CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
The Yancey
Gamecocks1137
Sandstorm29
aftertwobowls
Cocks N Stuff
GarnetSwarm1990
robgusc76
cockybreeyan
rioninusc
The Vent and Coachin (8856)
Disturbing comments (3417)
2015 schedule is bru (2858)
UF lets Durkin go (2337)
2015 Early Enrollees (1957)
The U ends apparel d (857)
Bobo to Colorado St? (779)
Keeping it all in pe (477)
Marquavius Lewis (375)
Wilds & Carson B (365)
2015 - Ulric Jones
Restaurant musts in NYC
How Long Will The Rebuild
2015 - Mark Fields
5 Gourmet Foods That Used
The U ends apparel deal w
2015 schedule is brutal
Marquavius Lewis
The Vent and Coaching cha
Bo Pelini headed to Young

Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
blpanther77
Recruit

CockyCash: 500
blpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Shon Carson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
Well, he made the baseball team and is a starting OF from what I've heard, which I guess won't be official for a couple days, I believe I heard that from a Chad Holbrook interview he was saying something to the effect of "you can be a back up in fielder or start every game in the outfield."

I would guess he would continue to play football though. He won't have to make that decision until after the summer right? Whether or not he's on scholarship for fall '13 - Spring '14 for football or baseball right?
I heard that interview as well and Holbrook was speaking of Ahmad Christian who wanted to play infield. I also understood Holbrook to be leaning with Saiko in LF and Costen in RF because both are currently farther along defensively. Of course Englis will be in CF. He stated that he'd have to find a way to get Ahmad's bat in the line-up sometime, if only as the DH. According to his line-up of starters vs subs in Saturday's scrimmage Eric Payne would start as the DH. Sounds like he's going to start out with the more experienced guys from last year first, but that's not to say Carson and Christian won't work their way in as they catch up defensively.
blpanther77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

No more football for him.
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #23
unccgamecock
Recruit

Male

unccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talons

such a shame if he never got a real shot at football. never know what he could have been..
unccgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #24
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1328867758
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Shon has the talent and ability to play either, or both...... and excel as a starter!

Don't be surprised if Shon is one of the best power hitters on the team this year!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #25
uscfsu23
Two Deep

Male

uscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime843 View Post
No more football for him.
I assume this is your opinion, or did he actually say this? (Not disagreeing)
uscfsu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #26
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

I would be more concerned about Christian going fulltime baseball than Carson. And I think like only have the baseball players actually get scholarships, and the rest have to pay their way.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #27
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Um unless something changed both kids came to Carolina because we had good football and baseball programs and we've got a head ball coach who understands ball players and they wanted to play both.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #28
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
If you put Davis and Carson in the backfield at the same time, you have effectively eliminated a blocker on the outside, and I'm not sure if either Davis or Carson can block very well.
I didn't mean that, I meant it like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
i dont think he meant two backs sets, he meant having either wilds/davis as your no.1 back and carson as the no.2 back since he has the speed and breakaway ability that they dont have.
Davis and Wilds are tough runners, but I think lack break away speed. That's why I'm saying mix it up with Carson from time to time. So we'd either have a Davis / Carson 1-2 punch or Wilds - Carson. Having Davis/Wilds split time would be like having the same person in the back field, though Davis is slightly more elusive.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #29
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by blpanther77 View Post
I heard that interview as well and Holbrook was speaking of Ahmad Christian who wanted to play infield. I also understood Holbrook to be leaning with Saiko in LF and Costen in RF because both are currently farther along defensively. Of course Englis will be in CF. He stated that he'd have to find a way to get Ahmad's bat in the line-up sometime, if only as the DH. According to his line-up of starters vs subs in Saturday's scrimmage Eric Payne would start as the DH. Sounds like he's going to start out with the more experienced guys from last year first, but that's not to say Carson and Christian won't work their way in as they catch up defensively.
Thanks for the correction, I'll be more up to date on baseball goings on after Friday's game.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #30
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

There always seems to be so much talk going on about Carson who has thus far contributed very little to either football or baseball.

Before I really get too excited about what sport he will or will not be playing, I like to see him contribute a bit more. He has a career 9 yards rushing total. Joshua Blue has 19...can we talk about him some?
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #31
CockySkew
Walk On

Male

CockySkew has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
The numbers always work out....
That's the great thing about numbers, you can make them say whatever you need them to.

Back to the subject, Mike Davis is going to be the "Bruiser", but there's no substitute for a speedster hittin the hole and blowing right by the secondary. We haven't had a RB that was Open-field dangerous in a while. ML didn't even have the Breakaway Speed that Carson has. Would love to see him compete in both. Considering he'd be the backup, I don't think dual sport would hurt his conditioning THAT much.

AEK∆B

CockySkew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #32
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

He is going to play both sports. However, he will lose traction on the depth chart if he misses spring football practice.

OTH, he is such a huge football talent, he can probably play baseball and miss the eht8re spring practice and still emerge as the number one back before the first fb game in the fall.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #33
blpanther77
Recruit

blpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervousblpanther77 is making other chickens nervous

Here's just a hunch I have: Unless Carson has a huge baseball breakout season I believe he plays at least one more year of football. Then he would take another shot at baseball next spring to try moving up the MLB draft picture. In other words, if and/or when baseball success comes for him he will move on in that direction. Now. that's not to say the same couldn't happen for him in football, but it's just more likely to happen for him in baseball at this point.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #34
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

Have a few friends from Lake City and they've heard he's baseball now. Because that wrist injury scared him about his baseball career.
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #35
spursandfeathers
No Guts, No Glory

Male

spursandfeathers has feathers coming inspursandfeathers has feathers coming inspursandfeathers has feathers coming in

I talk to Shon every couple of days. I just texted him about this thread and his response was lmao. Shon has every intention of playing baseball AND football. He has alot he wants to prove. Coach Holbrook was on the local news Tuesday night. He basically said that Shon is a great talent and will see lots of playing time and contribute a lot this year. He's been very impressive in the scrimmages and practices, especially since he hasn't faced live pitching in 2 years. As far as the post about him being cut late last year, that was Christian. Shon was rehabing from acl surgery. Holbrook also said it was a mistake cutting Christian last year and it won't happen again. Shon is dedicated to the football team and baseball team. He will be playing both for another couple of years. Those are Shon's words, not mine.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #36
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

I can't wait for his first TD. Hope it comes on a big yardage play.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #37
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursandfeathers View Post
I talk to Shon every couple of days. I just texted him about this thread and his response was lmao. Shon has every intention of playing baseball AND football. He has alot he wants to prove. Coach Holbrook was on the local news Tuesday night. He basically said that Shon is a great talent and will see lots of playing time and contribute a lot this year. He's been very impressive in the scrimmages and practices, especially since he hasn't faced live pitching in 2 years. As far as the post about him being cut late last year, that was Christian. Shon was rehabing from acl surgery. Holbrook also said it was a mistake cutting Christian last year and it won't happen again. Shon is dedicated to the football team and baseball team. He will be playing both for another couple of years. Those are Shon's words, not mine.
I look forward to watching play both sports. Love me some Shon.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #38
blpanther77
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursandfeathers View Post
That should clear a lot up! I too laugh at the false reports of Shon being cut from baseball last year. Pretty hard to try out when you're rehabbing a knee injury like that. The fact is Coach Tanner only had 34 spots to work with last year due to scholly that was wasted on a kid (who I will leave unnamed) out of North Carolina that didn't make the grades needed in his fall semester. Otherwise Ahmad would have been on the baseball team as the 35th and final roster spot. This year Ahmad and Shon are on board and Holbrook has a full compliment of 35 spots. All those two need is some more at-bats and time in the field. Hopefully Tanner English doesn't struggle at the plate, nor does Saiko or Costen, but if any of those do then we'll see a lot more of Shon and Ahmad, and the guys struggling at the plate will be used as late inning defensive replacements and pinch runners. Hard to keep the speed and defensive abilities of English and Costen off the field. Good problem for a coach to have. Now all Holbrook has to do is figure out how all the pieces go together. I'm loving the speed this team will display! It will force a lot of mistakes on their opponents!