CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
Thenardier
SanAntonioCock
MACXIMVS
Bobby Boucher
rdwylie
b381l
spareparts
Spurticus
uscgamecocks88
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (8482)
Sindarius Thornwell (923)
Chicago ND fan/SEC b (610)
Best Child Acting Pe (573)
Well gameday just go (465)
Happy Birthday, Coac (415)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (378)
Your most famous twi (279)
South Carolina @ Aub (243)
Unsung Hero (233)
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
Burger Kings angry whoppe
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #3
Connor Mitch
Name a Gamecock
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Hope Springs Eternal
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Happy Birthday, Coach Spu

Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #41
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Thoughts on the basketball team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
Its difficult to support a coach that treats his players the way he does in the media and during games.
He doesn't do it so much in the media, but Coach K treats his players in the same manner as Coach Martin during games and practices.

Everyone wants to bash Martin for it, yet everyone gets in line to kiss K's ass and they act the same exact way.

I'd bet that more coaches than not act this way, but they don't all choose to air it out in the media like Martin did. Maybe it wasn't the best place to do it, but it sure hadn't been working the rest of the year.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #42
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

I will chime in here. Was not a fan of the FM hire. Reason being he has never had to build a program. At KState he was handed the keys to a program off the ground and running. Now he can recruit, but it really has yet to be seen if he can develop talent. So far in year 1 he has won a few more games that Horn and that is a start.

On another note, I do not get to watch the games much up here but I am really disappointed that Lenoard has not become a player, Hopes where high for him. And Watching Galloway play great at LaSalle really pisses me off.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #43
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
I think you and I are the only two here that understand and appreciate this concept. Most of your typical bozo fans associate tantrums, screaming, making fun of players, and belittling with "good" coaching. If you ain't screaming, or throwing chairs, or calling out your team publically, or yelling at refs you must be a puss. Lol
This isn't church league ball. If you're concerned about our players feelings being hurt then you shouldn't follow or be involved with competitive sports. I am perfectly fine with CFM calling out his players if they are under performing and not playing with heart. If he won't do it them who will? They need a fire lot under their asses to try and get them fired up (no pun intended). If they can't handle it then they don't deserve to go to play SEC basketball, let alone attend college for FREE.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #44
CardiacKemba
Banned

Male

CardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
He doesn't do it so much in the media, but Coach K treats his players in the same manner as Coach Martin during games and practices.

Everyone wants to bash Martin for it, yet everyone gets in line to kiss K's ass and they act the same exact way.

I'd bet that more coaches than not act this way, but they don't all choose to air it out in the media like Martin did. Maybe it wasn't the best place to do it, but it sure hadn't been working the rest of the year.
I've have never seen Coach K cover his face with his hand for 75% of the game. Or throw out F bombs and scream F*** you! at players and shout at his players like a 5 year old on a temper tantrum. Not sure what Coach K you're talking about...
CardiacKemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #45
CardiacKemba
Banned

Male

CardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervousCardiacKemba is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypanther View Post
This isn't church league ball. If you're concerned about our players feelings being hurt then you shouldn't follow or be involved with competitive sports. I am perfectly fine with CFM calling out his players if they are under performing and not playing with heart. If he won't do it them who will? They need a fire lot under their asses to try and get them fired up (no pun intended). If they can't handle it then they don't deserve to go to play SEC basketball, let alone attend college for FREE.
Where was this attitude last year? All the fans were trashing on Horn for "throwing players under the bus". That was literally one of the main reasons people hated Horn last year. Now Martin takes it to a whole new level and now it is good coaching? The hypocrisy is strong with this fanbase.
CardiacKemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #46
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacKemba View Post
I've have never seen Coach K cover his face with his hand for 75% of the game. Or throw out F bombs and scream F*** you! at players and shout at his players like a 5 year old on a temper tantrum. Not sure what Coach K you're talking about...
He may not cover his face like Martin, but if you don't think he drops f bombs to his players and anyone around him then I don't think you've really paid attention to Coach K. Also, if you've never seen him throw a temper tantrum I don't think you've ever really watched him in a huddle.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #47
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Where was this attitude last year? All the fans were trashing on Horn for "throwing players under the bus". That was literally one of the main reasons people hated Horn last year. Now Martin takes it to a whole new level and now it is good coaching? The hypocrisy is strong with this fanbase.
Horn had 0 passion. You could tell from his coaching style and body language that he mailed it in. Horn didn't have a fraction of the fight and passion that FM has... That's the difference. No hypocrisy.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #48
CWall2001
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 10048227
CWall2001 is crowing loudlyCWall2001 is crowing loudlyCWall2001 is crowing loudlyCWall2001 is crowing loudlyCWall2001 is crowing loudlyCWall2001 is crowing loudlyCWall2001 is crowing loudlyCWall2001 is crowing loudlyCWall2001 is crowing loudlyCWall2001 is crowing loudlyCWall2001 is crowing loudly

Carrera will be great. He is still out of control a lot of times, but has more want to than anyone on the team.

Bruce is a leader, I think what a lot of people see as "Bruce running out of control and trying to hard" is just that, trying...trying to do anything to help, usually it's too much and back-fires.

Brian Richardson - I like him. He's come a LOOOOONG way this season.

Kacinas is a freshmen too right? I think he could be really good for us over the next couple of years.

Chatkevicious or whatever looks out of shape to me. I can't stand to watch him play, but man he is big. I wonder how much better he can be next season.

Other than those, and maybe (maybe) Eric Smith, I am not sure if any of the others are the answer to our problems right now.
CWall2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #49
Todd803
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 702
Todd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Little different to throw the players under the bus that you scouted, recruited and signed. Not saying either is right, but that is apples to oranges.

While he didn't have as many public tirades, the things that Coach Martin continues to say sound VERY similar to what Coach Spurrier said his first year here. SOS repeated often that we have 20-30 kids who didn't care about the team or winning and then he didn't renew their scholarships. He also stated until those kids were GONE we would not compete for the SEC. I agreed with that and it now shows.

My question is, would you consider Spurrier a bad coach for not renewing scholarships of kids who didn't care about the team or playing, but just wanted to go to school for free? I paid to go to USC and that is insulting to me and should be to all college students.

If you want success, you must demand greatness. If you want the NIT, then get players who want to be told they are great all the time without working.
Todd803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #50
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

When the current recruiting class comes in they will be the best players on the team. If having high expectations of your players is embarrassing then Martin is an embarrassment . otherwise I'm happy to have someone who cares. This year we could probably be better if Martin didn't stick to his system whether the personal fit his system or not. He is playing for 2 years from now and is willing to have less success in the short term. If it is too painful to watch, don't. I will be tuning back in next year to see what the new class can do. I had no expectations this year and that is what we have gotten. I'm OK with it. If Frank yelling at players is embarrassing then you must not think that it would be good to have Duke's program or Louisville's or Florida's or.... insert name. This is big boy time. Time to quit crying and start working.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #51
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. Not so much because I expect the team to win many of the remaining games, but in order to see who can make a shot. Who can rebound the ball well. Who can play some defense. Next year's team will look a lot different, even if we don't sign anyone else in the spring. More of the players will be Martin's recruits, and the players who return from this team will have had more time to adapt to what our coaches want from them. The team next year will be bigger too.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #52
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I've also been wondering if the training regimen during the season is weeding out some of these kids and/or messing with their games some. I'm under the impression that the team didn't do much weight lifting during the year under Horn whereas they are still lifting during the year under Martin.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem

Last edited by CoverTwo; 02-20-2013 at 03:36 PM.
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #53
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
Its difficult to support a coach that treats his players the way he does in the media and during games.
You probably don't remember Lou Holtz. Or you're one of the player's mommas..
I'm sick of all this politically correct, don't hurt anyone's feelings attitude the world has now
Old 02-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #54
Coop2Cocky
Walk On

Male

Coop2Cocky has hatched from the shell

I think Coach Frank is EXACTLY what we needed. You can't change a losing culture in year one. Look at Coach Staley's first year. Wasn't very pretty. But if she wasn't an intense coach like she is, I don't think we would have a top 15 program right now. Also, players made it clear that the HBC wasn't very friendly when he first got here. He didn't start joking around with them until after we started WINNING! If he came in here playing nice, I don't think we would have a football team coming off of back to back 11-2 seasons!
As far as the players go, I agree that Kacinas and Laimonas will be better next year. Carrera is going to be a player next year, when you have a legit scorer like Thornwell on the floor with him. I agree that most players seem to have mentally checked out. But that's ok. They can move on to another school. We need more players with the heart of Bruce and Carrera. B-Rich is a much better player than he was last year. I believe he will improve even more next year.
I realize it's the nature of the business to critique coaches. But if you don't like the type of coach Frank Martin is...Go watch golf or equestrian or something!
Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #55
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. Not so much because I expect the team to win many of the remaining games, but in order to see who can make a shot. Who can rebound the ball well. Who can play some defense. Next year's team will look a lot different, even if we don't sign anyone else in the spring. More of the players will be Martin's recruits, and the players who return from this team will have had more time to adapt to what our coaches want from them. The team next year will be bigger too.
I'm looking forward to see who wants to be here, who wants to keep getting better, and who is just here enjoying a free education.
A lot will be shown these last few games, and by season's end, we will know who is coming back and who is leaving.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #56
USCooper
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
USCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCock View Post
You probably don't remember Lou Holtz. Or you're one of the player's mommas..
I'm sick of all this politically correct, don't hurt anyone's feelings attitude the world has now
Quoted for truth
USCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #57
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

coming off of the horrible game we played against lsu i was happy to see us fight against bama. tonight will let us all know where we stand.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #58
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudly

Its interesting how fanatics take on the persona of a coach (at least on the internet anyway).
Mt. Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #59
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

Well then..
Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #60
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Coach's rant was needed.... The team showed no effort since the Florida game... It's obviously got their attention...

And Coach K cusses like a sailor... I've sat behind the bench during a Duke game in the NCAA Regionals....