CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
ReadR00ster
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
Bobby Boucher
usc1
b381l
acejrock
catdaddy66
Spurticus
BREAD (390)
South Carolina @ Aub (332)
Dress shirt help (264)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (234)
Starz Black Sails (229)
Best Child Acting Pe (113)
Unsung Hero (12)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #3
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Connor Mitch
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
BREAD
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Kelcy and Vic questioned
2015 - Auden Tate

Old 02-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #81
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 600
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly
Default Re: Has the Bball Program Hit Rock Bottom, Yet?

I like what Frank Martin is doing. He is establishing that he will not "settle" for so-so effort. He is a winner and will build a winner. It took Staley 3-4 years to compete in the very tough SEC. It took Spurrier a few years to get things to where they are now. Given a little time, Frank Martin will have his program where we can compete for the top of the conference, rather than trying to win some games.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #82
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 990000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

I can hardly believe that this thread is still alive ! Oh ye of little faith, should you not believe that things have already changed.......... or are you toddlers, exempt from knowledge ?
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #83
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15800
SECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to SECgamecock453

I just don't want Frank to abandon us.... please help us Frank. HEEEEELP!

SECgamecock453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #84
Makindough
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 280
Makindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPit

I believe in Frank Martin as much as i believed in SOS when he came...that they WILL turn the program around AND SOS HAS soooooo Coach Martin will as well. They are both cut from the same mold, and will take on any challenge for the simple fact that people say it cant be done. They share the same mentality and it will show in a couple years, I mean hell he has already gotten a commitment from Sindarious Thornwell, thats a big instate keeper!
Makindough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #85
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makindough View Post
I believe in Frank Martin as much as i believed in SOS when he came...that they WILL turn the program around AND SOS HAS soooooo Coach Martin will as well. They are both cut from the same mold, and will take on any challenge for the simple fact that people say it cant be done. They share the same mentality and it will show in a couple years, I mean hell he has already gotten a commitment from Sindarious Thornwell, thats a big instate keeper!
We'll see Frank get about 15 wins this season and about 20 next season and probably 22 or 23 in year 3. Frank Martin is not the type of coach that's going to need 5 years to turn it around.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #86
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Taking down tenn today would be a good step toward improvement. I'd like to see improvement this year in the second half of SEC play. The last three years we have regressed this time of year and the last three games hasn't been any indication of progression other than effort, which should be a given on this level.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #87
uscJustin06
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervoususcJustin06 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Taking down tenn today would be a good step toward improvement. I'd like to see improvement this year in the second half of SEC play. The last three years we have regressed this time of year and the last three games hasn't been any indication of progression other than effort, which should be a given on this level.
This is what worries me. This is starting to look like the end of last season. Losing the winnable games and getting blown out against good teams. I thought we played better earlier in the year. We shouldn't be getting worse.
uscJustin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #88
brat
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscJustin06 View Post
This is what worries me. This is starting to look like the end of last season. Losing the winnable games and getting blown out against good teams. I thought we played better earlier in the year. We shouldn't be getting worse.
The other teams are also improving over the course of the season. We have less talent and not much quality depth. If our team improves, it still will generally lose against an improved team with better talent.

Subpar talent, little size, a new coaching staff and system to learn, etc., you just shouldn't expect miracles or anything approaching one in year one.

This season has been a success because it looks like our guys care and try hard. They might still screw up some, but this is a vast improvement over last year. Add in a little more talent next year, with the same effort and desire, we'll take another decent step toward respectability.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #89
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscJustin06 View Post
We played better earlier in the year because, for the most part, the teams we played weren't that great. While that OOC schedule was necessary, it wasn't a good indicator (save for the St. John's and Clemson games) of how we would perform in conference games.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #90
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Just because we made what many think is a good hire and have some good recruits waiting in the wings does not change the fact that the bball program is still in the depths of despair. I don't think it's wrong to say that we are still at an all-time low as a program. It's sad, and while I believe that Martin will turn it around, it doesn't change the fact about how bad we are.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #91
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

It's a team of role players right now. only maybe one or two of them are worthy to be starters and they should be the worst two starters. That's how far we have to go start contending for an NCAA tournament birth.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #92
brat
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Last year with Horn has to be worse than it is now because there was still little indication he could recruit well enough to make improvement and that likely would be the case if he had stayed another 10 years.

With Martin, we have more promising kids coming in and are in the running for others than we have been since the best days of Fogler.

While next year, we will have more talent, I still do not expect us do make a major jump in the win column. Needing a bunch of Freshmen to lead the team to wins is not something on which to pin your hopes for a breakout season. They will help, but they will be young and will have to learn Frank's way of doing things and that takes time. At least there is hope for the future with Martin. It was quickly evident Horn was not the one to bring our program back to respectibility.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #93
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

We have to remember that our bball program is a business. The management (Martin and Staff) is in place, now it's time to replace the merchandise (players).

When you are in a downward spiral, you have to hit rock bottom before you can make your way up. Knowing that we have now reached rock bottom, I can take solace in the fact that there's only one way to go from here, up.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #94
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Coach K's first three years at Duke:

17-13
10-17
11-17

Just saying. You're bound to run into hurdles when you're breaking new ground. Darrin Horn only did well to start his first year because he was giftwrapped Devan Downey, Sam Muldrow, Zam Frederick, Mike Holmes and Domonique Archie from the Dave Odom. After we went 21-10 Horn's first year, Holmes and Archie didn't play the next season, Frederick graduated, and all we had left was Downey and Muldrow to go 15-16. Downey graduates, then all we have is Muldrow, and the team continues to get worse.

Over time Horn showed zero ability to bring in the quality of players Odom did, and it showed this program was going nowhere. Martin's a better recruiter and over time will bring in big talents to turn this program around. Give it time. Michael Carrera, Sindarius Thornwell and Tyronne Johnson is a good start.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #95
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

I think the LSU game and the first 10 minutes of the Alabama game represented "rock bottom". It will all get better from here.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #96
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I think the LSU game and the first 10 minutes of the Alabama game represented "rock bottom". It will all get better from here.
You could be right. Here's to hoping the worst is behind these guys.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #97
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Another season has come and gone without our basketball team showing much improvement. Yes, we won a couple more games than last year, but is that anything to hang your hat on? Considering our OOC schedule was the easiest in DIV 1 Bball, I say no.

In all honesty, there are two bright spots on the team. Micheal C. and the coaching staff, both of which have yet to fulfill their potential in Columbia and have a long way to go to do so.

When the day comes that moral victories are something to be ashamed of, and this team wins more than it loses and makes an appearance in the NCAA tournament, I'll consider the program on the way up. Until then, we are still the SEC cellar dwellers and stuck in the worst rut in our basketball programs history.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #98
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Things always get worse before they can get better
Old 03-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #99
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
Things always get worse before they can get better
Very true, and at times it is hard to be patient. This season was one of those times. I truly believe the basketball program will become competitive and we will go to the dance in another two years or so.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #100
Ace Dilcock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 680
Ace Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his comb

Two problems caused us to hit bottom. One was Horn - just a bad coaching hire. I mean, what coach with any sense would run off Ramon Galloway? The other is the turnover that comes with a coaching change. No Harris, no Gill. Losing Geathers to injury did not help either.

Now we just need stability for a couple of years. We have a man who can coach and recruit and it will get better quickly.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote