CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
RGHoskins
Master Bedroom
donbgamecock
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
Captain9Dragons
The Yancey
ccured
Fight, win, kick a-- (1438)
The Gator Bowl wants (1095)
Why I'm hopeful abou (1089)
A simple defensive l (832)
USC will upset Aubur (824)
In-state QB talent (671)
Texas athletic direc (422)
This is War (399)
SEC Debate: Best can (366)
Which loss hurt wors (307)
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
BA ranks recruiting class
Texas athletic director:
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Garber vs Klinsmann round
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Cann tipping plays?
Rest of the season predic
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
A simple defensive line &

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #161
lchite4
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
lchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Perspective on our class so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid99 View Post
Throw the star ratings out the door now. Time to see what happens when they button up their chin straps this summer. We shall see, but the LB recruits better have balls that go clank bc those boys will have to play. Other than the LBs, Cooper, Brown, Williams, and Griffin have a shot at PT this year. We shall see.
Brown? You mean Bryant?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #162
elcid99
cant kill da rooster

Male

CockyCash: 217705
elcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchite4 View Post
Brown? You mean Bryant?
No, Martin. I said, other than the LBs, which includes Bryant, Ronnie Brown is one of the guys who I believe will play this year.

Last edited by elcid99; 02-11-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #163
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 66034
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid99 View Post
No, Brown. I said, other than the LBs, which includes Bryant, Ronnie Brown is one of the guys who I believe will play this year.
You still are wrong haha... We did not get the former auburn RB here.

Ronnie MARTIN is correct.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #164
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I suspect Martin, Park, Bryant, and Griffin will move into the 3 deep this year, with all but Park likely getting playing time. Park and Martin getting a head start make a difference, and Griffin seems to bring a lot of potential to a seemingly thin position. David Johnson may be a fit at linebacker while on a transition to a DL hybrid, but there is a lot to learn at LB when stepping into the SEC. Williams, Cooper, and Groves are going to get a lot of interest when they arrive, and there is often a surprise performer every summer. I like the class.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #165
elcid99
cant kill da rooster

Male

elcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudlyelcid99 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
You still are wrong haha... We did not get the former auburn RB here.

Ronnie MARTIN is correct.

Correct...sorry.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #166
elcid99
cant kill da rooster

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I suspect Martin, Park, Bryant, and Griffin will move into the 3 deep this year, with all but Park likely getting playing time. Park and Martin getting a head start make a difference, and Griffin seems to bring a lot of potential to a seemingly thin position. David Johnson may be a fit at linebacker while on a transition to a DL hybrid, but there is a lot to learn at LB when stepping into the SEC. Williams, Cooper, and Groves are going to get a lot of interest when they arrive, and there is often a surprise performer every summer. I like the class.
Coach has every intention of RS everyone of the OL signees. Once Park sheds the baby fat, he will be hell on wheels. The LBs have to play, Cooper (return guy), Martin (cb), Williams (can't RS a RB with his speed & ability), and Griffin could all get PT. Like every year, there will be one or two surprise as well.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #167
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material
Cool Re: Perspective on our class so far

What factors must our coaching staff consider when deciding whether or not to recruit a player?
Geographic location - Tho some do, most guys don't stray too far from home to play CFB.
Skill, talent, ability to play at the CFB level.
Size, frame, ability to develop.
Brainpower. Don't sell this one short. Gotta work two jobs - scholar and athlete.
Attitude/work ethic - What coach needs a prima donna?
Family - What coach needs a PITA parent?
Position needs.
Team needs - Will his style of play and skill set match your needs?

In just a few minutes, I just listed eight factors a staff must consider, and you guys could add even more to that list.

How many of those factors are reflected in a potential recruit's Star rating?

Could it be that those Stars are nothing more than the tip of the iceberg we call recruiting?

Could it be that SOS and staff have developed a much more sophisticated system of evaluating recruits than you and I imagine? One that takes a myriad of factors into consideration other than just his skill set(Stars)?

After all, 'the proof is in the pudding', is it not? Well, guys, that pudding SOS is cooking up includes a whole bunch of ingredients we've never seen around here before.

FYI, he calls them 'first's', and here's just a few of them:
Consistent year-to-year-to-year improvement in our football program.
More wins than ever before playing in the nation's toughest conference.
Two 11-win seasons back-to-back and loaded for bear in 2013.
Unprecedented success against our major rivals.
No longer Is USC considered 'the graveyard of coaches'.
And best of all is the caliber of young men our program is now producing.

You see, guys, it wasn't Latti's legs that carried us to national prominence - it was his heart.

Everyone can do a better job, but when I see people comparing our program to Alabama's as proof of the 'poor' job SOS is doing, I just LMAO. Someone should explain to them what a back-handed compliment is.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #168
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

I forgot about this thread...haha.

Stats is the only class I ever failed. Now I know why...
Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #169
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Does Groves have a similar skill set to last year's Rico McWilliams. I'm not sure where I got that impression.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 AM   #170
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
What factors must our coaching staff consider when deciding whether or not to recruit a player?
Geographic location - Tho some do, most guys don't stray too far from home to play CFB.
Brainpower. Don't sell this one short. Gotta work two jobs - scholar and athlete.
Position needs.

In just a few minutes, I just listed eight factors a staff must consider, and you guys could add even more to that list.

Could it be that those Stars are nothing more than the tip of the iceberg we call recruiting?

Could it be that SOS and staff have developed a much more sophisticated system of evaluating recruits than you and I imagine? One that takes a myriad of factors into consideration other than just his skill set(Stars)?

After all, 'the proof is in the pudding', is it not? Well, guys, that pudding SOS is cooking up includes a whole bunch of ingredients we've never seen around here before.

You see, guys, it wasn't Latti's legs that carried us to national prominence - it was his heart.

Everyone can do a better job, but when I see people comparing our program to Alabama's as proof of the 'poor' job SOS is doing, I just LMAO. Someone should explain to them what a back-handed compliment is.
One thing that has really helped coaching staffs in the last few years are these summer camps where they get to measure speed, size and various agility skills against other similar position players.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #171
BigMike
Walk On

Male

BigMike has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
Position needs.

I agree 100%. Spurrier has changed this program. It is remarkable what he has done here. I'm looking for a SEC title this year.
Closed Thread