CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
Spurticus
GH
Gamecocks1137
75CarolinaFan
JoeMorrisonLives
Rooster'srule
johnnyb
garnet_black215
Welcome to Moe's (629)
Jay Paterno Attempts (578)
help with army insig (266)
Hercules - review (263)
I'm a grand godfathe (144)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (58)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (55)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (38)
George Miller revisi (38)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (23)
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
2015 - Auden Tate
2015 Commitment - Paris P
2015 - Albert Huggins
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE Texa
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 - Davon Durant
Help Give Cocky a Home
Official WWE Thread
2015 - Mon Denson

Old 02-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons
Default 2024 Olympics

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...tial-2024-bid/

35 US cities got letters about hosting the Olympics. While I am very sure that it won't happen, but I'd love for Charlotte to host as its so close. However, I doubt they will. The NFL has even said that they don't think Charlotte is ready for the Super bowl.

I hope it returns to the United States. I'll be fine with any US city. I think it'd be great to have another Olympics.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2024 Olympics

Atlanta was great and they could do it but I doubt they would come back again so soon.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Chicago or NY probably.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Didn't Chicago bid a few years back?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Ah, now I know where #MemphisOlympiad came from.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
Yea 2016 didn't win though.
Doesn't mean they can't again bid again.

I don't know if we're going to see an Olympics for some time though.

#LukeForMod

Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Chicago made the top 4 in the bid for the 2016 games, which were given to Rio.

Just read online that the "early top candidate" (no idea what that means) is Istanbul, Turkey.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
CarolinaBand
MiLB

Male

CockyCash: 1575
CarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyle41386 View Post
Ah, now I know where #MemphisOlympiad came from.
Why yes, that is a rack of ribs in a manila envelope
Old 02-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Chicago or NY probably.
I remember a poll showing an overwhelming people in Chicago didnt even want it.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
I remember a poll showing an overwhelming people in Chicago didnt even want it.
I don't think we're going to see it in the US anytime soon.
I certainly wouldn't want it in Charlotte.

#LukeForMod

Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
mater
Class of '02

Male

CockyCash: 100380
mater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot material

Charlotte would be awesome.....Dallas as well.

"When a suitcase just won't do."
mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Personally, of any of the US cities, I'd like to see...

Dallas
Nashville
Denver
Las Vegas

in no particular order
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
CaptainCock91
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 495
CaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot material

I heard candidates for 2024 were Dallas, Los Angeles, and Baltimore/Washington.

The Chicago bid was a terrible idea. Maybe I shouldn't say it on this forum, but I feel it was just a campaign stunt by a certain American politician from Chicago.

In addition, some cities, including Portland, Denver, and Salt Lake City are considering Winter Olympic bids for 2022 or 2026, but it looks like USOC will focus on a Summer 2024 bid instead.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

The website says ATL got a letter, but i've also heard that the olympics were very disappointing in Atlanta.

Just about everyone knows about the bomb in the park, but I heard that it was very commercialized. A little too much.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
RoyalAir
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
RoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudly

Quote:
The website says ATL got a letter, but i've also heard that the olympics were very disappointing in Atlanta.

Just about everyone knows about the bomb in the park, but I heard that it was very commercialized. A little too much.
The Atlanta Olympics got grief because Delta, Home Depot, and Coca-Cola really, really, really wanted to show off their hometown and sponsored everything that would sit still long enough for them to slap a logo on it. Looking back at it, the commercialization of the Atlanta Olympics was just a part of the zeitgeist of the 90s economic boom, and not something that I think is likely to repeat. All of that said, the Atlanta Olympic Games didn't bankrupt the city, the infrastructure improvements are still in place ( and have been handled really rather well, from the renovation of Olympic Stadium into Turner Field, or from the Olympic Village becoming new dorms for Georgia Tech, or the revitalization of a rough part of town with the Centennial Park), and the Games actually made a fortune for the region. Montreal, London, and Athens certainly can't say that. There have been a slew of economists that have argued that the origination of the Greek debt crisis was in preparations for the 2004 Games.

There has been some excited talk locally about a bid for Nashville to host the games, but as great of a town as it is, Nashville simply doesn't have the infrastructure in place to host. It's awfully difficult to completely build a rail-based public transit system in six years.

As far as I'm concerned, the US should forget about hosting the Summer games. They're expensive, and nearly impossible to do right.
RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
Personally, of any of the US cities, I'd like to see...

Dallas
Nashville
Denver
Las Vegas

in no particular order
Vegas or Denver would be tight.

Follow Gamecockology on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
MisterClowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #17
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
The Atlanta Olympics got grief because Delta, Home Depot, and Coca-Cola really, really, really wanted to show off their hometown and sponsored everything that would sit still long enough for them to slap a logo on it. Looking back at it, the commercialization of the Atlanta Olympics was just a part of the zeitgeist of the 90s economic boom, and not something that I think is likely to repeat. All of that said, the Atlanta Olympic Games didn't bankrupt the city, the infrastructure improvements are still in place ( and have been handled really rather well, from the renovation of Olympic Stadium into Turner Field, or from the Olympic Village becoming new dorms for Georgia Tech, or the revitalization of a rough part of town with the Centennial Park), and the Games actually made a fortune for the region. Montreal, London, and Athens certainly can't say that. There have been a slew of economists that have argued that the origination of the Greek debt crisis was in preparations for the 2004 Games.

There has been some excited talk locally about a bid for Nashville to host the games, but as great of a town as it is, Nashville simply doesn't have the infrastructure in place to host. It's awfully difficult to completely build a rail-based public transit system in six years.

As far as I'm concerned, the US should forget about hosting the Summer games. They're expensive, and nearly impossible to do right.
The IOC has gone on record as saying that the Atlanta Olympics were the worst ever on record.

Atlanta is NOT a city that's ideal for hosting such an event. Yes, Turner Field and the Tech dorms that came out of it are good, but everything else in Atlanta from the games sucks and is run down.

I agree that nowadays it is FAR more expensive to host such events due to the required costs of building the infrastructure but it can be done. The reason you saw Delta, Home Depot and Coca Cola on everything in Atlanta was because they basically funded the costs.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Salt Lake is going to make a run at the 2024 summer Olympics. The summer time climate here is excellent, and we have access here to all types of facilities that could be used for the games.

There's consensus among the Olympic folks that the SL Winter Olympics were the best winter Olympic games ever done. In 2002, SLC proved that it could provide lodging for the numbers of folks that it takes to not only host an olympics but get the folks in and out of the city in a orderly fashion. Since then, the city has constructed a light rail system that runs between the airport and connects to most of the metro area (including a heavy commuter rail system).

One very smart thing SLOC did when they were fundraising for the 2002 games is they established trusts and endowments to maintain the Olympic venues that were constructed for those games. As a result, we've been able to host events for non olympic competition and have provided US athletes training facilities in perpetuity. This is in stark contrast to the facilities at Lake Placid, when are virtually non-existent today.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

I dont want any Olympics in the United States. The cost's are just too high.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
I dont want any Olympics in the United States. The cost's are just too high.
We all know that there's no such thing as "too expensive" in the US these days ;)
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote