CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
5lbYardcock
18IsTheMan
ZenUSC
The Yancey
b381l
StormOfTalons
evan_aggie
conwaycock2
bigdog2003
Do we have any shot (2907)
Carolina opens -15.5 (2272)
What changes can and (1796)
Shaw: Check Out This (1616)
Gamecock football Lo (1501)
Don't tell me we don (1335)
Gamecocks claimed an (1232)
Tanner McEvoy should (1160)
SOS Teleconference (1158)
who thinks we need a (960)
(50 minute Replay) USC vs
My Observations About USC
Mike Davis "doubtful
The Demise of the 3-4
Do we have any shot again
Gamecock football Long Te
MLS almost ready for play
Gamecocks D staff reveal
What changes can and will
SOS Teleconference

Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #41
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material
Default Re: Charlotte Observer: JD Clowney should consider skipping 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Luck last year.

I thought he was a Senior
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #42
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
Huh?
I was just answering the question of has there ever been a hands down 1st round pick at the end of their season.

He was a RS Jr last year.

Hands down #1 pick after his RS Soph year (elected to stay)
Then hands down #1 pick after his RS Jr year. (Which we all know)

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #43
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:
Are there any other underclassmen that have been as highly projected as Clowney with still one year they have to play?
Quote:
Quote:
Huh?
I was just answering the question of has there ever been a hands down 1st round pick at the end of their season.

He was a RS Jr last year.

Hands down #1 pick after his RS Soph year (elected to stay)
Then hands down #1 pick after his RS Jr year. (Which we all know)

My mistake by "have" I should have instead said "with still one year before they are eligible for the draft"
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #44
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
My mistake by "have" I should have instead said "with still one year before they are eligible for the draft"
Well technically he had 2 years and was a lock to be #1 overall.

But yea I get it.

#LukeForMod

Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #45
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

Quote:
Well technically he had 2 years and was a lock to be #1 overall.

But yea I get it.
2008 redshirt season

2009 was his second year out of high school

2010 was his redshirt junior season. He was eligible to declare for the 2011 NFL Draft

2011 was his redshirt senior season

Did he play well enough in 2009 to be a lottery pick? Or rather did draft experts at that time say that he should not play the 2010 season and just work out for the lottery in 2011?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #46
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
2008 redshirt season

2010 was his redshirt junior season. He was eligible to declare for the 2011 NFL Draft

Did he play well enough in 2009 to be a lottery pick? Or rather did draft experts at that time say that he should not play the 2010 season and just work out for the lottery in 2011?

Yes. They said he'd be a/the top pick.
But no they didn't tell him he should sit out.

Scouts said he was the "next big thing" after his RS Freshman year (09). And the talking heads made comments about him being better than the 2010 first overall Pick-Sam Bradford.

Stanford finished with 9 wins and Toby Gearhart got robbed of the Heisman in Luck's first year of play.

#LukeForMod

Old 02-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #47
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
2008 redshirt season

2010 would be his RS Soph
2011 would be his be RsJunior
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #48
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

Quote:
Yes.

Scouts said he was the "next big thing" after his RS Freshman year. And the talking heads made comments about him being better than the 2010 first overall Pick-Sam Bradford.

Stanford finished with 9 wins and Toby Gearhart got robbed of the Heisman in Luck's first year of play.

I just do not remember columns stating Luck should sit out the 2010 season to avoid getting hurt before the 2011 draft.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #49
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
I just do not remember columns stating Luck should sit out the 2010 season to avoid getting hurt before the 2011 draft.
Yea I edited my post.

I wasn't seeing how the question was asked.
So to sum it up.
Was he lock to be a first overall pick for 2 maybe 3 years. YES
Was he told sit out so he doesn't get hurt? No.

#LukeForMod

Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #50
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh Gamecock View Post
2010 would be his RS Soph
2011 would be his be RsJunior

Yes, his redshirt junior season
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #51
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

stupid
robgusc76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #52
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

Quote:
Yea I edited my post.

I wasn't seeing how the question was asked.
So to sum it up.
Was he lock to be a first overall pick for 2 maybe 3 years. YES
Was he told sit out so he doesn't get hurt? No.

and the question I am asking is if Clowney has been the first player to get columns written about him sitting out the third year he would be out of high school to avoid injury before the first draft in which he would be eligible?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #53
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
and the question I am asking is if Clowney has been the first player to get columns written about him sitting out the third year he would be out of high school to avoid injury before the first draft in which he would be eligible?
Yes

Like i said the first time you said I was reading it as has there ever been a lock for the number 1 pick like Clowney in the past 6 years.

My bad.

#LukeForMod

Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #54
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

Quote:
Yes

Like i said the first time you said I was reading it as has there ever been a lock for the number 1 pick like Clowney in the past 6 years.

My bad.

Ah, my bad.

I misread your response.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #55
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

I guess if there is a difference, it is that everyone believes Clowney has no interest in being in college and is only marking time until he can get to where he really wants (and probably should) be.

Now if the above is true, then the only way right now to realistically do that (sit out this year to go into next year's draft without playing the college football season) and do it in a way that doesn't make owners and draftniks question his toughness and dedication, would be to just challenge the system like Mike Williams and Maurice Clarette. Make the NCAA declare him ineligible for the year without him explicitly bowing out of the season just to avoid injury.

The difference again being that those type columns where not written about Mike and Maurice (to my recollection).
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #56
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Interesting that ESPN's PTI show discussed this topic on today's show. I don't know what they said because I was at the gym and this particular TV I was watching didn't have the CC on.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #57
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

That's all I heard about on the sportstalk stations in Charlotte today besides how bad the Bobcats suck. These Tarholes are fearing their beatdown.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #58
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 560000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Slow sports day for Tom and the Observer. This is what you get when the Tarheels and Bobcats are sucking it up. They also talked about Michael Jordan coming back at age 50 and playing for the Bobcats.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #59
cockyjordan3
Wofford Terrier

Male

CockyCash: 392442
cockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot material

He's playing lol

cockyjordan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #60
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyjordan3 View Post
He's playing lol
Tweet

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote