CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Clowneygotcha
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
Evilchicken3
spareparts
Acockolypse Now
Badazcock
eightohhthree
StormOfTalons
Mike Davis (3270)
Terrible Officiating (1821)
Cack's Toast of the (1732)
Acock's Wrap Up: Geo (1539)
If (big IF) we can w (1361)
USC -21 and a hook @ (1277)
Elliott Fry crushes (1255)
No Gurley near the g (1211)
Most Spirited Fan (918)
How the top 25 SHOUL (855)
Tired of night games
ESPN is mad that USC beat
If (big IF) we can win bi
Been a pleasure talking w
No Gurley near the goal l
The SEC East schedule fro
Beasley, Sack God
Acock's Wrap Up: Georgia
Most Spirited Fan
Coach Elliott pregame.

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite
Phil Petty 88 61.54%
Cory Boyd 55 38.46%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material
Default Phil Petty vs. Cory Boyd

Welcome to the

Cockytalk Favorite Player (2000 and current) Round 1 part 2

Use this thread to make your argument for who is your favorite player between Phil Petty and Cory Boyd

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Phil Petty vs. Cory Boyd

I'm back like cooked crack!!! Man boyd was a beast !!!
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb

I voted Phil Petty.
AikenRooster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
scdodgerfan
Walk On

Male

scdodgerfan has hatched from the shell

Phill Petty got the most out of his ability much like Ryan Brewer. A leader on & off the field. He gets my vote.
scdodgerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4524
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Once again this is about your favorite player, not who is best. I always liked Petty, but admired Boyd for what he overcame and how hard he played.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Had to go with Boyd. I'm partial to all the guys who played while I was in school there and he was a beast.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Tough choice, but I went with Petty. He's still a player I admire and loved
watching play. He was a guy who grew into leadership role mainly out of
necessity. Once he accepted the challenge, he became a much better QB
than even he thought he could be. Never was the greatest QB I saw in
my lifetime as far as ability goes, but he is a guy near the top of my list
of favorite players here because of the way he ran his position and made
the team a winner. He had the right attitude and approach to the game.

Cory is another player I really loved watching play, but unlike Phil, he played
his position behind a pretty weak O/Line that didn't allow him to be nearly
as good (stats wise) as he was capable of being. Would LOVED to have
seen him run with a line similar to the one we had in 2000 and 2001. The
only mark I have against Cory is the issue he had with substance abuse
that caused him to miss and entire season.....However, the biggest
reason I have to admire him is that he could have quit this team after that
but chose to come back and finish his time here and stay in Garnet & Black.
He did it, and became the vocal and inspiratrional leader of the team when
he did. Takes a special kind of man to do something like that.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

I'm back like cooked crack! But I picked Phil Petty. I cant remember how many times Ive said the words, "man i just wish we still had Phil Petty" during a game which we struggled at qb

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 0
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I'll never forget this hit!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
NavyCock16
Recruit

Male

NavyCock16 has earned his spursNavyCock16 has earned his spursNavyCock16 has earned his spursNavyCock16 has earned his spursNavyCock16 has earned his spursNavyCock16 has earned his spursNavyCock16 has earned his spurs

I'm voting for Phil for two reasons.

1). He was the butt of a lot of really bad Lou Holtz jokes, however they still made me laugh.

2). He dated a smokin hot cross country chick that was in one of my classes (I know he was the starting qb, but still, well done).
Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

This one is the toughest one for me of these polls so far. Petty did more with less and was more consistent than Boyd...but man I really, really liked both of these guys. I wonder shat spurrier could have done with petty...
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Had to go with Boyd. I'm partial to all the guys who played while I was in school there and he was a beast.
Same here. Cory is easily on my short list of favorites I ever watched from the student section.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #13
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
This one is the toughest one for me of these polls so far. Petty did more with less and was more consistent than Boyd...but man I really, really liked both of these guys. I wonder shat spurrier could have done with petty...
Is this when you're day dreaming and poo your pants? Go clean yourself up.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
Petty was a steady performer. I cussed him all the time, but would love for him to be qb at any point the past decade.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #15
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Tough choice, but I went with Petty. He's still a player I admire and loved
watching play. He was a guy who grew into leadership role mainly out of
necessity. Once he accepted the challenge, he became a much better QB
than even he thought he could be. Never was the greatest QB I saw in
my lifetime as far as ability goes, but he is a guy near the top of my list
of favorite players here because of the way he ran his position and made
the team a winner. He had the right attitude and approach to the game.

Cory is another player I really loved watching play, but unlike Phil, he played
his position behind a pretty weak O/Line that didn't allow him to be nearly
as good (stats wise) as he was capable of being. Would LOVED to have
seen him run with a line similar to the one we had in 2000 and 2001. The
only mark I have against Cory is the issue he had with substance abuse
that caused him to miss and entire season.....However, the biggest
reason I have to admire him is that he could have quit this team after that
but chose to come back and finish his time here and stay in Garnet & Black.
He did it, and became the vocal and inspiratrional leader of the team when
he did. Takes a special kind of man to do something like that.
The circumstances surrounding Petty taking over as a starter and the reaction of some of his "teammates" would have destroyed a lot of guys. The fact he was able to recover from that and lead the team the way he did was enough for me pick him here.
Dizzy01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
A-Cluckwork-Orange
Optimist

Male

A-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his comb

Wow this was a tough choice. I give Petty credit for the win at GA in 2001, and probably for the Alabama game. Done.
A-Cluckwork-Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #17
Barry_gamecock
Average a post a day

Male

CockyCash: 327
Barry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot material

Petty. First off, I gotta rep my hometown.
Second, He led us out of our darkest years of 0-22.
Third, he led us to back to back bowl victories against OSU.
Fourth, He did it with way less talent around him than we have now.

I really loved how hard Cory played but Phil is pretty high up there in terms of importance to our recent history.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
sixthfloorsnowden
Recruit

Male

sixthfloorsnowden has earned his spurssixthfloorsnowden has earned his spurssixthfloorsnowden has earned his spurssixthfloorsnowden has earned his spurssixthfloorsnowden has earned his spurssixthfloorsnowden has earned his spurs

Cory Boyd made killing a man on the football field cool before Clowney was even in high school. (Keep in mind, the UVa player never played another snap after Boyd hit him)
sixthfloorsnowden is offline   Reply With Quote