CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
kingofnerf
NinjaSven
Jim Lahey
Storm Of Spurs
roosterdude21
Sandstorm29
MWard
robgusc76
Wilds & Carson B (2522)
Marquavius Lewis (2461)
So, why is next year (2303)
How Long Will The Re (1497)
Restaurant musts in (1082)
Why do so many of yo (1061)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (833)
Shot in the arm for (823)
Custom Jersey (439)
5 Gourmet Foods That (299)
Why do so many of you guy
Frank Martin's Game has b
2015 Commitment - Dante S
How Long Will The Rebuild
2015 Signee - Sherrod Pit
Further clarification on
Marquavius Lewis
The Vent and Coaching cha
Previewing Clemson
2015 - Mark Fields

Old 02-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #121
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit
Default Re: The Brendan Nosovitch & Connor Mitch Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
I'm really excited about both of these guys. The spring game is going to be fun to watch if these two get most of the snaps.
The spring game is going to be fun to watch no matter what.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #122
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default Connor Mitch's stats

Did a little reading up on him and he has some gaudy numbers:

Career-

12,078 passing yards, 1,384 attempts, 807 completions and 153 touchdowns.

Senior Season-
4,661 yards and 63 touchdowns 62% completion percentage

Nice to have him aboard

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #123
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

The young guns take the field tonight! Anxious to hear how they spin it

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #124
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

So for those that saw Saturday and/or went to most of the practices this Spring, what do you guys think of both our young quarterbacks?

I didn't get to watch much of the game Saturday but I did see Nosovitch's TD pass to Adams. At first glance, it doesn't look like the guy has that strong of an arm, but then he makes a throw like that, that makes you say wow. I had to leave after that play so I'll rewatch the game sometime this week.

It sounds as though both players had solid Springs and the coaching staff accomplished what they wanted with both guys. Both got a ton of reps, both seemed to improve. It sounds like Connor Mitch might've made the most improvement though.

Thoughts?

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #125
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

I was impressed with Mitch's touch on the deep ball.

I was trying to watch the game on my PC but had family in town that distracted me. I agree with the inital thought that Noso's arm looked a little weak.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #126
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

I won't get into specifics, but I think Mitch will be the guy after DT. Assuming DT continues to progress and play at a high level.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #127
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

I liked Mitch's size. He look comfortable in the poocket and had nice mechanics.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #128
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

No disrespect to Noso, but Mitch is your prototypical Spurrier QB. He finally has the guy he has wanted for so many years and by god he is going to use him as much as possible.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #129
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Its still too early to count out Nosovitch. Remember that Dylan Thompson didn't look like he would break the 3 deep until his 3rd year in the program. Nosovitch still has time to develop. From the little I saw the other day, he was still hesistant in some cases but the rope to Adams showed that he has some talent.

Very encouraged from what I have been reading about Connor Mitch. Especially for a guy that should be going to prom right now, not playing in Spring Games. It sounds as though he progressed a little bit faster than expected. It has been mentioned that he and the weight room need to become good friends this Summer though which is to be expected. Anxious to see how he played Saturday, been reading a lot of good things.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #130
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I won't get into specifics, but I think Mitch will be the guy after DT. Assuming DT continues to progress and play at a high level.
Agree. Of course SOS could do the same with Noso and Mitch as he's likely to do this year with Shaw and Thompson. But signing Barker could change all that.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #131
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

I think we have four extremely talented quarterbacks. From what I've read, Mitch seems to know that he needs to redshirt and give himself time to develop. Nosovitch looked good. Both of them can learn from Shaw and Thompson.

Actually, the walk-ons surprised me, too.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #132
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

They both seem like good guys who are trying hard. May the best man win in the future when they go head to head for PT.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #133
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
IMO, I think Connor Mitch is an experiment for lack of a better term. I think he is the last ditch effort so to speak to see if Coach Spurrier can go back to his system full time before he rides out of Columbia. We are still targeting dual threat QBs for future years but I think that is to set up the next coach who will probably bring in a more modern approach (a true spread offense).

I don't see Mitch doing much ball handling with the zone read is what I'm getting at. But hey, he could have suprising mobility like Dylan does.
WHAT?? Dylan looks like a gimpy fawn when he starts moving around in the backfield. I never failed to grimace once when I saw Dylan taking off this past season. Describe how you mean "surprising mobility." lol
Old 04-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #134
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1021420
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

They both did pretty good for a rs fr, and an EE. Connor hasa nice deep ball, brendan showed a little arm strength and pin point accuracy on a couple throws. I watched the youtube upload last night, even perry orth impressed me when he connected.

I was most impressed by the #49 runningback though, that guy never gave up when he got the ball, when he had the D on him and kept churning forward impressed me.

Also, who is #83 in the return game? He had 2-3 returns that would have went the distance.

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #135
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1021420
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
WHAT?? Dylan looks like a gimpy fawn when he starts moving around in the backfield. I never failed to grimace once when I saw Dylan taking off this past season. Describe how you mean "surprising mobility." lol
3rd & 19. Nuff said.

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #136
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB21 View Post
They both did pretty good for a rs fr, and an EE. Connor hasa nice deep ball, brendan showed a little arm strength and pin point accuracy on a couple throws. I watched the youtube upload last night, even perry orth impressed me when he connected.

I was most impressed by the #49 runningback though, that guy never gave up when he got the ball, when he had the D on him and kept churning forward impressed me.

Also, who is #83 in the return game? He had 2-3 returns that would have went the distance.
Carlton Heard. The coaches really like him.He has to sit out a year though.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #137
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I expect to see a conservative offense most games this year featuring short passing and a lot of running - but with the ability to go long over the top when safeties get sucked up in run support. If the defense is showing a letdown, the offense might get more aggressive and show more intermediate and deep passing. Nosovitch seems well suited to a gameplan featuring short dinks, rollouts, and zone read runs. I think Noso and Thompson will both be used, but Thompson as more of a change-of-pace from Shaw. If we are faltering with Shaw, I wouldn't be surprised to see a quick hook with Dylan getting the call. Nosovitch will likely be used much like Shaw to run a ball control game. Quickest release on throws might be a key factor if pass protection is lacking. I haven't been able to detect much between Connor Mitch and Nosovitch on release time.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #138
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
It sounds as though both players had solid Springs and the coaching staff accomplished what they wanted with both guys. Both got a ton of reps, both seemed to improve. It sounds like Connor Mitch might've made the most improvement though.

Thoughts?
I can't really speak to either QB's improvement, b/c this was the first time I saw Mitch throw other than highlight reels from HS. The same might apply to Nos too. What I did notice was that they are 2 different styles.

Nos is obviously faster than Mitch. He would be a better zone read/dual threat QB. I think he can overall scramble and move better with the ball.

Mitch has a better arm, but I think Nos actually completed more passes in the scrimmage, but Mitch had the two 50+ yard bombs (one was the Clowney Catch though.)

It was hard to tell a lot of anything for sure in the scrimmage since the defense has a collar on it. I could say with confidence though, that if the defense was a full go and had Clowney, I would rather have Nos going against them b/c of his ability to scramble and our unproven record and pass protection.

What is a powerful statement though is that for the first time since Spurrier has been here, I consider us loaded at QB, and I think the next 4 years looks extremely promising at that position. Add on a guy like Barker, and we really will have a Championship level backfield for 4+ years. There will be so much competition that at least one of them is going to become elite not only on the team level, but nationally.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #139
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I expect to see a conservative offense most games this year featuring short passing and a lot of running - but with the ability to go long over the top when safeties get sucked up in run support. If the defense is showing a letdown, the offense might get more aggressive and show more intermediate and deep passing. Nosovitch seems well suited to a gameplan featuring short dinks, rollouts, and zone read runs. I think Noso and Thompson will both be used, but Thompson as more of a change-of-pace from Shaw. If we are faltering with Shaw, I wouldn't be surprised to see a quick hook with Dylan getting the call. Nosovitch will likely be used much like Shaw to run a ball control game. Quickest release on throws might be a key factor if pass protection is lacking. I haven't been able to detect much between Connor Mitch and Nosovitch on release time.
If Shaw stays healthy and can play, why would you think we would bring Noso in to run plays that fit Shaw's skill set? Shaw>Noso. By far.

Barring some serious injuries, I don't see Noso getting any meaningful PT in 2013.

And I seriously doubt that we are going to run a conservative offense this year. Spurrier knows that DT is willing to throw downfield and can do so successfully. If Shaw isn't willing to do it, or is incapable of doing it well for whatever reason, I think he will put in the guy that he knows will.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #140
wilbert G willigers
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
wilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
Describing Dylan when running as a "gimpy faun" is a little extreme. As we all know, he is no Shaw, Manziel, Driskel, etc when it comes to his legs (very few are), but there are MUCH WORSE quarterbacks out there in regards to mobility. Watch some Drew Bledsoe or Chad Pennington tape and then tell me who looks like a "gimpy faun" haha. Dylan is far from a good runner, but he can scramble a little and find green grass with his legs when he needs to.