CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
b381l
smoovecock
GregoryHouse
markymark550
Transmaniacon
rosstheboss
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
Spurrier on Pharoah: (2742)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (1298)
USC/clemson spread (1176)
In case no one saw.. (981)
injury report? (826)
Odell Becham Catch (523)
A little late to the (353)
Tiger Burn (326)
2010 Clemson-Carolin (229)
Charlotte Hornet Bas (122)
What Are Your Win/Loss Ex
Texans getting frustrated
Why has there been 40 yea
Dragon Age Origins free!
Question about after the
2014 Class AA Division I
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
Clemson Stacking the Box.
clemson game time: Noon o
2015 Commitment - Marquav

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite
Steven Garcia 45 18.99%
Melvin Ingram 192 81.01%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #21
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Stephen Garcia vs. Melvin Ingram

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockgal View Post
Garcia did some great stuff on the field, but its impossible to forget all the trouble he brought with him, so I have to say Ingram.
Sadly he made it impossible. I have often wondered what he could do had he actually "gotten it" and dedicated himself.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #22
gamecockboy89
4-Star

Male

gamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his comb

If this were a competition of the "best" player or "classiest" player I would go with Ingram. But since this says "favorite" I have to go with Garcia. Dude was just a rockstar who just couldn't balance his priorities.

We all got a little Garcia in us, but you gotta be able to work hard and play hard.
gamecockboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

This isn't even a question. Ingram.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #24
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

No hesitation

MELVIN INGRAM !

Old 02-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #25
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb

No contest, here. Melvin overachieved. Garcia underachieved. Melvin gave us a lot of positive press. Garcia gave us a lot of negative press. We won because of Melvin. Often, we won DESPITE Garcia.
AikenRooster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #26
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 1080
Copperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talons

No contest...Big Mel. Described by coaches as the most athletic guy on the team. Did not bring annual embarrassment on program, self and family.

Gotta love it
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #27
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

I scanned over the posters who voted for Garcia and made a mental note for future reference.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #28
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Ingram over captain Brah-some all day and twice on saturdays.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #29
cocky2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 100796
cocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Surprised Garcia doesn't have more votes. I voted for Melvin because he came in as a 2 star MLB and worked his ass off to become an NFL d lineman. Garcia had some off the field issues, but dude gave it his all when he was on the field.
MI6 was actually a highly rated 4 star.
cocky2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #30
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

this isnt fair...

garcia made to many mistakes of course ingram is the choice here

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #31
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Maybe there could be a special run off with Garcia, Watson, Summers and Mitchell for favorite player that let off field issues impact their on field results.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #32
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

I look at this as who did the most for the program. Ingram is great and arguably won us the Georgia game, but Garcia lead us to wins over a top 5 Ole Miss team and number one Alabama. Sophmore year had 2800 passing yards and 3000 the next year. Was he a bit of a d-bag at times? Sure. Did he let his off the field crap hold us back (I still have nightmares about Auburn)? Absolutely.

Was he more instrumental for driving the program to where it is today over Ingram? I think so which is why I voted for him.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #33
gamecockguy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Maybe there could be a special run off with Garcia, Watson, Summers and Mitchell for favorite player that let off field issues impact their on field results.
Blake Mitchell? I don't recall him having off-field issues. He definitely isn't on the level of the other 3 you mentioned, he at least got to finish his career.
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #34
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 10200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Or how about Phil Petty vs Stephen Garcia? Phil had a few decent seasons in 2000 and 2001. Those were fun years, and coincidentally the years I was in school.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #35
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockguy View Post
Blake Mitchell? I don't recall him having off-field issues. He definitely isn't on the level of the other 3 you mentioned, he at least got to finish his career.
Mitchell loved the bars in 5 Points and the incident with punching the bouncer helped put him on the bench for a period. He did finish his career but I think he arguably had more potential especially in Spurrier's system than the other 3.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #36
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I look at this as who did the most for the program. Ingram is great and arguably won us the Georgia game, but Garcia lead us to wins over a top 5 Ole Miss team and number one Alabama. Sophmore year had 2800 passing yards and 3000 the next year. Was he a bit of a d-bag at times? Sure. Did he let his off the field crap hold us back (I still have nightmares about Auburn)? Absolutely.

Was he more instrumental for driving the program to where it is today over Ingram? I think so which is why I voted for him.
Ingram impacted a game like I've never seen a non-qb (much less a defensive player) do in UGA. If we are talking individual games, he ranks right up there. I think we've gotten past individual games personally, Garcia did as much to lose several with his lack of preparation like Iowa and Connecticut. Personally I like him and wish him well, but I don't think its a close contest, and the votes pretty much reflect that.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #37
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Garcia was unquestionably one of my favorite gamecocks, and while he brought a lot of crap on himself...the politically correct society we now live in added to his delemma. However, between him and Melvin there is ONLY Melvin. I think Garcia did however always give his utmost when on the field. To me its a shame that someone who helped us become a top shelf team and the guy who led the biggest win in our programs history can't visit the team and field in Columbia without a whole lot of "what could have beens" being brought up.

Every time I think of garcia's what Ifs I think of the what IF coach spurrier would have praised Garcia every time HE took off running like Connor does? Instead he had Garcia wondering wtf... Coach spurrier praised Connor for what Garcia wanted to do. Just saying.

Regardless this poll is definately all Melvin...though I appreciate what both young men did fir the university.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #38
Cartiaze
X factor

Male

Cartiaze has hatched from the shell

While Garcia was a complete for lack of better words, f*ck up, he was the better Gamecock to me. I know Ingram was a better player at the end of his career, he didn't do more for the team than Garcia did. Garcia played in more games, contributed more for the team overall. Ingram didn't really started contributing for the team until his junior year. I know Garcia dropped the ball in more ways than one, but the dude did win us some games. Ingram did too, but not more than my man Steve (Thats what I call him when we kick it... Pfft yeah right!).
Cartiaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #39
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Mitchell loved the bars in 5 Points and the incident with punching the bouncer helped put him on the bench for a period. He did finish his career but I think he arguably had more potential especially in Spurrier's system than the other 3.
Don't recall him getting into much trouble either, seems it was one thing at 5 points one time where someone wanted a fight with him. Mitchell gained 15 lbs. of muscle, lowered his 40 time, and put more on his bench press and squat for the combine. Maybe he didn't have that kind of time to prepare at USC, I don't know. Maybe his problem was motivation and he just had more of it when he left. That can't really be said of any of our current qb's, they all seem to push each other to be the best.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #40
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockboy89 View Post
If this were a competition of the "best" player or "classiest" player I would go with Ingram. But since this says "favorite" I have to go with Garcia. Dude was just a rockstar who just couldn't balance his priorities.

We all got a little Garcia in us, but you gotta be able to work hard and play hard.
Can't say it any better.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote