CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
ReadR00ster
rosstheboss
Bobby Boucher
U-Dub Gamecock
usc1
b381l
NJCocky14
roosterdude21
acejrock
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (8001)
Super-Efficient Ax (323)
South Carolina @ Aub (281)
BREAD (245)
Starz Black Sails (168)
Dress shirt help (167)
Connor Mitch
2015 - Auden Tate
Josh Cunningham Power For
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
2016 - Greg Little
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
How to cut the mustard
Larenz Bryant update?
What is your perfect egg?
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit

Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Pope Resigns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
I'm not Catholic. The Pope is a HUGE deal in the Catholic denom.

Within the EOC, you have the Bishops, which are similar in nature to the Pope, but not exactly the same.
I think all of that is ridiculous. Bishops, Cardinals, Popes, Archbishops, Alterboys, and whatever else other "position" you can come up with in an organization that is outspoken and intended to "run" that religion and enforce that everything "happened this way and this way only."

I don't mind monks.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
I honestly did not think this was possible/allowed. He isn't a head coach he is the Pope. This is the Catholic Church. This whole Pope thing is kind of a big deal.
It is possible/allowed. Just hasn't been done in nearly 700 years.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

I wonder if the Pope ceases to be 'infallible' once he has officially abdicated?

haha
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #24
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_yogi View Post
It is religion, stuff is not supposed to make sense.

It is a pretty bid deal though. I wonder how long it will be before there is a hispanic Pope since that demographic makes up a rather large number of worldwide Catholics?
It won't change my life in the smallest way beyond the wasted time I type at this moment on the topic.

Also, with what we know from history...I doubt very seriously he is resigning because he is "getting old". The truth will eventually come out and then what do we think of the Pope lying or hiding the truth from his people?

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #25
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quitter.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

I thought they served until they died...like Pope John Paul. I think there's more to this and as usual, the Catholic Church is keeping it quiet.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #27
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
It won't change my life in the smallest way beyond the wasted time I type at this moment on the topic.

Also, with what we know from history...I doubt very seriously he is resigning because he is "getting old". The truth will eventually come out and then what do we think of the Pope lying or hiding the truth from his people?
I am with you on that. To me it is about as impactful as the whole Prince William marrying Kate Middleton ordeal, but it is meaningful to a large population segement. Since I do have a degree in history, I tend to pay attention to these things.
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #28
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 397
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Quitter.
that was right on time!

He cited poor health but it would seem to be more than that. Popes, in our lifetimes, always died in office. There was an HBO program regarding the sex abuse scandals in the Catholic Church that aired recently and it pointed a finger directly at the man. Don't know if this was a reason but timing is coincidental.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #29
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I honestly did not think this was possible/allowed. He isn't a head coach he is the Pope. This is the Catholic Church. This whole Pope thing is kind of a big deal.
In 1294, Pope Celestine V declared that Popes could resign. Then, he actually resigned 5 months after being Pope. I guess he had to give some substance to his declaration, hah.

It is just so rare, you wouldn't think it would be allowed. This really is very historical, it has only happened a few times over the lifetime of the Catholic Church.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #30
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #31
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_yogi View Post
It is religion, stuff is not supposed to make sense.

It is a pretty bid deal though. I wonder how long it will be before there is a hispanic Pope since that demographic makes up a rather large number of worldwide Catholics?

At least with him retiring they will have time to meet and find a suitable replacement. The whole ceremonial thing with the white smoke and stuff is pretty neat.
The hispanic pope might be difficult to come by since we don't have any records of apostles in Spain...at least not in the Bible. Paul was planning on heading to Spain, but was imprisoned and never made it.

There has to be apostolic succession for someone to be considered for the Pope

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #32
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Is the Pope Catholic?
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #33
cock13
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 51250
cock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot material

I heard he quit because he was having disagreements with his boss.
cock13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #34
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
The hispanic pope might be difficult to come by since we don't have any records of apostles in Spain...at least not in the Bible. Paul was planning on heading to Spain, but was imprisoned and never made it.

There has to be apostolic succession for someone to be considered for the Pope
From what I'm reading, a Cardinal from Ghana could be one of the favorites to be the next Pope.

Choosing an African to be the next Pope would be a very smart move for the Catholic Church.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #35
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
I wonder if the Pope ceases to be 'infallible' once he has officially abdicated?

haha
This is why I didn't think one could simply resign from being the Pope.

One simply can't quit being considered 'infallible' just because.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #36
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
From what I'm reading, a Cardinal from Ghana could be one of the favorites to be the next Pope.

Choosing an African to be the next Pope would be a very smart move for the Catholic Church.
Well there is a lot of "old" Christian traditions in Africa, especially in Ethiopia

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #37
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
that was right on time!

He cited poor health but it would seem to be more than that. Popes, in our lifetimes, always died in office. There was an HBO program regarding the sex abuse scandals in the Catholic Church that aired recently and it pointed a finger directly at the man. Don't know if this was a reason but timing is coincidental.
In a manner other than he being the one who lead the enacting of the harsher penalties against sex abusers, and enacted the changes that expanded what the Church considers abuse and added the penalties for such?
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #38
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
This is why I didn't think one could simply resign from being the Pope.

One simply can't quit being considered 'infallible' just because.
I've been corrected elsewhere, and been told that in the '60s, the Catholic Church changed the doctrine of infallibility to only pertain to the Pope's interpretation of doctrine?

I know, it's confusing to me, too.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #39
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
In a manner other than he being the one who lead the enacting of the harsher penalties against sex abusers, and enacted the changes that expanded what the Church considers abuse and added the penalties for such?
Did he ever excommunicate anyone for their atrocities?

Or just outright dismissing those priests altogether?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #40
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 397
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
From what I gathered, no. I should have been clearer on that, sorry! The film detailed his office (which was the exact same office of the Inquisition btw) handled each and every case of alleged abuse around the world. It showed specific cases where he did little or nothing to bring the accused to answer their charges. This may or may not have been his call because he was to bring these cases to Pope JP II, so he may have been overruled if he wished to take them further. I need to watch the documentary again.