CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Other Gamecock Sports

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
SAETerrier
HelleraisingCock
roosterdude21
JerseyBird
Cockhornleghorn
GamecockStud
bigdog2003
Larenz Bryant update (1592)
Joeckel Transfering (909)
Victor Hampton Arres (675)
UK's Whitlow to tran (652)
2016 - Greg Little (612)
response from charte (460)
What type of snake i (441)
Wu Tang affiliated r (383)
13 Vintage Internet (233)
Attendance next seas (172)
2015 - Clelin Ferrell
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
2015 Commitment - Shameik
A'ja Wilson
2016 - Greg Little
Playstation 4
Softball takes 2 of 3 at
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Attendance next season
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso

Old 02-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #101
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit
Default Re: things are looking good for the future of USC softball

Oh haha my bad. I didn't know that lost to Florida A&M.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #102
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit

I can't listen to the game, apparently they are having audio troubles.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #103
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudly

I'm just checking live stats , but I've got to head out to baseball pretty soon . So far we're stinking it up today trailing 3-0 in the third . Sarratt has already relieved Marks .
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #104
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

Lost 9-6

Hawkins had a two run shot and Garcia had her 5th triple on the year.

Complete recap here:
http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sport...021713aaa.html
Old 02-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #105
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107378315064
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Terrible weekend for us
Old 02-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #106
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

That it was.

Hopefully the girls will rebound next week and get back on track.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #107
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

scfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudlyscfastpitch is crowing loudly

Pitching has to get better or it will be another dismal season , and you may start to hear some call for Beverly Smith to be fired . This is her third year and at some point there has to be some improvement in the won-loss record . The Kentucky coach was able to build that program up BEFORE they got their new facility . They move into a 9 million dollar facility this season and are hosting the SEC tournament . I would love to host the SEC tournament, but I wouldn't want to host it if we're not likely to be in it .
I like this coaching staff and I'm pulling for them hard . I think they will get at least one more season regardless . But once we are moved into the new place, there won't be any excuses any more.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #108
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

My Daughter is a Sophomore this year and I have emailed and tried contacting this Staff on numerous occasions to no avail. We are going up to visit UT within the next two weeks as they seem interested. I sure hope this Staff will take advantage of the talent instate unlike the previous Staff but I am not certain that is going to be the case.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #109
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
My Daughter is a Sophomore this year and I have emailed and tried contacting this Staff on numerous occasions to no avail. We are going up to visit UT within the next two weeks as they seem interested. I sure hope this Staff will take advantage of the talent instate unlike the previous Staff but I am not certain that is going to be the case.
There are 8 in-state players on the USC roster . There are 4 who start and all 4 have done well so far . For a state with a small population, I don't think you can expect much more than that . There are more in-state travel teams nowadays that try to play in the top national tournaments so players are more likely to get seen .

I have no problem with USC's recruiting other than pitchers .USC needs the kind of pitcher who can give the team a chance to win almost every time out . Best pitcher in the state in the last few years was Leslie Jury and she's behind an all-american at Alabama . She certainly could help USC but she committed to Alabama long before Beverly Smith arrived in town . Ashley Czechner was very good at Maryland and then in JC ball and is now at LSU . She could probably help USC as well, but she appears to be the #3 pitcher for LSU .
Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #110
soreshins
Walk On

Male

soreshins has hatched from the shell

Scfashpitch--you need to calm yourself. You sound ready to fire Bev Smith. Anyone knowledgable about the program realizes what she inherited was not a good team or close to being a good team. If you want to panic in year 3 (after 9 games) you are not doing the program a service.
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #111
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreshins View Post
Scfashpitch--you need to calm yourself. You sound ready to fire Bev Smith. Anyone knowledgable about the program realizes what she inherited was not a good team or close to being a good team. If you want to panic in year 3 (after 9 games) you are not doing the program a service.
I think you have a reading comprehension problem . I said I like this coaching staff and I'm pulling for them hard . But the fact is, if this turns out to be another year with 3 or 4 wins in the SEC , there will be a lot of grumbling . I hope none of those doing the grumbling are big money contributors . Eight million dollars for a new facility, at some point they will expect results .
Next year will be year 4 . I hope our current pitchers improve . I don't want the future for this coaching staff to depend on the arm of one freshman pitcher coming in next season .
Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #112
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
There are 8 in-state players on the USC roster . There are 4 who start and all 4 have done well so far . For a state with a small population, I don't think you can expect much more than that . There are more in-state travel teams nowadays that try to play in the top national tournaments so players are more likely to get seen .

I have no problem with USC's recruiting other than pitchers .USC needs the kind of pitcher who can give the team a chance to win almost every time out . Best pitcher in the state in the last few years was Leslie Jury and she's behind an all-american at Alabama . She certainly could help USC but she committed to Alabama long before Beverly Smith arrived in town . Ashley Czechner was very good at Maryland and then in JC ball and is now at LSU . She could probably help USC as well, but she appears to be the #3 pitcher for LSU .
My question is are they getting the best players instate. A kid getting interest from UT certainly should be able to get interest from USC. I just don't see them doing anything in the Upstate but hope they prove me wrong. I would like nothing more to see USC Softball Program compete Nationally.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #113
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1214284
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

I think what we really need is our own version of a Cat Osterman, Jennie Finch, Taryn Mowat, Danielle Lawrie....well you get the picture. We need one dominate pitcher for this team to build around for years to come. It will go a long way to help building the program. Who knows this freshman Katie Marks could be that pitcher. She is still young and has plenty of time to prove herself.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #114
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
My question is are they getting the best players instate. A kid getting interest from UT certainly should be able to get interest from USC. I just don't see them doing anything in the Upstate but hope they prove me wrong. I would like nothing more to see USC Softball Program compete Nationally.
I can't tell you if they are getting the right players or not . They have a lineup full of .300 plus hitters right now, so it's hard to criticize the position players . Three of those starters I mentioned are from the upstate .

Tennessee ain't perfect . Kentucky has a freshman pitcher from the state of Tennessee that has already beat two nationally ranked teams . Either they out-recruited Tennessee or out-evaluated them . Kentucky also has a couple of position players from South Carolina who are starting a lot . I would imagine we saw them play because I think USC leftfielder Alaynie Page played on the same travel team . I'm happy to have Page, but maybe we should have went after the other two harder . Time will tell .
Old 02-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #115
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
I think what we really need is our own version of a Cat Osterman, Jennie Finch, Taryn Mowat, Danielle Lawrie....well you get the picture. We need one dominate pitcher for this team to build around for years to come. It will go a long way to help building the program. Who knows this freshman Katie Marks could be that pitcher. She is still young and has plenty of time to prove herself.
It doesn't have to be someone that good . The Audrey Broyles of her freshman year (before shoulder surgery) would be fine . Audrey gave us a chance to win most of the time . We beat Alabama two out of three that year, and I'm pretty sure Broyles had a win and a save that weekend . Unfortunately she has never been quite the same since the surgery .

Or the JC pitcher that came in in 2007 and helped us reach the super regional . I can't even remember her name now, but she had some great games .
Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #116
Gamecock#22
Walk On

Male

Gamecock#22 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
I can't tell you if they are getting the right players or not . They have a lineup full of .300 plus hitters right now, so it's hard to criticize the position players . Three of those starters I mentioned are from the upstate .

Tennessee ain't perfect . Kentucky has a freshman pitcher from the state of Tennessee that has already beat two nationally ranked teams . Either they out-recruited Tennessee or out-evaluated them . Kentucky also has a couple of position players from South Carolina who are starting a lot . I would imagine we saw them play because I think USC leftfielder Alaynie Page played on the same travel team . I'm happy to have Page, but maybe we should have went after the other two harder . Time will tell .
Those two kids were recruited at USC and were not interested. One wanted Alabama and the other liked Kentucky. Both had already verbally committed to Kentucky before Coach Smith had even accepted the job at USC. Iím pretty sure Coach Smith accepted the job on July 15, 2010, which is one month before classes started for her 2011 softball season. Most all the top softball recruits have already verbal by their tenth grade year of high school. Plus most college coaches recruit based on team needs and money available. Next yearís recruits are all on Coach Smith and her staff.
Gamecock#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #117
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1214284
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock#22 View Post
Those two kids were recruited at USC and were not interested. One wanted Alabama and the other liked Kentucky. Both had already verbally committed to Kentucky before Coach Smith had even accepted the job at USC. Iím pretty sure Coach Smith accepted the job on July 15, 2010, which is one month before classes started for her 2011 softball season. Most all the top softball recruits have already verbal by their tenth grade year of high school. Plus most college coaches recruit based on team needs and money available. Next yearís recruits are all on Coach Smith and her staff.
Boo is playing good this year. You should be proud.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #118
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock#22 View Post
Good info . Thanks .
Old 02-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #119
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:

Ughm UT has been a National Power in Softball for a while. USC has basically been recruiting players from one particular Travel Team. While that Travel Team is good they do not have the best players in this State. They have the best players who were able to afford to play for that Team. I am not going to get into USC and their players other than saying if they are not in the Upstate checking out what is their over the next 2 to 3 years they are no better than the previous Staff.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #120
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

I just hope the girls get back on track this weekend and refocus.

They are playing in Charleston this weekend, so no long road trips etc.

It'll be interesting to see how the team handles adversity after loosing some games.