CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
rosstheboss
3MTA3
Spurticus
Master Bedroom
WeStillOwnUSC
bigdog2003
Spurrier_Superior_On
MountainCock
Captain9Dragons
**USC vs. USC-Upstat (1728)
2001 vs Sandstorm (1281)
Cunningham wants to (699)
Purple drank (474)
Clemson Georgia Game (261)
Horseshoes has been (259)
ESPN article on Clow (230)
Fumble party (197)
1964 World’s Fair (157)
Softball tops Georgi (150)
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Acock reviews the SEC Net
Clemson Georgia Game to b
ESPN article on Clowney -
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
2001 vs Sandstorm
Cunningham wants to hear
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle

Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #181
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Why is national media pushing for Clowney to sit out a year?

I've been wondering the same thing OP. I don't remember the Charlotte Observer writing this article before Peppers junior year.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #182
SirSpur05
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
SirSpur05 has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Stephanie A Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by unccgamecock View Post
I personally like him a lot. Sharp guy and I agree with almost everything he has to say about sports, Skip is a baby though.

Just because he's our guy I think we're a little biased. It's a legitamate argument either way. But JD will play no doubt.
Disagree dude. It ain't got nothin' to do with being "biased". Any GA, UT, Clemson, etc. fans on here that can agree with me?
SirSpur05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #183
JTJGarnet
Recruit

Male

JTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his comb

Clowney has character and will want to play for the glory! This year is a chance for him to leave a mark on the college game that may never be duplicated! And even though he could be ready for the NFL, he's is more likely to be "among peers" in the NFL; right now the man is already legend and after this season he will be one of the all time greatest. You don't get a shot at legend, history, glory when you sit out or play it safe.

And another thing: Ain't nobody gonna hurt him anyway - he's coming at them; not the other way around. The writers and pundits don't get GLORY because they don't understand it, never experienced it and never will because they are irrelevant and just noise trying to find a way to insert themselves and piggy back on the greatness of another. The brass ring is Jadaveon's and he will grab it with both hands in 2013 and be a household name forever after!!!

JTJGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #184
JoshCallahan
Walk On

Male

JoshCallahan has hatched from the shell

Smith was right in his point that it is acceptable for Clowney to consider it. Whether or not I would agree with Clowney's decision is another topic. Where Smith was wrong is blaming Steve Spurrier. People forget Spurrier has already said after this season we will shake hands with Clowney and thank him for 3 years. No matter what happens this season, Spurrier is already recommending Clowney leave ASAP. If the rule was 2 years, Spurrier would likely be telling him to leave. But that's not the rule.

Spurrier thinks Clowney should play because when Spurrier recruited Clowney, he did so knowing he'd have 3 years. Either way, anybody would've still taken him. But if you start a trend where players are playing 1 or 2 years and sitting out, the standard of college football is going to follow the trend of college basketball where you don't know who plays for who anymore, the talent level is watered down, and it's going to lose a lot of what's good about the game.

College football is the only pure sport left. Every other sport has been watered down by money. The top baseball prospect leave straight from high school. The basketball guys are one and done. Nobody else cares about the other sports. Football is the only one where you know what you are getting. Pro sports are already ruined. Just this week in basketball Kevin Durant said he doesn't like shooting half court shots because it hurt his shooting % and that's what he is judged on performance wise. Goodness. Talk about playing for the love of $! Sad thing is, this is common among NBA players according to Shane Battier. How many half court shots can you take in a season at most? 50??? Who cares!

If Clowney were to do this, people will follow. At least one player a year will start sitting out. More than likely, multiple. Then you will get the case were players who have one good season will sit out...even though they are nowhere near ready for the NFL. You will see kids forfeit their college careers for NFL careers that will never take off because they were never really good enough.

This would be the end of college football as we know it. It will still exist but it would suck.

I know Clowney has said no...but the fact it's getting so much attention still scares me if people around Clowney start thinking. Either way, it's more attention for Carolina. Who would've thought we'd have a player getting this kind of talk. They will be calling the NFL Season the Jadeveon Clowney Sweepstakes for the bad teams.

Spurrier hasn't said anything wrong here. It's sad what the media is doing to sports. $ has already impacted it so hard. Now it's getting to the point where the media is telling people to stop playing with their hearts and start playing with their paychecks. It's become a profession instead of entertainment. While I can't blame the players, it's really sad for the fans. Who wants to watch these rich, stuck up, heartless morons play? When people start sitting out to make more $$, that's when I will start considering what else I should be doing with my time.
JoshCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #185
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Clowney sits in a position that no other rising junior has ever been. He is the #1 player on the board and by a wide margin. He is guaranteed to go #1, UNLESS HE GETS HURT.

I certainly want, and expect him to play this year, but for him personally, not for the team, the only thing he has is left is to win the Heisman. He will not improve his draft stock by playing this year. Yes, there are team goals, but for him personally he is the leader in the clubhouse with a 7 shot lead, why would he go back on the course?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #186
MOB49
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
MOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudly

Where was all this talk last year about Andrew Luck. Everybody knew that he was going to be the 1st overall pick, but I heard nothing about him taking the year off because he might get injured.

Also, why do college players that know they are going to be one and done sign with a college team? Why don't they just sit out the year, train, and get drafted. I heard nothing about this for Noel when he was projected as the No 1 pick.

Its sports, you need to play. And when playing there's a chance injuries will happen.
MOB49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #187
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
Clowney sits in a position that no other rising junior has ever been. He is the #1 player on the board and by a wide margin. He is guaranteed to go #1, UNLESS HE GETS HURT.
Andrew Luck was in that position about 3 years ago.
(Technically he was a rising junior)

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #188
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Who here didn't have a mini heart attach when Clowney got hit in the family jewels and went down during the outback bowl? At least until we figured out what the deal was.

I still say "the Hit" was revenge for that...

Mental note: Never hit Clowney in the balls....

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #189
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Luck took out two insurance policies for $5 mil each before his jr year.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #190
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Quote:
I agree Luck was the #1 concensus player, but not by the margin that Clowney is today. Matt Barkley was also discussed, and RGIII was in the argument at draft time.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #191
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
I think Sam Bradford was in a similar situation before that as well.

He still went number 1 after getting hurt
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #192
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:

I certainly want, and expect him to play this year, but for him personally, not for the team, the only thing he has is left is to win the Heisman. He will not improve his draft stock by playing this year. Yes, there are team goals, but for him personally he is the leader in the clubhouse with a 7 shot lead, why would he go back on the course?
Because he potentially risks exposing himself as a "Me First" Prima Donna who puts his perceived individual value over that of teammates or a system or the collective goals of a football team. Would that knock him out of the first round? Probably not. But it definitely could cost him mightily.

There is absolutely no training regimen that replicates what it means to be in an SEC-level program and playing an SEC-level schedule. If he sat out, it would be over 18 months since his actual in-game action. I don't care how much cross fit you do. You're going to lose a competitive edge. Maurice Clarett took this all the way to the Supreme Court. Let's not forget Mike Williams who was a likely-1st round pick who washed out of the league, showed back up w/ Seattle last year for a few games and was done. There is simply no replicating the "football shape" you're in when you're IN A PROGRAM.

Should Clowney be able to go? Sure. But he can't presently, and "Sitting Out" would likely do him more than good. My question: why don't they ask about McCarron? Or Manziel? Or Noel (particularly in light of him being hurt)? I get that Clowney is a unique, once in a generation talent (and transcends any of those other players), but it seems like it's just trying to fill a slow news cycle w/ a splashy name and controversy.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #193
JTJGarnet
Recruit

Male

JTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his combJTJGarnet is developing his comb

Quote:

Glad you're not Clowney. What a bunch of selfish BS!!! Only thing left to win is the Heisman?!? What about SECCG, National Title and a possible Heisman? There's no distinction between team goals and individual goals. It's 11 on 11; not 1 on 1. There's no "I" in team. Are you applying for a job at the Charlotte Observer? Bet they'd hire you.
JTJGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #194
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

He shouldn't talk football, its a disaster.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #195
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Luck took out two insurance policies for $5 mil each before his jr year.
All I was stating was it was without question Luck would have been the top pick had he left the year the Panthers had the top Pick

#LukeForMod

Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #196
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

The Heisman is there for him. He could make history. Plenty reasons to play.

Clowney is a competitor, and he couldn't go a year without destroying running backs and qbs.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #197
gocockswyn
Two Deep

Female

gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

Annnd another thing. I think Clowney is having fun playing football at Carolina (the Columbia one ) and we are having a blast watching him. Be ready for the HIT NC and the Charlotte Observer!! Here comes USC.
gocockswyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #198
gocockswyn
Two Deep

Female

gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly
Default Re: Charlotte Observer: JD Clowney should consider skipping 2013

Quote:
This guy just wants Clowney to be healthy when the Panthers can take him.
Or is a NC fan and never wants to see Clowney on the field.
gocockswyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #199
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15800
SECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to SECgamecock453

Just people writing about crap because they have nothing better to write about! IT'S THE OFF SEASON!

SECgamecock453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #200
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocockswyn View Post
Or is a NC fan and never wants to see Clowney on the field.
That would be true if there were such a thing.

But there aren't. They disappear and show up during basketball season

#LukeForMod