Welcome to Cockytalk!
Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!
If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!
|Today's Top 10|
|Posters (by posts)||Threads (by views)||Newest Posts||Gamecock Headlines|
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
|03-05-2013, 08:12 PM||#1|
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Appalachian Trail
Spring Practice 1 Key Points
I went to practice today. Since Spurt couldn't make it, I decided to just give some brief points of interest.
1. Thus far, the rumors about Shamier stepping up seem to be on point. He looked solid, making several nice catches and running after the catch. Jumping to my mind are one catch on a corner route where he did a good job staying in bounds and cutting up field for YAC. He also made another really good catch close to the sideline where the ball was thrown a bit poorly- he made a very nice body adjustment and made a leaping catch. I believe that was the catch of the day.
2. Nick Jones and Vic Hampton appear to be the finalists to replace Ace Sanders at PR.
3. Kelvin Rainey looks to be transitioning to linebacker well thus far. He had two INTS which he ran back... it seems that they run back most INTs in spring practice though.
4. Kane Whitehurst was in a yellow "no contact" jersey. He was the only one wearing one that I noticed.
5. Drew Owens is still humongous. He made some nice catches. I look forward to him getting involved in the offense this season. Adams is slightly smaller, but made several catches. Buster had a few as well.
6. Shaq Roland did not practice. Per 107.5, it was an academic issue. Damiere Byrd, Shon Carson, Bruce, and Shaw also did not practice. I noticed Byrd and Shaw hanging around the practice in sweats.
7. Kwinton Smith did not do much. I'm not sure if he had a catch. I heard that he had gained weight, but he still looks pretty skinny.
8. Speaking of skinny- Darius English. Yeah.
9. Jody Fuller received several targets, but was not super impressive. Barely missed on a couple of catches. I hope this guy can get involved- he is shorter, but well-built.
10. No QB looked super impressive, but that's not very surprising. There were probably 5 or more picks thrown in total and they were spread among several players. It seemed like Dylan Thompson's reps were more limited than the other QB's. It seemed like Orth and Noso received the most reps. Connor Mitch made a few decent throws.
11. I don't recall KJ Brent recording a catch. I didn't feel like he got many reps.
12. Inconsistent punting.
13. Basically all of the defensive guys got some good reps from what I could tell. None of them stuck out to me particularly outside of Rainey and Hampton flying around as usual. A lot of rotating out. Same on both sides of the ball as is typical with spring practice.
14. Wilds seemed to get all of the carries. I don't recall seeing Davis out there.
15. Philip Dukes and Kelcey Quarles both had INT's.
First spring practice so you definitely can't take a whole lot from it, but this is what I felt were the key points.
EDIT: I believe that Ahmad Christian was also absent as he is playing baseball and Brison Williams had an INT... felt like I needed to give a little more info on the secondary haha... I'm more an offensive-minded guy.
Last edited by Cock Kool-Aid; 03-05-2013 at 10:23 PM.