, cos that's never in question. Is she actually hot, though? I can't tell.
RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
Really enjoying this show, and House of Cards.

Re: The Americans, is Keri Russell hot? I'm not asking if you'd hit it, cos that's never in question. Is she actually hot, though? I can't tell.
Its very difficult to tell.

She's flat, aging, and she's got some messed up stuff around her mouth, makes me think shes dirty.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Enjoyed the new episode. I found myself resenting the spies because of what they did to the maid though.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
Enjoyed the new episode. I found myself resenting the spies because of what they did to the maid though.
they're f'in commies...you're supposed to resent them, and feel conflicted about it.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
RoyalAir
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
RoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudly

Quote:
they're f'in commies...you're supposed to resent them, and feel conflicted about it.
Yep. This show is based upon the same premise that Breaking Bad is, in that your central character is inherently the villain, but you find yourself pulling for them, anyway. If they had gone the other route, and had American spies living/working in the USSR during the same period, the show wouldn't be nearly as compelling. It would've been just another network TV show, canceled after a few weeks.

In a related note, does anyone else feel like the 2000s-present is kind of a golden age of clever television? Everything FX does is rock-solid, HBO and AMC have pumped out some classics, and you even have some network shows such as Lost and 24 that have received widespread acclaim.
RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
makes me think shes dirty.
and thus a little hot
Old 02-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 57400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

I saw a commercial for this show and the first thing I thought of was this movie.
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0097314/

I'm assuming its what would happen had this high tech KGB program would have worked had John Travolta not stopped it.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
and thus a little hot
i meant dirty in a "could have an STD" kinda way...

Old 02-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
i meant dirty in a "could have an STD" kinda way...

come on man that gamble can be exhilirating
Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
Wingman
Gamecock baseball fan

Male

Wingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPit

Don't understand the comments re: sympathizing with the spies. Yes, they want the best for their children and worry about their futures. What parent doesn't?

How do you see the program's end - they're caught, they get away, they become double agents, they're killed...?

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Don't understand the comments re: sympathizing with the spies. Yes, they want the best for their children and worry about their futures. What parent doesn't?

How do you see the program's end - they're caught, they get away, they become double agents, they're killed...?
I'm hoping, at some point (maybe a mid-series arc change after a couple of seasons?) where they finally defect to the US, and spend the remaining couple of seasons being either double-agents or trying to evade the KGB, who no doubt would want to capture them and return them back to Moscow...
Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
Yep. This show is based upon the same premise that Breaking Bad is, in that your central character is inherently the villain, but you find yourself pulling for them, anyway. If they had gone the other route, and had American spies living/working in the USSR during the same period, the show wouldn't be nearly as compelling. It would've been just another network TV show, canceled after a few weeks.

In a related note, does anyone else feel like the 2000s-present is kind of a golden age of clever television? Everything FX does is rock-solid, HBO and AMC have pumped out some classics, and you even have some network shows such as Lost and 24 that have received widespread acclaim.
24 was awesome.