CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
U-Dub Gamecock
Gamecocks1137
johnnyb
Travelin
Cockhornleghorn
GamecockMomSC
2000grad
markymark550
Regalcock
We Have to Pass (2348)
Rivalry Thoughts and (1876)
Spurrier weekly pres (1543)
This would be awesom (1035)
How is Shaq Davidson (937)
Perspective on our g (633)
Currently 2nd in att (509)
SEC referees? (482)
Defense and offense (412)
Black Friday Hard Co (305)
We Have to Pass
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
**USC Women vs. Clemson G
Currently 2nd in attendan
Ced Cooper (#18) status?
Why has there been 40 yea
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
How is Shaq Davidson's re
Interesting stat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #101
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC
 
trapper82's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 4,666
CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
Nothing to get over. No big deal to me. JMO. What I'll never get over is the total ignorance of our fan base. They are on par with tater U. Thinking a rarely used facility is the difference in beating the Alabama's of football is ignorant.
http://southcarolina.247sports.com/B...lity-7571107/1

The description says it will include support facilities, storage, offices and enhanced film options of the practices. So to say this will be rarely used is speaking without an inside knowledge. For all you and I know, they may move all film study to this building, meaning everyone that studies film would be here. That would be pretty much every day.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #102
brat
1st Team All-SEC
 
brat's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lexington
Posts: 3,603
CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

We are dealing with the recruitment of kids in their mid to late teens. They are hardly known for rational thinking, at it's best.

They see great indoor facilities at other programs and seen none here, then that is probably a negative, however small, to them.

Perhaps we will never use it too much, but it could be used by other of our teams, at times.

When you have as many recruiting hurdles to overcome as we do here...small state, small population, modest football success, located between two conferences, playing in the toughest conference in the nation, etc., even the smaller things matter...indoor practice facilites, large video board (hey, we didn't need that either, did we...didn't help us win any games), improved parking, tailgating facilites, landscaping, the Dodie, improved weight room, improved locker room, improved medical facilities, sprucing up and painting the inside of W-B and added school records in easy to see locations, right down to our baseball, softball, tennis and basketball digs.

It is keeping up with the rest of the SEC and Clempson and UNC and all others we recruit against and play. Part of it is that if you want to be a winner, you practice like a winner, you train like a winner, you think like a winner, you act like a winner, you play like a winner. You want recruits to think "1st Class" when they think of our fans, our program, our coaches, our sports facilities, and our educational opportunities. We have been in the SEC plenty long enough to know that if you sit still, you fall behind. Sometimes when you keep moving forward, you still fall behind some programs, in some areas, because their improvements tops ours.

It is like a small rock added to a pile of other rocks. On its own, it moght not seem like much, but when you see a large amount assembled, it becomes more impressive and that is how you help recruit more of the top student-athletes. Relationships with coaches and other players go far. Top of the line facilities and those other things go further. Is it a make or break deal? Maybe not, but if we are the only ones without one, we stick out like a sore thumb and recruits notice it or are told by other schools. It plants that little seed of doubt in the minds of impressionable young recruits. If they don't have this practice facility, what else do they not have or what else are they scrimping on? You need to act from the position of strength.

When Paul Dietzel first came here, he said the only thing he had to show recruits was to take them on top of the Capstone to see Columbia. Both he and all the coaches since then have known where we stack up against other programs and the competition is never ending. This is just the next in line.
__________________
"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Lavant
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #103
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC
 
JAYBEZ's Avatar
 
Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fort Mill
Posts: 4,479
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
Nothing to get over. No big deal to me. JMO. What I'll never get over is the total ignorance of our fan base. They are on par with tater U. Thinking a rarely used facility is the difference in beating the Alabama's of football is ignorant.
Thinking the facility is rarely used is a bit ignorant on your part. All our programs use the indoor practice fields. Everyone from soccer to even the cheerleaders. It isn't just football recruiting that will see an impact.

It will get its use.
__________________
JAYBEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #104
Tailfeathers
Starter
 
Tailfeathers's Avatar
 


Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,297
CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
http://southcarolina.247sports.com/B...lity-7571107/1

The description says it will include support facilities, storage, offices and enhanced film options of the practices. So to say this will be rarely used is speaking without an inside knowledge. For all you and I know, they may move all film study to this building, meaning everyone that studies film would be here. That would be pretty much every day.
In the context of this thread yes it will rarely be used for recruiting and football practices. Are recruits young and impressionable, sure, but we are not losing recruits to Alabama and Florida due to a lack of an upgraded practice facility. What would be more impressive would be to beat LSU and Florida on the road. An upgraded indoor facility IMO just won't help that fact.

I already stated in this thread the only reason to build one is to keep up with the joneses. I do not believe it will increase our win total though. We will win the same number with or without one. JMHO.

Anyone who thinks it will add to our win total please say so. Time will tell.
__________________
Tailfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #105
Tailfeathers
Starter
 
Tailfeathers's Avatar
 


Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,297
CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
There will always be a need to keep up with someone else and some excuse for why one thing is more important than another. For all the talk about an indoor practice facility being a recruiting boost remember the area around the stadium is constantly used by other schools in negative recruiting.

I am constantly chastised by tater fans about our concrete jungle and shacks around the stadium.
__________________
Tailfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #106
FloydTheBarber
Banned
 
FloydTheBarber's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Irmo
Posts: 4,939
CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
So, Hyman was ignorant, Tanner is ignorant, and so is the rest of the fanbase...you're the only one that has it all figured out, is that it?

Because you must think that- since the practice facility is next in terms of priority according to the USC facilities master plan.
Tailfeathers?
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #107
Tailfeathers
Starter
 
Tailfeathers's Avatar
 


Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,297
CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
So, Hyman was ignorant, Tanner is ignorant, and so is the rest of the fanbase...you're the only one that has it all figured out, is that it?

Because you must think that- since the practice facility is next in terms of priority according to the USC facilities master plan.

I thought you were just ignorant, but dumb is more appropriate. It's way down on the list for a reason. Hyman put it off because it wasn't critical. We are still a couple years away while they just finished the Rice Athletic Center, which IMO is better spent money (8.5 million) than indoor practice facility. They are also finishing the girls softball stadium, which is HIGHER on the list as well.
__________________
Tailfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #108
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC
 
trapper82's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 4,666
CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
I thought you were just ignorant, but dumb is more appropriate. It's way down on the list for a reason. Hyman put it off because it wasn't critical. We are still a couple years away while they just finished the Rice Athletic Center, which IMO is better spent money (8.5 million) than indoor practice facility. They are also finishing the girls softball stadium, which is HIGHER on the list as well.
Its higher on the list partially because of Title 9. You can't funnel all the money to the guys and not have a lawsuit.

The context of the thread is simply facilities, and if they build it they are planning on using it, a lot. Recruiting is only part of the plan, as I just showed you it won't be sitting there.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #109
FloydTheBarber
Banned
 
FloydTheBarber's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Irmo
Posts: 4,939
CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
I thought you were just ignorant, but dumb is more appropriate. It's way down on the list for a reason. Hyman put it off because it wasn't critical. We are still a couple years away while they just finished the Rice Athletic Center, which IMO is better spent money (8.5 million) than indoor practice facility. They are also finishing the girls softball stadium, which is HIGHER on the list as well.
Of all athletics construction not yet started, a new practice facility is next on the list, do you deny that? The master plan has been linked to several times.

And I think this thread is specific to football construction, right?

So, no- you are wrong...a new practice facility is next up.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #110
Dizzy01
Game MVP
 
Dizzy01's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,622
CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
I am constantly chastised by tater fans about our concrete jungle and shacks around the stadium.
That was part of their "recruiting packet" that made the rounds a couple years ago. This is also used by a lot of other SEC schools as part of their "negative recruiting". I know the current plans won't completely change that but it will go a long way.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #111
thebigspur33
4-Star
 
thebigspur33's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charleston
Posts: 375
CockyCash: 500
thebigspur33 is learning to peck
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

as much as i hate clemson i will say they have a much better tailgate set up with much more areas to do it and it is much prettier and greener. wish we could do something similar to theirs
thebigspur33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #112
gamecockox
Walk On
 
gamecockox's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: wake forest nc
Posts: 35
CockyCash: 500
gamecockox has feathers coming ingamecockox has feathers coming ingamecockox has feathers coming in
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigspur33 View Post
as much as i hate clemson i will say they have a much better tailgate set up with much more areas to do it and it is much prettier and greener. wish we could do something similar to theirs
If we really want to add to the game day experience for our fans, visitors and recruits, we need to duplicate Gamecock park in other areas surrounding Williams Brice - We should buy up as much property around Williams Brice as possible and convert them into green space parking areas just like we did to the old farmers market property. For instance, we should purchase all the property between Idlewilde, Market, Key and Bluff. We then could install Brick walls, iron gating, side walks, lamp posts, and restroom facilities just like gamecock park. Maybe a deal could be struck to build the national guard a new facility somewhere else so we convert that property into green space as well. i have often wondered if bluff road could be reconfigured to connect to assembly at the present intersection of shop and have George Rogers Blvd be a giant loop around the stadium that would connect to bluff in two places. Moving the road and acquiring right away might be a way of addressing some of the industrial blight and would also help promote the bluff/ assembly corridor as a gateway into the city. I know a lot of this sounds like "pie -in the sky" but the stadium area and its industrial appearance is a large drawback for us, if we really want to compete in the facility arms race, this is an area we can not overlook!
gamecockox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #113
rolinb1
Game MVP
 
rolinb1's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 135 Miles From W B
Posts: 1,744
CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
How are the locker rooms at Williams Brice?

Do the players get ready for the game there?




__________________
rolinb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #114
cockyness11
Banned
 
cockyness11's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: irmo south carolina
Posts: 521
CockyCash: 500
cockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Facilities improvements (football)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
This was the 5th showcase. Players and their families tour the facilities, learn more about the academics, meet with position coaches, and workout for @2 hours. Stormy weather isn't a probably. They are inside most of the day.

I sort of agree with you about how there are other things that needs addressing, some more important than others.. I also agree that the fans are a big piece of where this program is headed and that we deserve some luxuries for all the years of loyalty we have shown... I mean look at the debt ratio Tennessee has accumulated the past couple of years because they have lost a portion of their fan base.. No offense Eric!!! Although I do agree with those points you have made, I do believe the team should come first and foremost because without a team, there would be no fans... I was up at the Showcase this past year and there isn't a worst feeling then too see all these athletes we are trying to impress, all on their phones or tablets (possibly talking to other schools ) because they are bored because it is raining... The Showcase is used as a recruiting tool, but I feel the main reason we hold it is for the coaches to evaluate these young men and seeing if they would be a good fit for this program.. Unlike other programs, we don't recruit stars, we recruit players that fit our program as well as raw natural talent... Our coaches are confident in themselves to coach them up if need be... What is the point of having a 5 star run stopping MLB if you already have 8 MLB who are all well coached and understand the system better... It is all fine and dandy that these kids got to experience 60% of what the showcase had to offer such as seeing the facilities etc etc, but that last 40% is crucial for not only them but for the coaches as well..These recruits love working out in front of the coaches and that never happened because we did not have an accessible indoor facility..So if you think about it, the one major benefit the coaches have for throwing the showcase didn't happen... How would you feel as a coach, who put all this time and effort to throw this event, and you don't even get the chance to fully take advantage of the main reason why you set it up in the first place. I know we have an indoor facility, but during that particular day, track and field was using it so they couldn't take the recruits over there to workout... I do think alot of coaches around the country want certain facilities because other schools have them and it turns into a pissing contest from there... IMO I don't think Spurrier is one of them coaches though.. I think he is for it because he feels it will be useful... Maybe not used alot, but def beneficial to have when you actually need it...

Last edited by cockyness11; 03-02-2013 at 04:15 PM.
cockyness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development