CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
U-Dub Gamecock
Outland
A. Pilgrim
gadeneer1986
doubledribble
B-G
Latt7more
Lonnie
Why is everyone anti (2028)
How did we not make (1149)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Just thought of some (1028)
Miss St. defense (941)
Busta out indefinite (878)
SOS says his next st (764)
Let us clarify some (740)
Is Clowney back toni (665)
Our Road Upset Wins (506)
Why is everyone anticipat
Our Road Upset Wins
Lattimore to play after S
Busta out indefinitely.
No easy road for our offe
SEC Football Legend: Shel
Miss St. defense
Media tabs South Carolina
Seventh Woods (2016 Prosp
To ANYONE complaining abo

Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #41
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material
Default Re: Robberies on Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
You didn't say preparation, you said survivng the real world. Maybe a part of it is preparation, but not the whole, but then again, so is a part-time job
i don't think the answer is to put up more artificial barriers that do not exist in the real world. i do not think that would prepare adults for surviving the real world.

children are already coddled more than they should be...why coddle them more when they are legally adults? instead, put actual safeguards in place.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #42
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
thats how it was at my dorm freshman year- separate for each gender.

still stands to reason that curfews, if intended to limit rape and other types of assault, would be diminished if the dorms are already coed, even by floor. security is at the front desk, not at each floor.
It would be an interesting stat to see where these guys are coming from that are raping girls on campus.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #43
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
i don't think the answer is to put up more artificial barriers that do not exist in the real world. i do not think that would prepare adults for surviving the real world.

children are already coddled more than they should be...why coddle them more when they are legally adults? instead, put actual safeguards in place.
Curfews and such aren't artificial. We have time constraints in the real world all the time. Surviving the real world seems to be able to work within the parameters of it and for each person, those parameters are not the same.

I don't see this as coddling. I don't equate coddling with protection

Old 02-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #44
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Curfews and such aren't artificial. We have time constraints in the real world all the time. Surviving the real world seems to be able to work within the parameters of it and for each person, those parameters are not the same.

I don't see this as coddling. I don't equate coddling with protection
What time constraints do we have in the real world?

I can leave my house at 3am and go wherever I'd like...so long as I am not trespassing onto private property.

University grounds are not considered private property to students.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #45
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
No one is blaming her, but I remember one of the first things drilled into my head by my parents when in HS, and then leaders at USC when I enrolled was NOT to walk around at night alone, regardless of the time of night. In all honestly, a woman alone at night is an easy target.

Exactly what I'm saying. I dont know if they talk about it in U 101 because I didn't take it, but they should drill that in every college freshman's head. A girl walking alone down blossom near 'rape park' after midnight is a recipe for disaster. Police have to do their part by deterring these crimes but students have to do their part by not putting themselves in that risky of a situation. Walk in groups.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #46
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Exactly what I'm saying. I dont know if they talk about it in U 101 because I didn't take it, but they should drill that in every college freshman's head. A girl walking alone down blossom near 'rape park' after midnight is a recipe for disaster. Police have to do their part by deterring these crimes but students have to do their part by not putting themselves in that risky of a situation. Walk in groups.
You didn't have to take u101? Those bastards made me take it as a senior transfer student. M,W,F 8am. Still hold resentment over that. Go to school full time and work full time and that was a waste of valuable time
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #47
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
You didn't have to take u101? Those bastards made me take it as a senior transfer student. M,W,F 8am. Still hold resentment over that. Go to school full time and work full time and that was a waste of valuable time
You absolutely don't have to take it. They pushed it so heavily when I started there. There was no way I was going to take that absolute waste of time class. Talk about a waste of money.

davidmc467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #48
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

Quote:
True, but if I am not mistaken, there are separate floors for the genders, correct? It might be different now
My floor is co ed. Every floor of Capstone, Columbia, Honors is co ed.
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #49
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
What time constraints do we have in the real world?

I can leave my house at 3am and go wherever I'd like...so long as I am not trespassing onto private property.

University grounds are not considered private property to students.
|I was thinking more along the lines of jobs...deadlines and such...including paying bills, etc. It is not exactly the same.

Now, it can be compared with responsibility....

Old 02-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #50
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
|I was thinking more along the lines of jobs...deadlines and such...including paying bills, etc. It is not exactly the same.

Now, it can be compared with responsibility....
well, college students still have the responsibility of deadlines, paying bills on time, etc...i know i did, even without curfews.

if anything, not having a curfew puts the onus on the student to 'enjoy the nightlife' responsibly while still making their deadlines and payment dates, just as is the case in the real world.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #51
uscsaxplaya
WACCO FOR FLACCO!!!

Male

uscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talons

What's being missed here is that fact that it took eight to nine hours to get the alert out! I'm sorry but that's unacceptable, and this is not the first time something like this has happened in the past semester and a half.
The incident took place between "midnight and 1 a.m." Everyone in my chapter meeting received the message at 9:30 p.m. Not only did that cause a stir in the room but my phone started blowing up because people's parents got concerned.
The University wanted to implement a system that will alert everyone that is a student, faculty and staff member that some incident has occurred and in a timely manner. Eight hours is not a timely manner!

