CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
johnnyb
QCB
markp_vip
ChickenButt
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
l^l^lBGCock
NAGamecockFan
So Disappointed With (3244)
No Comments on the H (1174)
Call of Duty: Advanc (343)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (272)
Freshman ND WR " (234)
Vote For Cocky (156)
Things They Should H (144)
Keeping tailgate foo (126)
Good Riddance to bad (108)
An A to Z of Noah We (57)
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
So Disappointed With The
BAW
Who start on the d line t
Texas athletic director:
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
No Comments on the Holes?
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me

Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #41
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material
Default Re: Thoughts after first series (official)

I'm encouraged about our team this season. Certainly looked sloppier than I would have cared for. The defense came together over the course of last season - looks like we will need that to happen again.

The bats were a little on the chilly side - hoping they will warm up over time.

The pitching looked pretty good. Lotta balls were bouncing to the catcher - for both sides - on Friday at least, so I'll chalk that up to season starts.

I look forward to seeing more of our bullpen throughout the year. See what kind of development Meyers pulls out.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #42
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
Debbie Downer here...

Even I know that a baseball season is a journey, and that you can't judge this team with any certainty after only one series. Having said that however, how many games will it cost us not having the mega-leadership of a Roth, Price, Walker, and Marzilli in the dugout?
That is what will take the longest to replace.
Leaders will have to emerge, and the only way that happens is through actions.

Joey, Grayson and Tanner really need to step up their games and really ascend that leadership position.

But again, you are asking someone to replace an intangible thing that Roth, Walker and Marzilli brought to a dugout...a loose nature.
That isn't something anyone can bring...you either have the mentality or you don't.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #43
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Tanner looked 1000x better batting lefty.

Even though we lost.... I prefer LB on 3rd, Kmart on 1st. Vergason was good on 3rd, but I think LB is outstanding there. We can also use the extra stick Kmart brings to the plate.

Hope Evan Beal can settle in a little bit cause I really like his presence on the mound.

Feel good with Webb coming to shut things down.
COCKYTALKIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #44
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

I like what Chad said in his interview, he wants the guys to have more fun playing the game, to loosen up. He thought they were tight, probably opening night jitters but you guys know that when they loosen up & have fun (spirit stick, Reptar etc....) that they play better ball. I say give them a week or two to settle in & have some fun.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #45
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 436
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

It's going to be tough to get used to hearing Graham Saiko's name called every plate appearance and not think..."Is that a nick name?"

"who's Psycho?!"
Old 02-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #46
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

CockyCash: 100500
johnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie View Post
I went to school and graduated with his dad (lee) in 1982, his kid is a good catcher, Gwd was never known for our baseball team only for our football team, but this kid is a good baseball player, and he showed it this past weekend against us, he called three great games. I see him going pro one day....
my family's good friends w/ their family. Lee's a great dude. I'd love to see Trey hit the majors
Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #47
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

after the first two series. LB is a damn monster. Our team is better offensively than last year. English from the left side is crazy good. pitching staff is solid. the defense needs to step it up. and we are a crazy fast team.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #48
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

and we learned liberty is a damn good team
Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #49
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post
and we learned liberty is a damn good team
Been out of the loop this weekend. We played Albany right? Who did Liberty play.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #50
Colorado Cocksman
Walk On

Male

Colorado Cocksman has hatched from the shell

Liberty swept Penn State.
Colorado Cocksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #51
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHONGILMOREFAN! View Post
after the first two series. LB is a damn monster. Our team is better offensively than last year. English from the left side is crazy good. pitching staff is solid. the defense needs to step it up. and we are a crazy fast team.
Too early to say the offense is better. We hit .210 as a team against Liberty and while we hit better against Albany its still Albany. I think this lineup top to bottom is better than last years lineup. Some guys like Costen, Kmart, Payne, Greiner, need to find their groove and I'm convinced they will.

Our starting pitchers won't blow anyone away but they are consistent and solid. You know what you're going to get out of them. To have 2 seniors on the back end of the starting rotation will be huge.

Webb is our man at relief pitcher and there are others who show promise like Britt, Beal, Seddon and Koumas. We'll need a couple of those guys to step up and pitch consistently well for us to go deep this year.

Defense was solid this weekend but still a work in progress. As expected, some of the new guys have struggled in their first ABs (Carson, Arendas, Christian) but hopefully they improve with more ABs this year.

Dantzler is a beast. I'm thinking he could potentially be a .340 10-15 HR guy this year.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #52
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
That is what will take the longest to replace.
Leaders will have to emerge, and the only way that happens is through actions.

Joey, Grayson and Tanner really need to step up their games and really ascend that leadership position.

But again, you are asking someone to replace an intangible thing that Roth, Walker and Marzilli brought to a dugout...a loose nature.
That isn't something anyone can bring...you either have the mentality or you don't.
Dantzler is one of those guys, IMO. He plays well, is respected by his teammates, and has that "loose nature."
Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #53
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

All we know is this...we played a tough series against Liberty (probable tournament team) then beat an Albany team that, let's face it, probably won't make the tournament.

Got a game against Furman which has been a good test the last few times before Clemson.

Not sure how good Clemson is because they went 2-1 against William and Mary and swept a bad Wright State team.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #54
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Friday night's game is going to be tough because it's a Rivalry game on their field. I always treat that game as a toss up each and every season (see last year...NO reason they should have beaten us, but they did...and dogpiled for avoiding the sweep...bless their hearts). Saturday, I just feel good about us on a neutral field again. Sunday...at the friendly confines of Carolina Stadium, PLTs in full force...oh it's ON!!!!
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote