CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
thekob
Lonnie
COCKYTALKIN
garnet_black215
Master Bedroom
elcid99
Captain9Dragons
ertman420
Gamecocks1137
Clemson Recruiting.. (4570)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (1991)
Hello Gamecocks! (763)
Marching band (711)
John Rocker at rock (699)
My predictions for 2 (341)
Section 16 (338)
Muschamp + fan = win (316)
Does anyone know how (248)
Good Article on Aubu (248)
Official SEC Network and
An Aggies View of the Mat
2015 Commitment - Marquav
Ced Cooper's 40 Time
2015 - Christian Pellage
NCAA Concussion Settlemen
Clemson Recruiting...how
2016 - Brandon McIlwain
2016 - Bryan Edwards
John Rocker at rock botto

Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #41
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material
Default Re: Straight From The Horses Mouth

Well have two transfers
Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #42
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb

As nice as these young men may be who Horn recruited, I doubt that Martin would have recruited any of them. The program will improve as Martin replaces Horn's recruits with his own. I wish all of the players much success in their futures, but I am looking forward to more talented and tougher players being brought into the program.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #43
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocktuck View Post
Many said the same during much of Horn's tenure. But, how do we know? Martin has no history of building a program. He took over a winning program at kState from Bob Huggins. We can only HOPE that better times are ahead.
I never expected much out of Horn when he limped to a weak record after Devan graduated. Frank Martin has already proven himself at a high major so I KNOW he will succeed at Carolina. Huggins was only at K-State for a year or two before Frank took over.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #44
GamecockDad1531
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot material

I don't know what team you guys are watching, but this SC team is waaaaayyyyy better than last year's team. We've actually been competitive in most of our games. Frank Martin is coaching these guys up, big time. Without him, we have 3 wins, TOTAL. This team is made up of a bunch of Div 2 basketball players. Darrin Horn ****ed us, bad. I love Ellington, but if he's gonna play bball, he needs to give up football. Too divided. Plus, we have no size.

Martin knows he's getting almost all that he can out of these guys. It's why he doesn't go apeshit all the time, just sometimes. He hasn't checked out. It's like with my kids. If they mess up and I know that they were doing the best they could do, then I don't yell. I breathe deeply and calmly correct, with mild fussing.

This is the best this team can do. Period.

Better players. It should tell you all you need to know when our best player is a true frosh brought here by Martin that wasn't even a starter at the beginning of the season.
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #45
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC85 View Post
We need better players.
Better and taller.....tall is good in basketball.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #46
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgc2014 View Post
I look at it this way, I am a student and have gone to about half the games each year and this is my 3rd year. The first two years, I would leave the game so frustrated and mad because a lot of our struggles were laziness and I wasn't even sure if we were running an offense. We just looked like we were screwing around. Now, I see us running some type of offense, staying in some games, and when coming out of timeouts and set plays, we do some good things or at least attempting good shots etc. So just for that, I am thankful and looking forward to seeing them grow further and the recruits next year. I am hoping I can get one decent year of basketball as a student and next year is it for me.
Go to law school....that will give you 3 more years. Just kidding. I think we're going to have 3 very good players coming in next year, and we would have won at least half of these close games next year.
By the way, we're missing Page now. It's a shame he couldn't get in done in class.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #47
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Spurriers first four seasons here: 29-22, 1 bowl win.

Give it time. Hell even Holtz' first year here he went 0-11, and went 17-7 after with two bowl wins.

This thing was never about instant results. Frank might be overly intense but when you watch how this team plays basketball, most of it is warranted. A lot of these players have dumb habits, and he's been trying to kill them all season.

This program will be legit in a few years. Martin is getting his type of players here and his system running.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #48
Spur20001
4-Star

Male

Spur20001 has feathers coming inSpur20001 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Many said the same during much of Horn's tenure. But, how do we know? Martin has no history of building a program. He took over a winning program at kState from Bob Huggins. We can only HOPE that better times are ahead.
Excellent post. Glad to see someone with a reality point of view. KSU was a very good program when Huggins left. USC was and is in a big mess. Only time will tell if Martin is the man who turns this program around. Just as you stated, Martin has zero history of turning a college progam around. I am taking a wait and see approach. No one knows how this is going to play out and many did say Horn would turn it around, Odom would turn it around and neither did. Hopefully Martin will do just that.
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #49
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Gregg Marshall has plenty of history building programs.... Just sayin..

Haha, sorry I had to do it!!

Please don't kill me. I like Frank and am glad he is our coach. But I have always been a Marshall fan because I was at CofC when he was an assistant learning under Kresse.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #50
al hough
Walk On

Male

al hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his comb

You doubters should watch a practice prep for the next game and then watch the game to see if the players do what they were being taught to do. I can tell you that I did watch a practice prep for the next game and then watched the game. You would think that the players did not show up for practice. Coach Martin and staff know how to coach the game it is just that the left overs from Horn don't seem to have ever been coached at any level, junior high, high school or college. These coaches know what they are doing and when they get their players into the program you will just say WOW, what happened? If a college guy can't pass the ball or shoot it, what does that say about his background in the game. I really like what I am seeing from the coaching standpoint, but you have to have players that have some basketball talent to make things work. The only positive I see in this bunch is that they seem to want to do it right but just don't have the ability to get it done. I think that the current left overs will get limited floor time next season and most likely none the year after. We will see a very different type of player next season. Just appreciate what Coach Martin is trying to do with this team and get ready for the years ahead. I am completely behind this staff and like what and how they are trying to teach this team. When they shoot well and defend they are pretty good. Hang in there guys, things are looking up!!!
al hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #51
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
As nice as these young men may be who Horn recruited, I doubt that Martin would have recruited any of them. The program will improve as Martin replaces Horn's recruits with his own. I wish all of the players much success in their futures, but I am looking forward to more talented and tougher players being brought into the program.
I agree.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #52
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockDad1531 View Post
I don't know what team you guys are watching, but this SC team is waaaaayyyyy better than last year's team. We've actually been competitive in most of our games. Frank Martin is coaching these guys up, big time. Without him, we have 3 wins, TOTAL. This team is made up of a bunch of Div 2 basketball players. Darrin Horn ****ed us, bad. I love Ellington, but if he's gonna play bball, he needs to give up football. Too divided. Plus, we have no size.

Martin knows he's getting almost all that he can out of these guys. It's why he doesn't go apeshit all the time, just sometimes. He hasn't checked out. It's like with my kids. If they mess up and I know that they were doing the best they could do, then I don't yell. I breathe deeply and calmly correct, with mild fussing.

Better players. It should tell you all you need to know when our best player is a true frosh brought here by Martin that wasn't even a starter at the beginning of the season.
I think this is spot on. Martin knows what he's got and knows its not good enough. He's not flipping out on guys who while maybe not talented enough to compete on an SEC level will be part of this program in a practice player/locker room guy capacity. No point in getting worked up about a lost season, just build to next year.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #53
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

For me personally, it took until after he was gone to find out just how bad Horn screwed us over. It has been mentioned several times, but the players he recruited that are on this team just are not SEC caliber players, and it's starting to show in conference play.

Give Frank time to install his system and get his players running that system. Thornwell is a nice start, and getting Johnson mid-season next season will help. We still need that big post player to really have a chance, but I think next year we will see some improvement. We all knew this year was going to be a long year, but it is good to see us in most of the games in SEC play, whereas with Horn most of the games were decided at halftime.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 AM   #54
ColaBoi83
Walk On

Male

ColaBoi83 has feathers coming inColaBoi83 has feathers coming in

I think Frank Martin's comments and actions are whats warranted in this situation. He's attempting to do with the basketball program what Spurrier set out to do when he 1st got here which is changing the culture of a program. The team has developed a loser's mentality, the fanbase(us) look for and are happy with any type of "moral" victory that can be extracted from a game, and there is a total lack of discipline and display of fundamentals. we gotta stop being so soft on these guys, expect to win, demand more and start asking the same question about our basketball program as we did with about our football program...why not US?!? other schools rebound! other schools play defense! other schools play with poise and discipline! why not US! I'm perfectly comfortable to let all of Frank's stare-downs and vein-poppers soak into these guys so that the cream can rise to the top!

P.S. I was at the clemson game earlier this season, frank called a timeout after a few moments of sloppy play and when the team came over to the bench he damn-near went "Bobby Knight" on'em! you know what happened after that.....people cheered and clapped(for frank!) we all know what results good placed discipline can yield...#ijs
ColaBoi83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #55
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

We will get better...but Frank really has nothing to work with.... Gonna take some time. Oh, and I am the only one that hopes Ellington gives up basketball? He doesn't have a future in basketball, but I think he might in football.... Sorry, but his shooting % has to be under 30% in SEC play....maybe under 25%... Love his effort, but he is just not anywhere close to being a SEC point guard.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #56
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
We will get better...but Frank really has nothing to work with.... Gonna take some time. Oh, and I am the only one that hopes Ellington gives up basketball? He doesn't have a future in basketball, but I think he might in football.... Sorry, but his shooting % has to be under 30% in SEC play....maybe under 25%... Love his effort, but he is just not anywhere close to being a SEC point guard.
Ill have to agree with you about Ellington. He should focus on being a receiver. I'm anxious o see what this Villanova transfer can do at the point... Sucks we have to wait till almost SEC play time to see him.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #57
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post

With Ty Johnson coming in December, and especially if we get Chad Frazier, we will not need Bruce.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #58
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockDad1531 View Post

You are right.
The team is playing better under Martin.
But I think Martin has gotten all he can out of some of these guys...which is a reflection on Horn's poor recruiting.

The guys are playing hard, and that is all we can ask this year.

But we need better players...we are on the right track, we just need the horses to run the race now.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #59
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
With Ty Johnson coming in December, and especially if we get Chad Frazier, we will not need Bruce.
I'm with you.
I love Bruce's heart, but his future is in football.

And I agree...the guard from Nova should start next year.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #60
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
Excellent post. Glad to see someone with a reality point of view. KSU was a very good program when Huggins left. USC was and is in a big mess. Only time will tell if Martin is the man who turns this program around. Just as you stated, Martin has zero history of turning a college progam around. I am taking a wait and see approach. No one knows how this is going to play out and many did say Horn would turn it around, Odom would turn it around and neither did. Hopefully Martin will do just that.
I wouldn't say KSU was a very good program when Huggins left. They had been an average to below average Big XII team when Huggins got there. Huggins took a senior laden team to the NIT in his only year there. To me, that's still in the process of turning a program around. Martin took KSU to the NCAA tournament 4 times and the NIT once. It's even more telling (and a good sign for us) that Martin had his best success after Huggins' big name recruits (Beasley and Walker) had already left the program.
markymark550 is online now   Reply With Quote