CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Cockypantherfan
roosterdude21
F4rpoole
Spur's Addiction
2000grad
Thenardier
Spurticus
qcgamecock
BeatBamaTwice
Roosterdog
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1513)
The #AskEmmert Q& (473)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (197)
Peach Bowl name retu (187)
Construction of Worl (152)
Save Electricity By (136)
Stadium Ratings-Site (108)
HELP calculating acr (101)
How Experienced In P (55)
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
2015 - Davon Durant
Victor Hampton Arrested
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Amazon Fire TV
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #121
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly
Default Re: Cap one, cotton, or outback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
It's my understanding there is a rule regarding bowl eligibility......a bowl can only select a team with 1 more loss than a higher ranked team....for example since we are ranked higher than A&M, our record is 10-2 there record is 8-4....thay have 2 more losses than us so the Outback is prevented from taking A&M over us.

We are trending about 70% Cap One......20% Chick-fil-A and 10% other.
That is interesting. Schools are mathematically chosen by bowl commitees. I think bowl commities better take in to account the recession is still in full swing. A thousand miles is a long way for a bowl game.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #122
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Capital One or Outback it appears. Would love the Cotton but LSU is likely getting the invite.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #123
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
And the Outback had us last year. This is a similar situation to last year. A&M and Gamecocks repeat bowls. Both teams are a draw on TV and in ticket sales.
Sending A&M to the Outback and USC to the Cotton is reducing the draw. If I get a chance to watch Johnny Football on TV I'm going to watch and so are you.
The Cotton wants Texas and Texas won't play A&M yet. So if the Cotton can take Texas, don't be surprised if we are the opponent. Please remember that Texas still runs that state and gets what it wants. What Texas wants is the highest ranked opponent it can get. Out of the SEC, I believe Bama, Auburn and Mizzou take the two BCS slots and the Cap One. We will be the highest ranked SEC team left. It will be a thumb wrestle between the Cotton and the Outback over us and ATM. I think Texas will get what it wants (us) and the Outback will love having ATM (or LSU). But we need Texas in the Cotton and there is work to be done for that to happen.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #124
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
The Cotton wants Texas and Texas won't play A&M yet. So if the Cotton can take Texas, don't be surprised if we are the opponent. Please remember that Texas still runs that state and gets what it wants. What Texas wants is the highest ranked opponent it can get. Out of the SEC, I believe Bama, Auburn and Mizzou take the two BCS slots and the Cap One. We will be the highest ranked SEC team left. It will be a thumb wrestle between the Cotton and the Outback over us and ATM. I think Texas will get what it wants (us) and the Outback will love having ATM (or LSU). But we need Texas in the Cotton and there is work to be done for that to happen.
No lol no.... no
Old 12-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #125
1801Green
Blue Chip

Male

1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
I'd like to see us in the Cotton Bowl; however, I think USC fans would have a hard time traveling. That'd be an expensive trip.

I think we all know that the Outback Bowl is sick of us.

It will be the Cap One or Chick-Fil-A. I always like the Chick-Fil-A because of the TV spot it occupies. Playing Duke in Atlanta would be one of the more intriguing bowl games.
Playing Duke in the CFA Bowl would be a bad dream. I can't think of a worse scenario.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #126
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_carolina_528 View Post
SEC Champ loser can't drop below the Cotton/Outback. No CFA for Mizzou/Auburn.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/01...ies-range.html
Um, yes they can. We did when we won the East.

That article you link is actually not accurate. It's not LIKELY that they drop below that, but Mizzou, being a newcomer, could get pushed to Outback/CFA with a loss. If Auburn loses they would go to Cotton or Cap One.

I also don't think the Cotton is interested in a 4 loss A&M team that dropped 2 straight to end the season. A&M will end up in the CFA or Outback. I think the Cotton is between us and LSU at this point, w/ whoever doesn't go going to Cap 1.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #127
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

It appears

That's everyone's favorite line this time of year.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #128
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Man, I would love to play Texas.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #129
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly

Looks like a tough selection this bowl season. If section committees forget there is a recession and say "well we had them last year"; they will find a lot of empty seats. We answer to the almighty dollar. Most people's credit cards are tapped out. Fans can use cash to go 3 to 4 hundred miles but it takes a big swipe of a credit card to go a thousand miles for a bowl.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #130
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Looks like a tough selection this bowl season. If section committees forget there is a recession and say "well we had them last year"; they will find a lot of empty seats. We answer to the almighty dollar. Most people's credit cards are tapped out. Fans can use cash to go 3 to 4 hundred miles but it takes a big swipe of a credit card to go a thousand miles for a bowl.
I think this is what may prevent us from going to cotton. It'd be great for the program but it would be hard for a lot of people to attend. The fact that it's on a Friday doesn't help
Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #131
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

TBS reported tonight that as of right now, the Cotton is trending upwards and the Outback is trending downwards.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #132
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
TBS reported tonight that as of right now, the Cotton is trending upwards and the Outback is trending downwards.
someone fairly high up in the athletic department told me today it's "probably" going to be Cap One.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #133
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I see your point a bit, but I don't think "casual" fans go to the bowl games anyhow for the most part. When I say that, I mean the fans who might go to 1 or 2 home games per year looking for a good ticket deal and package overall. Nothing wrong with that, but they aren't really the type the makes the trip to a bowl game.

The ones who do...they can or seem to budget for it, or at least I do. I leave plans open for that time of year and budget November and December out to where I can make it happen if I want...it really isn't a "wait and see" or "maybe I will go" type thing.

As I mentioned earlier, I can fly roundtrip from Tampa to DFW for about $270. Saw where you can do ATL to DFW for under $250 as well.

People make a lot of stupid purchases during the Christmas season and buy gifts for way too many people than necessary to keep up with the Jones' or buy because someone else did for them. Until I put my foot down, my girlfriend was expected to buy for her aunts, uncles, mom and dad, and her brother and sister PLUS their children. That is ridiculous, I'm not Santa Claus. Just depends on where you like to spend your $.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #134
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

Quote:
someone fairly high up in the athletic department told me today it's "probably" going to be Cap One.
I would vomit.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #135
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Quote:
That would be sweet. Need a change of scenery. Everything I'm reading though says LSU is the favorite.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #136
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
That is interesting. Schools are mathematically chosen by bowl commitees. I think bowl commities better take in to account the recession is still in full swing. A thousand miles is a long way for a bowl game.
just another reason for us not getting a Cotton Bowl invite....
Old 12-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #137
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
I would vomit.
Really. The biggest non-BCS bowl would make u vomit? My how we have become spoiled.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #138
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
I would vomit.
why.....it's been 2 years and they have the highest payout other than BCS games....and it's the closest to Columbia.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #139
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

Quote:
Really. The biggest non-BCS bowl would make u vomit? My how we have become spoiled.
Quote:
why.....it's been 2 years and they have the highest payout other than BCS games....and it's the closest to Columbia.
The C1B would be a boring bowl in a boring stadium in a boring city against a boring Big Ten team on a boring network.

The Cotton bowl would be a new bowl in an AWESOME new stadium in a new city on a new network against a new opponent from a new conference. We played 10/12 games this year on an ESPN/ABC affiliate, and 33/35 bowl games are on an ESPN/ABC affiliate. Let's play a game on FOX for a change.

I've said it before, I'll say it again-there is nothing anyone can possibly do to get me excited about playing a bowl game in Tampa or Orlando.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #140
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
The C1B would be a boring bowl in a boring stadium in a boring city against a boring Big Ten team on a boring network.

The Cotton bowl would be a new bowl in an AWESOME new stadium in a new city on a new network against a new opponent from a new conference. We played 10/12 games this year on an ESPN/ABC affiliate, and 33/35 bowl games are on an ESPN/ABC affiliate. Let's play a game on FOX for a change.

I've said it before, I'll say it again-there is nothing anyone can possibly do to get me excited about playing a bowl game in Tampa or Orlando.
what happens if our ticket allocation for the Cotton Bowl is 20,000 and we only sell 12,000.....we lose money on the trip....can't afford for that to happen or take the risk.
Closed Thread