Go Cocks!
uscsaxplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #52
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Coed dorms are campus are mostly mixed, males and females on the same hall. I believe the only exception to that is South Tower, where males are on the top floors. That's how it was last year. My freshman year in Cola Hall there were mostly males on the hall with the girls rooms in the corner suites of each floor.

Also there are currently rules as to when you can have the opposite sex over. 3 years ago when I was a freshman, you could sign in a member of the opposite sex but they had to be out by 2am on school nights (maybe midnight, not sure) but they could stay overnight on weekends. Obviously there were ways around it in coed dorms. I signed girls in for my male friends on the hall all the time. Each floor voted to pass unlimited visitation hours at the beginning of the spring semesters. So there is some regulation there and not just a free for all. The quads might be different though, I never lived there.

But all this doesn't matter really, I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that the rapist was not a student.
ktguen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #53
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsaxplaya View Post
What's being missed here is that fact that it took eight to nine hours to get the alert out! I'm sorry but that's unacceptable, and this is not the first time something like this has happened in the past semester and a half.
The incident took place between "midnight and 1 a.m." Everyone in my chapter meeting received the message at 9:30 p.m. Not only did that cause a stir in the room but my phone started blowing up because people's parents got concerned.
The University wanted to implement a system that will alert everyone that is a student, faculty and staff member that some incident has occurred and in a timely manner. Eight hours is not a timely manner!
8 to 9 hours? Try 21 to 22. It's pathetic. I get that they might not have had all the details to release it that night but the following morning we ABSOLUTELY should have been warned....not 9:30 that night.

Edited: Email just sent from President Pastides

Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #54
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
well, college students still have the responsibility of deadlines, paying bills on time, etc...i know i did, even without curfews.

if anything, not having a curfew puts the onus on the student to 'enjoy the nightlife' responsibly while still making their deadlines and payment dates, just as is the case in the real world.
I'm not talking about enjoying the nightlife, I'm talking about making the campus safer

Old 02-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #55
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
I disagree. Not everyone rises to the same level of responsibility or maturity when it comes to time management and other important issues when they are 18 years old
But they still got to learn to sink or swim on their own, my parents are great, but once I got out from home, though I didn't go crazy and start binging, I neglected studies a great deal, I had to learn to keep myself disciplined and value my own success. For all ways of taking care of yourself, additional sheltering for people we expect to be adults doesn't solve the problem, however the University has obviously accepted the expected duty to provide a safe campus through a police force, now they need to provide real security rather than the illusion of it. Beyond that, I also don't think the problem being within the dorms, justifies more restrictions there in. Dorms can be dangerous, so maybe they can monitor visitors and keep track of comings and goings to maintain safety through deterrence and threat of consequence. The measures you propose don't curb these sort of cases, and a curfew should be a last resort.

Last edited by JoeMorrisonLives; 02-20-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #56
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
But they still got to learn to sink or swim on their own, my parents are great, but once I got out from home, though I didn't go crazy and start binging, I neglected studies a great deal, I had to learn to keep myself disciplined and value my own success. For all ways of taking care of yourself, additional sheltering for people we expect to be adults doesn't solve the problem, however the University has obviously accepted the expected duty to provide a safe campus through a police force, now they need to provide real security rather than the illusion of it. Beyond that, I also don't think the problem being within the dorms, justifies more restrictions there in. Dorms can be dangerous, so maybe they can monitor visitors and keep track of comings and goings to maintain safety through deterrence and threat of consequence. The measures you propose don't curb these sort of cases, and a curfew should be a last resort.
Do you have proof that they do not? Again, this is about safety...nothing more.

Also, I agree that not everyone was as mature as you.

Sheltering is not what I am talking about. That is a label you have tried to put on it. Sheltering would be not allowing anything to happen. That is not what I am suggesting.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #57
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Come to Francis Marion University, you will see a police presence all over the place. Those guys are rocking and rolling.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #58
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
I'm not talking about enjoying the nightlife, I'm talking about making the campus safer
Such measures would be restricting the freedoms of adults.

Dorm curfews? These people aren't in summer camp. They're adults.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #59
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
They are not horrible ideas, you just don't like them and that is fine. I already predicted that people wouldn't like them
I'm sorry, but they are horrible ideas. You get the desired result of students safe in their dorm, but at a huge cost. I NEVER would have gone to USC with those kinds of rules in place. It's not a k-12 boarding school. It's college, with adults attending.

Quote:
Security cameras would be a great addition.

AS far as being at school at 4 AM...not sure how to address that
I'm pretty sure I had the right to complete my schoolwork on whatever timeline I saw fit. I don't think you really need to address anything.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #60
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Yeaaaah, if I paid as much as I do for them to tell me I had to be in my room at a certain time I would seriously rethink my school choice.

There is already a free night shuttle that you can call after hours that picks you up from anywhere on campus and take you anywhere else on campus. Issue is it doesn't take you to the off campus apartments where a lot of students live. So the danger there lies in walking to their car.

I only have a few more months here but I'm going to definitely rethink some of the things I do. I've always considered myself to be a safe person but I will be traveling around at night in large groups now. There isn't always strength in numbers but it can't hurt.