CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NineInchSpurs
WeStill0wnUSC
Badazcock
Pty23
rabid cock
markymark550
Goofyboy
2000grad
ZenUSC
gromweat
Well, as it turns ou (2529)
Luginbill says ECU s (2406)
What the heck is up (1908)
Next years RB situat (1713)
ECU fan here (1425)
So, Vanderbilt is ne (1365)
Davis dinged up agai (1227)
Freaky Coincidence o (1103)
Defensive stand-arou (964)
Quarles is a Colt! (731)
Davis dinged up again?
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
So, Vanderbilt is next
Well, as it turns out, we
Gamecocks 247 sports
New Photos by Travis Bell
For the love of God! -- P
Robin William's fakes dea
No Gurley near the goal l
What the heck is up with

Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

CockyCash: 100500
johnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot material
Default Any Hammock Campers?

I got one of these ENOs. She real nice.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Any Hammock Campers?

12+4=6
Old 02-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
12+4=6
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 850
12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to 12+4=6

Haha yep here I am

Class of 2013
12+4=6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

I'm going hiking up in Pisgah in April. We're doing 4 days worth of hiking and setting up camp each night. It's about 12 of us and most have ENO's hammocks. I just can't justify spending the money on one. Are they really worth it? Do they really sleep that well?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 400
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

They are great if you don't toss or turn when you sleep. They are the best when falling asleep; they have a gentle rock and you can star gaze. Don't get drunk and sleep in one. I woke up one night to piss and when I got back in, I almost puked from the rocking. I quit using mine and went back to a tent because I like to sleep on my side and stomach. For a backpacking trip of that length though, you can't beat the weight of the hammock. Make sure you take a pad to insulate the hammock as well; it can get quite chilly on your rear end if you don't.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Just got one for my Daughter, she loves it..... I put hooks up in two places in the yard & when it is nice she likes to read in it.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post
I'm going hiking up in Pisgah in April. We're doing 4 days worth of hiking and setting up camp each night. It's about 12 of us and most have ENO's hammocks. I just can't justify spending the money on one. Are they really worth it? Do they really sleep that well?
Yes, they're worth it, because you don't need a tent or sleeping pad....just the hammock. Plus, a lot of them come with mosquito netting and rain fly. Plus, they're awesome for stealth camping, and also, when you leave, no one even knows you were there. Talk about leaving no trace.
AikenRooster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster2112 View Post
Yes, they're worth it, because you don't need a tent or sleeping pad....just the hammock. Plus, a lot of them come with mosquito netting and rain fly. Plus, they're awesome for stealth camping, and also, when you leave, no one even knows you were there. Talk about leaving no trace.

This is my main reason for considering the hammock route. We hiking anywhere from 6-8 miles a day and weight is a big issue.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 7920
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

Just banana hammocks.
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

johnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot material

Quote:
they do sleep well and are significantly lighter and easier than toting a tent.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
12+4=6
Blue Chip

Male

12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit

Just a heads up - Most people that say hammocks aren't comfortable are trying to lay in them straight (end to end, face up) and their bodies end up curling like a banana. If you sleep at a diagonal (using the extra fabric on each side) you actually lay flat and can even sleep on your side if you want. A cheap blue walmart pad is very light and adds a bunch of warmth on cooler nights.

Class of 2013
Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 400
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

If its going to be cold, get a pad. Try it one night without a pad and you'll notice how cold it gets within minutes.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12+4=6 View Post
Just a heads up - Most people that say hammocks aren't comfortable are trying to lay in them straight (end to end, face up) and their bodies end up curling like a banana. If you sleep at a diagonal (using the extra fabric on each side) you actually lay flat and can even sleep on your side if you want. A cheap blue walmart pad is very light and adds a bunch of warmth on cooler nights.
That's good to know. And I already have a pad so ill be sure to bring that.

Looked around on amazon and you can get a single eaglesnest for $45. That's not a bad price.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

I am thinking about getting one. Right now I have a light weight 1 man backpacking tent that I take. I won't be going backpacking for a while now anyway with my knee messed up.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

Quote:
That's good to know. And I already have a pad so ill be sure to bring that.

Looked around on amazon and you can get a single eaglesnest for $45. That's not a bad price.
I'd recommend a dbl nest. More room to lie flat diagonally as a previous poster said. It also cocoons nicely around you and allows room for a sleeping pad.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:17 AM   #16
12+4=6
Blue Chip

Male

Second on the Double. If any of you would like to learn more or have any questions I would suggest checking out hammockforums.net. There's a thread for pretty much everything you could think to ask.

Class of 2013
Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #17
12+4=6
Blue Chip

Male

Also - AVOID spending the extra money on the ENO slap straps or whatever they're called. They stretch, sag, and aren't adjustable enough if you're actually trying to hang on a hike. There are plenty of cheap, easy DIY options for straps/suspension.

Class of 2013
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12+4=6 View Post
Also - AVOID spending the extra money on the ENO slap straps or whatever they're called. They stretch, sag, and aren't adjustable enough if you're actually trying to hang on a hike. There are plenty of cheap, easy DIY options for straps/suspension.
QFT. I went to Home Depot and bought one of these for $4:

Cut off the hooks, tied a few knots, and there we have it.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #19
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Like this?
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
N00k
SigMaster

Male

CockyCash: 1952776
N00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot materialN00k is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to N00k Send a message via Yahoo to N00k

$50 for a Grand Trunk hammock. The best investment I've ever made. When the weather is warmer I spend EVERY SINGLE lunch break in my hammock. I work at a university and just go to an area with trees on campus and hang it up. Netflix/Hulu on the ipad and lunch in the hammock. I actually had a tear. (Unfortunate incident with the pavement). I bought an eno hammock repair kit and it worked great. I take it with me everywhere in my bookbag.

N00k is offline   Reply With Quote