CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Roosterdog
F4rpoole
GoldenSpur7
fridayserv
Lalli25
CockTail
gamecock88
Yearofthegamecock
B-G
JaxcockFL
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1154)
Byron the bunny...fe (541)
The #AskEmmert Q& (454)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
Shameless self promo (301)
One thing I was glad (168)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (145)
Peach Bowl name retu (143)
Save Electricity By (71)
Construction of Worl (62)
What is your perfect egg?
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Kelcy and Vic questioned
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
Amazon Fire TV
Where will we be preseaso
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
2014 Gamecock Football Po

Old 12-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #61
BigTex
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
BigTex has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Is Dylan a lock for being our starting QB next season?

My hope is Nosovitch or Mitch start next season. If Nosovitch can't win the job over Thompson who is an average QB after having two years to grow and learn the system then he should just transfer because Mitch will take over for certain in a year.

In a perfect world, Mitch comes in and starts next year.
BigTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #62
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

I think it's very hard to judge Dylan on this year's performances. He came into some games at very odd times. Usually it was always throwing downs. If he can get the majority of snaps during the week and prepare to start, we should see a better Dylan next year. BTW, Dylan can run, he's strong and he's not injury prone. I look for him to run the offense much like Shaw did this year, just less tucking and running. Dylan will normally throw it away if no one is open. When he runs, it will usually be a designed running play.

I want to see the best QB play, but it would be special if Dylan was the best next year and gave Noso and Mitch another year in the system to get better before they are relied upon to lead the team week in and week out.

In other words, I expect Dylan to have a great year next year.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #63
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97410000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
I think it's very hard to judge Dylan on this year's performances. He came into some games at very odd times. Usually it was always throwing downs. If he can get the majority of snaps during the week and prepare to start, we should see a better Dylan next year. BTW, Dylan can run, he's strong and he's not injury prone. I look for him to run the offense much like Shaw did this year, just less tucking and running. Dylan will normally throw it away if no one is open. When he runs, it will usually be a designed running play.

I want to see the best QB play, but it would be special if Dylan was the best next year and gave Noso and Mitch another year in the system to get better before they are relied upon to lead the team week in and week out.

In other words, I expect Dylan to have a great year next year.
there is plenty of logic behind your ideas, but as a counter point DT took the majority of the snaps the week leading up to the missouri game and his play in that game did not stand out as significantly different from his other appearances. if anything it was worse. I hope that last years DT was the more accurate pertrail of the young man than his start this year.

sporkgod50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #64
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

The problem USC is going to have with Thompson is they have to find ways to generate enough rushing offense to keep defenses from just loading up and coming after him every play. And I mean this within our base offense .. not the Wildcat with Cooper or special packages with Nosovitch. Spurrier is probably going to throw even more next year than he did this year with Thompson, so there needs to be some sort of balance mixed in there. Something that has to be worked on is a more diverse running game package under center. Maybe there are formation and personnel packages that they have in store for Dylan that they are holding back until the Spring. I don't know but without that added threat of running at the QB position, we are very one dimensional as of today. So I hope Coach Elliott and Coach Sands go take some visits this Summer and find some creative ideas to move the football on the ground of this offense is going to be hot & cold all year long.

Our weapons next year are in the passing game but there has to be more to the run game than inside handoff from the shotgun to Mike Davis.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #65
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
You need to learn to express thoughts better than this. Answer the question or behave yourself and don't say anything. It's very difficult to converse with a hero worshipper with thin skin.
then stop saying posting stupid crap! Dylan Thompson will enter the spring as the starter and most likely keep it through the fall but no doubt will be pushed by Mitch and Noso for playing time. Will be some good comp at QB next year, I think Thompson will have a very, very good RS SR year leading the GAMECOCKS to new firsts and continuing the home winning streak as well as getting clemsux to fear the other hand!
qcgamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #66
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
The problem USC is going to have with Thompson is they have to find ways to generate enough rushing offense to keep defenses from just loading up and coming after him every play. And I mean this within our base offense .. not the Wildcat with Cooper or special packages with Nosovitch. Spurrier is probably going to throw even more next year than he did this year with Thompson, so there needs to be some sort of balance mixed in there. Something that has to be worked on is a more diverse running game package under center. Maybe there are formation and personnel packages that they have in store for Dylan that they are holding back until the Spring. I don't know but without that added threat of running at the QB position, we are very one dimensional as of today. So I hope Coach Elliott and Coach Sands go take some visits this Summer and find some creative ideas to move the football on the ground of this offense is going to be hot & cold all year long.

Our weapons next year are in the passing game but there has to be more to the run game than inside handoff from the shotgun to Mike Davis.
Agree, the OL will have to play better but don't slip on Thompsons ability to run, he did run for 3 TD's in 16 attempts this year and we will no doubt continue to see Cooper in the wildcat.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #67
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
there is plenty of logic behind your ideas, but as a counter point DT took the majority of the snaps the week leading up to the missouri game and his play in that game did not stand out as significantly different from his other appearances. if anything it was worse. I hope that last years DT was the more accurate pertrail of the young man than his start this year.

LOL Dylan was 15 of 27 for 222yds, did not take a sack, did not fumble and threw one bad pass but the fumbles in the red zone killed his drives and neither were his fault. He also had 2 bad drops that were drive killers. Shaw came in and played well but it is not like Thompson was playing bad at all, Shaw coming in and winning the game is no reflection on Dylan playing bad IMO at all, Shaw gave the team a jolt and it was obvious after the INT Dylan might let the pressure get to him so SOS gave the team a spark.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #68
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
LOL Dylan was 15 of 27 for 222yds, did not take a sack, did not fumble and threw one bad pass but the fumbles in the red zone killed his drives and neither were his fault. He also had 2 bad drops that were drive killers. Shaw came in and played well but it is not like Thompson was playing bad at all, Shaw coming in and winning the game is no reflection on Dylan playing bad IMO at all, Shaw gave the team a jolt and it was obvious after the INT Dylan might let the pressure get to him so SOS gave the team a spark.
so you think DT played better this year than last?

Old 12-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #69
Flab
Walk On

Male

Flab has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Then why didn't DT play? He soundly beat Clemson last year. Connor needed help this year.Why use Pharoah with trick plays? There is something going on because DT is a very good QB. How many QBs in the last 40 years won in Clemson? That was no fluke. DT manhandled the Tigers.

DT would have put away #5 Mizzou in the 1st half if Davis didn't have fumblitus to kill the momentum twice.
No offense, but you are HIGHLY overrating DT.
Flab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #70
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
You need to learn to express thoughts better than this. Answer the question or behave yourself and don't say anything. It's very difficult to converse with a hero worshipper with thin skin.
You earned it bro.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #71
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
so you think DT played better this year than last?
He did not get to play as much or prepare as the starter as much so it would be hard to compare, he did not play worse or digress IMO at all. He had almost 60 more attempts last year, he had great moments last year-clemsux and bad moments as well-flawda just like this year.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #72
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

I would like to see some more I formation next year. With that big o line and a good FB I think that will get the running game going again.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #73
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

You'll see whoever is best fit to hit the field but I'd rather have a senior leading us. When's the last time a freshman QB led a team to a SEC Championship or National Championship?
Old 12-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #74
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
He did not get to play as much or prepare as the starter as much so it would be hard to compare, he did not play worse or digress IMO at all. He had almost 60 more attempts last year, he had great moments last year-clemsux and bad moments as well-flawda just like this year.
lets look at his stats instead of having arguments based opinions.

huge drop off this year in his td to int ratio: 10:2 in 2012 4:3 this year.
(it gets even worse if you just look at his starts)

his completion percentage was improved from last year. its up nearly 10 points and that doesnt change with or without excluding non starting stats.

my point was we don't really know if we're gonna be getting the qb who went 23/41 for 310 yds 3 tds 1 INT (Clemson 2012) or the one that went 15/27 for 233 0 tds and 1 INT (his start this year).

blame it on the other players all you like, the first qb starts next year the second I hope does not. Here's to hoping DT reverts to his 2012 form.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #75
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
You'll see whoever is best fit to hit the field but I'd rather have a senior leading us. When's the last time a freshman QB led a team to a SEC Championship or National Championship?
Vick, RS Fr 1999
Kosar RS FR 1982
Holieway TR FR 1985

I think Kerwin Bell was a FR when he leaded UF to a SEC title
Old 12-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #76
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Except for his high school videos I've seen nothing to make me think Nosovich is equal to DT but there is definantly something going on between Spurrier and DT. I don't think Spurrier likes DT. Maybe he is too religious?
Yeah, I've heard Spurrier keeps trying to get him to do the "Slayer" hand sign, but DT refuses.

With only a month to go, that has to be the top contender for "fp post of the year."
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #77
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
Vick, RS Fr 1999
Kosar RS FR 1982
Holieway TR FR 1985

I think Kerwin Bell was a FR when he leaded UF to a SEC title
I said SEC.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #78
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
I said SEC.
1st you said SEC CG OR NC game

2nd UF stands for Florida
Old 12-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #79
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
1st you said SEC CG OR NC game

2nd UF stands for Florida
succinct and hillarious.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #80
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Dylan is not a lock.

He lacks consistency. His last two games, he was overthrowing most of his passes.

Also, he needs to avoid staring at his primary receiver.

I love Dylan and think he will be great but also admit that he has been sub-par this year and I don't know why.