CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
spareparts
Spurticus
ertman420
MWard
bigdog2003
Cunningham wants to (1173)
ESPN article on Clow (775)
Clemson Georgia Game (658)
Fumble party (367)
New Led Zep releases (151)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (146)
Truly Inspiring (133)
2014 garnet and blac (84)
2 tickets for USC vs (8)
Chick Redefines the (0)
The Bama series
Clemson Georgia Game to b
ESPN article on Clowney -
2015 - Davon Durant
2016 - Issac Nauta
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2015 - Jordan Scarlett -
Softball tops Georgia Sou
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Name a Gamecock

Old 12-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #21
RphBallCoach
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
RphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Shaw in the NFL?

Late round to Dirty Birds or New England due to similar draft strategies.
RphBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #22
CockyCody
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 803
CockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervousCockyCody is making other chickens nervous

I would love it if the Falcons could get him late and get Clowney in the 1st round. Lord knows they need all the help that they can get!! A white boy receiver(Connor) would look good in red and black.
CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #23
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Anyone else notice Shaw laughing after he lined up at Wide Receiver and tried to make that one catch? It was like he was laughing thinking, "What am I doing? Im not a receiver hahaha"
Old 12-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

To the OP: no.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #25
Blackland
Blue Chip

Male

Blackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his comb

Shaw is a tough guy and a proven winner. He has the drive to be successful in the NFL. I think he will get a shot somewhere, he will work hard and impress the coaches. If he doesn't make a team I could see him developing as a great (dual threat) practive squad QB.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #26
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

Spurrier thinks Shaw can make it. He has heard pro scouts asking while scouting our other guys. Steve will get Connor a look.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
FLgamecockJAX
4-Star

Male

FLgamecockJAX is sharpening his clawsFLgamecockJAX is sharpening his clawsFLgamecockJAX is sharpening his clawsFLgamecockJAX is sharpening his claws

As for Connor's size, Russell and Drew have already been mentioned, but Jon Kitna spent 15 years as a journeyman. Jon was listed at 6ft 2 in, but no way. I stood eye to eye with him and I'm only a little over 5 ft 11 in. I couldn't believe how small Jon was.

As for speed, we must remember how much quicker NFL LBrs are. I remember comments by Michael Vick his rookie season. Can Connor adjust? Possibly. If he can catch and is open to WR, that's an opportunity. To be a great possession WR, you don't have to be a blazer. Great hands, great route running and toughness are what is needed. I'm sure Connor could learn to run great routes and we know how tough he is. Hands would be the question.

Many say Tebow would be a solid TE, but he doesn't seem open to that idea. Therefore, unemployed.
FLgamecockJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #28
Steeler7588
4-Star

Male

Steeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
They have Colt McCoy as their backup right now and Connor is certainly better than him.
Colt McCoy, the 2008 Heisman runner-up? I'm a big fan of what Shaw has accomplished but this is a silly statement.

As for the original post, Shaw's chances in the NFL are slim-to-none. He's the best QB in USC history, a fantastic competitor, and can win like nobody else. However, better college QBs than him have failed to make it in the NFL and most of them had a lot more support (from where they were drafted) than Shaw would get - Tebow, Vince Young, Leinart, Brian Brohm, etc.

Like others have pointed out, size hasn't held back people like Brees or Wilson but they were much better passers. Shaw's game can work at the next level but only with much better athletes.

Some people are great college players but just not suited to the next level, and that's okay.

Steelers / Carolina Gamecocks / Penguins / Arsenal / Pitt Panthers / Bulls / Pirates
Steeler7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
WayzUp
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1200
WayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPit
Send a message via Yahoo to WayzUp

Seem to be a lot of doubters on here & throughout Gamecock nation.

I'm just going to say this....if the likes of the past couple Michigan State quarterbacks (Brian Hoyer & Kirk Cousins) can land backup jobs and perform well in the times they do actually get to play, then there is no question in my mind that there's a spot for Shaw in the NFL somewhere. The backup in Pittsburgh is Bruce Grad-freakin'-kowski, for crissakes. Derek Anderson is Cam Newton's backup....whoever thinks there's no spot for Connor Shaw in the NFL is higher than Rob Ford.

As for the physical...there are all kinds of QB's the 'experts' and armchair head coaches have deemed too short or too small to be legit NFL quarterbacks. Shaw is virtually the same size as Drew Brees...far and away bigger/taller than Russell Wilson. He's only an inch and 10 pounds smaller than Tony Romo.

I do think his durability will be a question even if his toughness won't be.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #30
partyguy708
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 25346000
partyguy708 has developed his gaff and talonspartyguy708 has developed his gaff and talonspartyguy708 has developed his gaff and talonspartyguy708 has developed his gaff and talonspartyguy708 has developed his gaff and talonspartyguy708 has developed his gaff and talonspartyguy708 has developed his gaff and talonspartyguy708 has developed his gaff and talonspartyguy708 has developed his gaff and talonspartyguy708 has developed his gaff and talonspartyguy708 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanical Cock View Post
He will get looks. The NFL doesn't rely on the propaganda machine of ESPN that makes it appear that Tajh is the better of the two main SC quarterbacks.

I don't know how far he'll go, but he will be working out for teams after our bowl i'm sure. And then of course QB isn't to only position for baller.
LOL, look I'm all about some Connor Shaw, but implicit in your comments is that he is a better pro prospect than Boyd. That is not the case, the nfl scouts take Boyd over Shaw for a couple of reasons: 1) Tajh has an elite arm CS does not, 2) Tajh goes through his progressions, Connor is a first read and run kinda dude. That being said I would take CS any day of the week in college simply because of the intangibles. As far as the nfl goes, id take Tajh with a 3rd or 4th round pick, and CS I'd take a stab if he were around in the 6th or 7th.

Enjoys intellectually stimulating conversation.
partyguy708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #31
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
Anyone else notice Shaw laughing after he lined up at Wide Receiver and tried to make that one catch? It was like he was laughing thinking, "What am I doing? Im not a receiver hahaha"
He played WR in high school with his brother at QB.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #32
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

bigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervous

He could definitely help the Browns, Vikings, or Rams with their QB situations... He deserves a shot, at any position...
Old 12-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #33
a24gmcks
Recruit

Male

a24gmcks is sharpening his clawsa24gmcks is sharpening his clawsa24gmcks is sharpening his clawsa24gmcks is sharpening his clawsa24gmcks is sharpening his claws

He deserves a chance? - Absolutely.

Will he get drafted? - Unlikely.

Will he sign as FA? - Most likely.

Will he survive final cut and making the roster? - Who knows.
a24gmcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #34
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I think he'll get a shot. The shorter more mobile QB's having success lately will help him out.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #35
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

[quote=nicklieb14;4013214]Do any of you think Shaw will get drafted or get a chance to play in the NFL? Besides Lattimore, Connor has been my favorite Gamecock to watch play and would like to see him playing on Sundays next year. Guys a warrior and I think he deserves an opportunity

This is where HBC isa the best. NFL teams know a good relationship with HBC.
Conner will get drafted and make the roster of some team. He is the new NFL QB like Russel Wilson. Teams will have the Conner type of QB on their roster. NFL scouts know the value of 25 and 5 in the SEC. Conner should be mentioned with the top three QBs in College Football. Besides it was mentioned there were the most NFL Scouts at the game this year. They saw Boyd Choke and Conner win. His stock went up. If he do not make the NFL, as a Grad of Carolina, I would support hiring Conner to the team with a large paycheck, he deserves it.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #36
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

bigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervous

I could see the Seahawks drafting him late or signing him as a FA. He could be an effective backup to Russell Wilson if he were to get injured. and fits their scheme perfectly so they wouldn't need to change up their play calling... thoughts?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #37
Carolinafan@UTENN
Walk On

Male

Carolinafan@UTENN has hatched from the shell

In a lot of ways Shaw reminds me of Alex Smith. I really think he could be successful in that KC system.
Carolinafan@UTENN is offline   Reply With Quote