CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
2000grad
sporkgod50
usc1
ReadR00ster
Cock Kool-Aid
Order 66
rosstheboss
803scdantes
**USC vs. Charleston (4054)
Kelcy and Vic questi (2219)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Steele projects AP t (843)
US Air nsfw tweet (688)
I like how Frank sou (604)
Ahh...The Masters (464)
boiled peanuts (463)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (427)
Tax day freebies (424)
The case for Clowney at #
Hillsborough
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Auburn Hires Pearl
2015 - Auden Tate
**USC vs. Charleston Sout
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
GTA V online
A'ja Wilson
Aggie game coming in from

Old 12-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #41
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

CockyCash: 500
me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material
Default Re: Is Dylan a lock for being our starting QB next season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
I don't see DT being the starter next year. If he didn't play at all vs Tenn and Clemson that speaks volumes.
Actually, DT did play a series at Tennessee. The score was the same when he came out as it was when he went in. He was put in too late in the game, in my opinion.

As for DT being too religious, you do know that Spurrier's dad was a preacher? Both of his sons are Christians, too.

If I've learned anything, it's not to assume that a player is good until I've seen him play in the SEC, and not to try to figure out what Spurrier is thinking. His behavioral patterns at USC indicate he is a man of extreme loyalty. DT finished the deals for UAB, Clemson 2012, The Outback, and UCF (this year). I would guess the job is his to lose because of that. He has already proven himself.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #42
TaiwanCock
Walk On

Male

TaiwanCock has hatched from the shell

As an upperclassmen and as a QB who has won on the field, Dylan will have the well-deserved lead going into the Spring, but it will be a rough and tumble competition. Let's not forget, Brendan was a Parade All American, and broke many of the PA HS QB records in a state that produced many great / legendary QBs. Connor M. chose us over Bama and LSU, and everyone seems to say that he looks like the real deal. Having Shaw graduate leaves a huge hole at QB for us, but I am excited about the coming Spring battle for the starting QB job.
TaiwanCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #43
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Only ways that DT is not our starter next year:

1. He has an epic collapse

2. Mitch absolutely lights it up

Having that veteran experience at QB is going to give DT the edge even if he and Mitch are practicing at the same level.

Our offense is obviously going to look a little different next year with DT due to the difference in mobility, but I think we will be fine. Also, remember that DT is not a statue- he can move around some. Half of Cockytalk thought DT>Shaw in the offseason and now DT is a bum because he was a little out of sync vs Mizzou. Give me a break.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #44
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107378315064
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Dylan doesn't practice well. That is why he couldn't carve out more playing time from Connor.

Dylan really has to polish up some rough edges this Spring and Summer. We also need Nosovitch and Mitch to push him. This is a HUGE Spring for those two. And do not sleep on Perry Orth either. Spurrier will give him a shot to crack the depth chart. Kid can throw.

lol, Perry Orth is not going to be the starter or the backup and probably not 3rd string either
Old 12-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #45
cocky-K
Recruit

Female

cocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his comb

I hope Dylan is our starter. I hope he lights it up to the point that he wins the damn Heisman, b/c that's what I want for our Qbs. Dylan has waited patiently for his chance to be the man, and I think given what he has done for us as the backup, he has earned it. Now if he gets out there and stinks it up repeatedly, by all means, give someone else a chance. I was critical of Connor during 2011 and 12 seasons, and at times wished he'd be benched. It wasn't because I hated the guy, it was b/c we heard repeatedly from Spurrier about what a great passer Connor was, and what pretty passes he throws. Yet, over and over again, he wouldn't go through his progressions, and he'd take off when the pocket wasn't even collapsing. I will be equally critical of Dylan if he doesn't do what i know he is capable of. So yeah, Dylan should be the guy until he proves that he can't be.
cocky-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #46
Rooster Booster
Pastor of Disaster

Male

Rooster Booster has feathers coming inRooster Booster has feathers coming in

If you're a Gamecock fan, I think you want a good competition. I love me some Dylan Thompson, but when push comes to shove, I want the best QB out there. If that's Mitch or 'Vitch, so be it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Wooooo!" - Ric Flair
Rooster Booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #47
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

No. We have open competition at all positions every week. But I sure feel alright about having him versus what other people in the SEC have coming back (except mauk at Mizzou).
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #48
A-Cluckwork-Orange
Optimist

Male

A-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his comb

Dylan will be the starting QB. He has earned it, and we all know how loyal Spurrier is to player's who have paid their dues.
A-Cluckwork-Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #49
bobbycock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 15000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

Who can know this early? But my guess...for what it is worth is that Dylan will be the starter. But Nosovitch and Mitch are close behind. That is to say, I think the HBC will yank him faster than he would when he had Shaw as a starter.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #50
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

I think it's DT's position to lose at this point.
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #51
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Open competition. My guess is Thompson gets the start and unless he does poorly or gets injured gets the lions share of the snaps next year. Mitch & Nosovitch will both see lots of playing time.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #52
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19477065
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
I think it's DT's position to lose at this point.
Totally agree. And I think he will be pushed like crazy by Mitch and 'Vitch. (tip of my cap to Rooster Booster.)
Old 12-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #53
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 127561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

I can see us going back to a two QB system next year. Otherwise we will have to eliminate the zone read with dylan. He isn't enough of a threat.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #54
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

[quote=gamecockguy;4014165]No. I personally think Nosovitch wins the job since he is pretty much a thicker version of Shaw so the zone read will pose a threat. But obviously it depends on how everybody performs

I know Thompson gets a ton of love on here but I just don't see him starting next year. Hes a good and capable backup but thats about it[/quot

Connor Shaw was the starting QB not because of his running ability,but his decision making.20 Tds and 1 interception.If you listen to Spurrier his only criticism of Shaw is that he is to eager to run sometimes.Spurrier still wants his QB to be a passer first and a runner second.Thats why I think Thompson starts,unless 1 of the 2 younger QBs displays the ability to find the open guy and deliver the ball better than Thompson.

Look for Cooper to supply the QB running element.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #55
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I knew this thread would show up.

We'll have dozens of variants of it over the Spring.

Here's the only thing ANYONE knows:

1. Dylan is a RS Senior with proven game experience
2. Nosovitch has shown talent
3. Mitch is a talented QB that was highly regarded coming out of high school

All three will get a shot to win the spot, Dylan has the edge right now because (see #1).

Anything else is conjecture and gab.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #56
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
I hope it's legitimate open competition. No one will benefit if the starter is decided by who has been on campus longer and "paid their dues". If Thompson wins the job through his play the great but if Nosovitch, Mitch or Orth play better then they should get the nod.

There are tons of guys who come to USC every year and put in the uniform, practice and even see some action but it's not a personal knock if they never become a starter.
Spot on. You have expressed my exact feelings on the matter.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #57
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Never mind. I'm going to refrain from saying what should be said. It's clear what someone was trying to do, though.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #58
A. Pilgrim
Walk On

Male

A. Pilgrim has feathers coming inA. Pilgrim has feathers coming inA. Pilgrim has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
Then why didn't DT play? He soundly beat Clemson last year. Connor needed help this year.Why use Pharoah with trick plays? There is something going on because DT is a very good QB. How many QBs in the last 40 years won in Clemson? That was no fluke. DT manhandled the Tigers.

DT would have put away #5 Mizzou in the 1st half if Davis didn't have fumblitus to kill the momentum twice.
Connor needed help this year? What, did you deduce this based on the fact that Pharoah played?

Or, maybe Pharoah played because the coaches saw something in the Clemson D on film that indicated the wildcat would be effective?

Comparing Pharoah's playing time vs Dylan's lack of playing time, and concluding as definitively as you seem to have that this can ONLY mean that there is something 'going on' with Dylan and Spurrier, show just how far off you are on this subject. Pharoah and Dylan are completely different types of QBs...maybe THATS why Cooper was in over Thompson???
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #59
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
No. We have open competition at all positions every week. But I sure feel alright about having him versus what other people in the SEC have coming back (except mauk at Mizzou).
You make a good point. Replacing Connor (as best we can) is critical next season, but we're not the only team replacing an elite QB...the SEC was loaded with elite QBs this season -- Connor, McCarron, Murray, Mettenberger, Manziel -- ALL of whom will be gone in 2014 (unless Manziel shocks everyone and comes back). There is NO sure-fire stud QB returning for SEC play next season.

IF Thompson does get legitimately beaten out by Nos or Mitch, 2014 would be an ideal season to break in a new QB...because there will be no seasoned veteran QB of note to go head to head with anywhere on our schedule. And who's to say Nos or Mitch wouldn't be the best of the SEC young guns under Spurrier's tutelage?

If Thompson locks down the job, I'll root like hell for him, but imagine how exciting it would be to see one of our youngsters take this program by the reigns in '14 and flat out ball for the next few seasons.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #60
WE_ARE
Mr. BIG COCK

Male

CockyCash: 200
WE_ARE has developed his gaff and talonsWE_ARE has developed his gaff and talonsWE_ARE has developed his gaff and talonsWE_ARE has developed his gaff and talonsWE_ARE has developed his gaff and talonsWE_ARE has developed his gaff and talonsWE_ARE has developed his gaff and talonsWE_ARE has developed his gaff and talonsWE_ARE has developed his gaff and talonsWE_ARE has developed his gaff and talonsWE_ARE has developed his gaff and talons

Baring some sort of epic collapse, it's his team next year.
WE_ARE is offline   Reply With Quote