CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
uscjeremynca
Acockolypse Now
b381l
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
auslander
Spurticus
The Yancey
GarnetSwarm1990
Blake McClain (911)
What ever happened t (884)
Clemson, Auburn home (565)
Fall Camp. (556)
The Believer - Spurr (402)
Clowney's Madden Rat (282)
This is why I gave u (272)
2017 - Jaden Hunter (265)
2016 - B.J. Emmons (225)
Daily Dose of Food P (202)
2015 - Zack Bailey
Green and Lammons
Blake McClain
Clemson, Auburn home and
Ranking the SEC Stadium A
Clemson Recruiting...how
35 ways to eat a tomato
Shaw Interview: SB Nation
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Best Offensive "Trip

Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #21
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn
Default Re: Straight From The Horses Mouth

We're all frustrated, but we know better times are ahead.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #22
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

The question is raised if Martin has chalked this season up as a mulligan?
Why shouldn't he? The fanbase already had.

I'm also with another poster, it wouldn't bother me if a lot of the guys left.
Martin's guys can stay (true fresh...give them time) but guys like Williams, Smith and Leonard should be better than this.
It wouldn't surprise me if those three guys leave after this year.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #23
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 600
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

I am confident that the program will get better under coach Martin. The one thing that this team has accomplished is that I am really looking forward to the start of the baseball season on Friday.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #24
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

there will be growing pains. and, frankly i think there will be times we question our coach. i know spurrier was questioned by the members of this board.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #25
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
The question is raised if Martin has chalked this season up as a mulligan?
Why shouldn't he? The fanbase already had.

I'm also with another poster, it wouldn't bother me if a lot of the guys left.
Martin's guys can stay (true fresh...give them time) but guys like Williams, Smith and Leonard should be better than this.
It wouldn't surprise me if those three guys leave after this year.
I don't think he's given up, I think he's trying his best to coach them and he's frustrated because they don't get it. He's trying to motivate this team so they start playing flat out. If I were on the team now, I would try harder than ever before, because he's obviously watching for the ones that will not help this team in the near future. Coach Martin desperately wants this team playing at it's best once the SEC tourney rolls around and unless our guys get the lead out, it's going to be another one and done in the post-season.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
scgc2014
Walk On

Male

scgc2014 has hatched from the shell

I look at it this way, I am a student and have gone to about half the games each year and this is my 3rd year. The first two years, I would leave the game so frustrated and mad because a lot of our struggles were laziness and I wasn't even sure if we were running an offense. We just looked like we were screwing around. Now, I see us running some type of offense, staying in some games, and when coming out of timeouts and set plays, we do some good things or at least attempting good shots etc. So just for that, I am thankful and looking forward to seeing them grow further and the recruits next year. I am hoping I can get one decent year of basketball as a student and next year is it for me.
scgc2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #27
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb

Bill Gunter says we are recruiting at least 3 players for the spring. Might not get all of them, but I expect this program to have a different look next year. More of the players will be Martin recruits, and there will be more size.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgc2014 View Post
I look at it this way, I am a student and have gone to about half the games each year and this is my 3rd year. The first two years, I would leave the game so frustrated and mad because a lot of our struggles were laziness and I wasn't even sure if we were running an offense. We just looked like we were screwing around. Now, I see us running some type of offense, staying in some games, and when coming out of timeouts and set plays, we do some good things or at least attempting good shots etc. So just for that, I am thankful and looking forward to seeing them grow further and the recruits next year.
This is my feeling on the matter as well.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #29
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
Bill Gunter says we are recruiting at least 3 players for the spring. Might not get all of them, but I expect this program to have a different look next year. More of the players will be Martin recruits, and there will be more size.
That alone is fantastic.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #30
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

that comment about l chat and williams was ridiculous. that was no answer.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #31
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

All those were true statements. I love his interviews, more entertaining than the vast majority.

This team isn't good by any stretch but they aren't nearly as bad as I anticipated either.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #32
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 960
Copperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talons

He says they go over things for days about how they are going to attack/defend a team. They then get on the court and do whatever they want like they haven't even addressed it. Martins probably looking at the floor to keep from watching so he can control breathing and heart rate in order to avoid an aneurysm or cardiac event

Gotta love it
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #33
Gamecocktuck
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 717
Gamecocktuck has feathers coming inGamecocktuck has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
We're all frustrated, but we know better times are ahead.
Many said the same during much of Horn's tenure. But, how do we know? Martin has no history of building a program. He took over a winning program at kState from Bob Huggins. We can only HOPE that better times are ahead.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #34
onamission
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1300
onamission has hatched from the shell

Coach K checked out against miami the other week. He did make them practice during the early morning hours when they got to duke though.
My point is sometimes coaches know when they are beat. If he was yelling then he would be a hot head and too intense. When he gives silent disapproval he has checked out. Give the guy sometime. He is playing with a less than full cupboard
onamission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #35
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocktuck View Post
Many said the same during much of Horn's tenure. But, how do we know? Martin has no history of building a program. He took over a winning program at kState from Bob Huggins. We can only HOPE that better times are ahead.
Did horn land a legit top 25 player his first season at Carolina? Yeah.. Case closed. At least CFM shows emotion and is passionate about the team. I never saw Horn get animated or show that he cared. Showing emotion when playing/coaching sports shows you care. I like that Martin is fired up and passionate about coaching.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #36
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Martin will create a winner here at USC. He has the passion and drive to do it. His only issue is that he currently coaches one if the poorest shooting teams in college basketball. They give effort and they hustle. They simply can't shoot as well as some high school teams I've seen. Gotta love Ellington but when he's one of your best chances of scoring and he's not good at it...then you'll have a team wi scoring issues...which is what we have.

USC is a yearly two away depending on whether he can find players that Florida doesnt want. Give Martin a few good men and he will probably compete with more talented teams.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #37
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Coach Martin has to change the culture just like the HBC did. There is vast improvement from Horn's team to this year, there has been plenty of effort given, but the little things have killed us all year. I am just as frustrated as everyone else but doesn't mean I am going to stop watching games this season. Just hoping for an NIT bid.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #38
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Coach Martin has to change the culture just like the HBC did. There is vast improvement from Horn's team to this year, there has been plenty of effort given, but the little things have killed us all year. I am just as frustrated as everyone else but doesn't mean I am going to stop watching games this season. Just hoping for an NIT bid.
Very realistic expectation of the team. It will be exciting to see the change in the basketball culture just as it was to see football change.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #39
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

I think he is a lot like Spurrier right now when he first arrived. He doesn't have the pieces he needs, but he can get some good wins now and then. 3rd year is when he will have his guys and his system.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #40
reddot8481
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200
reddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot material

Also doesn't help that we have more tpg than apg.... but that's expected with no motion in the offense and errant passes under the slightest pressure. Love Bruce, but we need an entirely new back court to be effective.
Carolina eu preciso te falar
Ô Carolina eu vou amar você
reddot8481 is offline   Reply With Quote