CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
Thenardier
SanAntonioCock
Spurticus
Bobby Boucher
MACXIMVS
rdwylie
JerseyBird
uscgamecocks88
MWard
Sindarius Thornwell (976)
Chicago ND fan/SEC b (701)
Well gameday just go (500)
Happy Birthday, Coac (450)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (398)
Your most famous twi (331)
Unsung Hero (256)
South Carolina @ Aub (251)
Softball takes final (158)
Athlon Ranks the SEC (150)
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
Athlon Ranks the SEC's QB
17 Ridiculous Kitchen Gad
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Season Rankings Thread...
Sindarius Thornwell Draft
Connor Mitch

Old 12-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default The BCS can't be gone soon enough for me.

While I'm not a fan of the "playoff" system scheduled to begin next year to determine the national champion, the BCS can't be gone soon enough. There are glaring flaws in the system in general which have been discussed before, but maybe none more obvious than the schools chosen for the BCS games that aren't the championship game.

Unless something unexpected happens, UCF and Clemson will both be playing in BCS games. It's also very possible Missouri will make it to the Sugar Bowl. Everyone knows USC beat all of those teams, yet USC won't be part of the BCS in its last year. In what world does it make sense not one or two, but THREE teams who were beaten by one team get rewarded more than the team that beat them?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material
Default Re: The BCS can't be gone soon enough for me.

I see your points and agree that it really sucks that 3 teams we beat could all be in BCS games while we get left out. BUT, those 3 teams to care of business in every game they were supposed to win. You can afford to lose one big game in the SEC and still be okay, but once you drop a game that you should win, it's tough to bounce back.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
GoldenSpur7
Veritas vincit ...

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

The projected BCS bowl matchups I saw last night were awful.
GoldenSpur7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
jseal777
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1450
jseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervousjseal777 is making other chickens nervous

It is certainly flawed. If we had beaten UT we would be in the SECCG and possible NC talks etc,. But it is what it is. Just got to show up and beat whoever we get in our bowl. Recruiting for the next two years is solid, especially with this win over Clemson. I have said it once and I will say it again. We are building a powerhouse program here at Carolina. The schedule next year is rough but we will be one of the best in the nation with plenty of room to grow. Beating ATM in the season opener on national TV will get our hype machine rolling early and we just need to take care of business from there and we are in the first ever FBS playoffs. THAT is the New Carolina. Screw the BCS.
jseal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Latti
Uscooper

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Latti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talonsLatti has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
I see your points and agree that it really sucks that 3 teams we beat could all be in BCS games while we get left out. BUT, those 3 teams to care of business in every game they were supposed to win. You can afford to lose one big game in the SEC and still be okay, but once you drop a game that you should win, it's tough to bounce back.
It's really that stupid 3 teams from the same conference rule that has screwed us. It's a joke that NIU or UCf will get in and we won't. Even dumber that a 10-2 Clemson team we beat gets in. If you are in the top 8 you should be guaranteed a spot.
Latti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
B-G
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Not really too angry about Mizzou possibly going to the Sugar Bowl.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Not really too angry about Mizzou possibly going to the Sugar Bowl.
Don't misunderstand me. It's not the idea ONE of those might make it (even CU), but the fact there's a real possibility all three will be in BCS bowls and we won't even though we have a really good record and beat all of them that really bothers me.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

It doesn't seemed too flawed to me. It's a subjective system no matter what way you look at it, It has to be beause to many team with too many different schedules involved, and that is why people complain.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

IF FSU and OSU were to go down Bama and Auburn or Mizzou would play for the title.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

Yeah it sucks that Clemson will prob make it in and we cant...again. Watch, Clemson will prob win and get all this attention just like they did when they beat LSU.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
IF FSU and OSU were to go down Bama and Auburn or Mizzou would play for the title.
Yeah, but I'm not even unhappy with the way the championship teams are decided. Overall, that's the one thing the BCS has been good at doing, getting the two best teams in the title game, even if those teams are only the best by record. This year is definitely a case where the SEC has cannibalized itself.

Here is a list of schools whose only losses during the year came in conference play. Approximately 6 of these were title contenders at various times.

Alabama - 1 loss
Auburn - 1 loss
Missouri - 1 loss
South Carolina - 2 losses
LSU - 3 losses
Texas A&M - 4 losses
Vanderbilt - 4 losses
Mississippi - 5 losses
Old 12-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 180386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

Only one game matters, the rest are just bowl games
Old 12-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBrooks View Post
Only one game matters, the rest are just bowl games
This, I agree with. That's why we need a REAL playoff system. We can still call the various venues the bowl games and even maintain the sponsorships. A real playoff system -- not the joke coming next year -- would make MORE money than the current bowl system.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #14
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Yep, needs to be 16 teams, 8 min.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #15
ssladler
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 934
ssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
Yeah it sucks that Clemson will prob make it in and we cant...again. Watch, Clemson will prob win and get all this attention just like they did when they beat LSU.
Ask those tiger fans how they liked all the attention they got after their last BCS game.
ssladler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #16
CaptainCock91
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 495
CaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot material

BCS Games should be for top 10 teams and top 10 teams only.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #17
aftertwobowls
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 4163750
aftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot material

I really hate their rule that no more than 2 teams from the same conference can go to BCS bowl games. If not for this rule there would probably be 3 or 4 SEC teams in BCS games every year. It really pissed me off a couple of years ago when because LSU and Bama were in the NCG, the Sugar bowl was Michigan vs. VT..
aftertwobowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #18
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

CockyCash: 500
SC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
Yeah, but I'm not even unhappy with the way the championship teams are decided. Overall, that's the one thing the BCS has been good at doing, getting the two best teams in the title game, even if those teams are only the best by record. This year is definitely a case where the SEC has cannibalized itself.

Here is a list of schools whose only losses during the year came in conference play. Approximately 6 of these were title contenders at various times.

Alabama - 1 loss
Auburn - 1 loss
Missouri - 1 loss
South Carolina - 2 losses
LSU - 3 losses
Texas A&M - 4 losses
Vanderbilt - 4 losses
Mississippi - 5 losses
Every time I think about complaining about our ranking, I remember us losing to a 5-7 UT team. Not to mention that our schedule this year was not the toughest. We needed to take care of business this year and we didn't plain and simple.

BTW you can do the same thing with the Pac 12 and the Big 12 and the ACC
SC Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

BCS is and always has been a joke and a flawed system. Never liked it since the day they announced it.

Glad it's gone. Good Riddance
Old 12-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #20
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Like it or not, the BCS has paid off big time for the SEC, ultimately bringing in a lot of money to our Ath. Dept.

I'm all for the play-off, although a four team playoff is only going to ruffle more feathers, unless you are one of the lucky four teams to get in. It's about time we do what needs to be done and start getting in the winners circle. Hopefully it will increase to an eight team play-off very soon.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote