CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
roosterdude21
Cockypantherfan
Lalli25
sporkgod50
i29gman
Spur's Addiction
Gyle41386
qcgamecock
F4rpoole
Thenardier
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1839)
The #AskEmmert Q& (596)
Stadium Ratings-Site (465)
Peach Bowl name retu (295)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (293)
Construction of Worl (293)
Save Electricity By (247)
HELP calculating acr (214)
NBA Wants to Up Age (162)
How Experienced In P (146)
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Jameis Winston's Accuser
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
2015 - Tommy Hatton
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
2015 - Davon Durant
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is

Old 12-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #21
mUSCle
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
mUSCle is learning to peckmUSCle is learning to peck
Default Re: Acock's Wrap Up: Clemson

Very Well said. I am 46 and when you said, "This was the time period that I grew up, probably becoming a serious Gamecock fan around 1978 or so when I was 8 years old. I've had to endure losing streaks, dealing with their entitled, ignorant fanbase, and seeing them win a bought national title that would be stripped from them in our modern enforcement climate." I can totally relate.

I lived in Cayce at the time. I have since lived in Charleston and now I reside in Greer. However, I think the taters in Columbia are the worst in the state. I guess being in Columbia they feel they have something to prove. Anyway, life in the upstete has been glorious, especially the last 5 years. No tater flags, no talking junk, just submission. Some of them are actually starting to accept that we have passed them.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Well said in the wrap up.
Didn't get what we wanted to start the season (SEC title appearance and possible win) but this team battled to get 10 wins and set itself up for a nice bowl game (Capital One I'm hoping).

I'm very optimistic about the defense next year, even though we lose Clowney, Quarles, Hampton and Legree.

Also, I think our offense will be more pro-style next year under Thompson..love Connor, but as you said, he missed a lot of wide open TEs that Dylan seems to do a better job finding.

If Dylan can get a little more consistent with his play, and improve his accuracy..we could be seeing one of the best, if not the best, offenses in USC history.
With weapons such as Ellington, Bryd, an emerging Roland, Adams, Anderson, Wilds, Davis and a wildcard like Cooper, the playmakers are there.

If the Oline only loses Patrick, it will again have the potential to be good.
If Dylan improves, and I think he will, look out.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #23
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mUSCle View Post
Very Well said. I am 46 and when you said, "This was the time period that I grew up, probably becoming a serious Gamecock fan around 1978 or so when I was 8 years old. I've had to endure losing streaks, dealing with their entitled, ignorant fanbase, and seeing them win a bought national title that would be stripped from them in our modern enforcement climate." I can totally relate.

I lived in Cayce at the time. I have since lived in Charleston and now I reside in Greer. However, I think the taters in Columbia are the worst in the state. I guess being in Columbia they feel they have something to prove. Anyway, life in the upstete has been glorious, especially the last 5 years. No tater flags, no talking junk, just submission. Some of them are actually starting to accept that we have passed them.
I came around in 1996 as a young un, and saw Carolina beat Clemson. But I wouldn't see it again until 2001, and then not again until 2006.
And I had that defeatist attitude.
Now, I expect to beat them.

My lifetime Carolina is 8-10 against Clemson.

I'm hoping we can tie that 7-game streak and get my record to .500 over the next two season, because I'm expecting Clemosn to be down next year (8 wins possibly).
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I'd give the OL a B. They faced 8 in the box and safeties up most of the game. The pass protection was actually pretty good, again considering what they faced. We had at least ten chances to get TE throws with a checkoff because they were playing so flat. I supposed Spurrier left those inside runs on hoping Davis would bust past coontain and go long.
I think the LB's and Spur salvaged the C with heads-up play in underneath coverage (2 picks) after missing some tackles and not spying Boyd on fakes. Counting Pharoah's play with RB's or QB's gives either position a boost.
I know people hate being called out, but, you are wrong. Clemmers played two high safeties 99% of our offensive snaps. I would give the OL a "D". I'm an OL coach, there is not much about football I can't figure out. I know this, when you have two high safeties, like the tiggers did Saturday night, you ought to be able to run the football, because you have numbers in the box. This is precisely the reason we started utilizing Shaw on designed runs, not just zone reads, b/c by doing that, we gain an extra blocker (RB). I will agree we had TE's open, but it wasn't in the flat it was over the middle, where the two deep safeties split.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
5150harley
Sandlapper Pools

Male

5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material

Very Good!

Old 12-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #26
St. Louis Gamecock
Walk On

Male

St. Louis Gamecock has earned his spursSt. Louis Gamecock has earned his spursSt. Louis Gamecock has earned his spursSt. Louis Gamecock has earned his spursSt. Louis Gamecock has earned his spursSt. Louis Gamecock has earned his spurs

Excellent, excellent post!!!

As an older guy (58), my first Clem game was 1979 (a glorious 13-9 win!). But over the years I have seen mediocre Clem teams beat good Carolina teams (1980 comes first to mind) while rarely does an average Carolina team beat a good Clem team. That defeatist attitude came from years of experience. But it was just not Clem. It was Pacific, Hawaii, Furman, App State and the Citadel.

Nowadays, though, I am confident every time we step on the field. And that’s an attitude that will stay for years to come.

It was tough after leaving the ACC (glad we did, though), but we are making our mark in the SEC and what great times these are. A quiet confidence has bloomed within the university, the players and the fan base.

Glorious times indeed! Sit back and enjoy.
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #27
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra742002 View Post
I know people hate being called out, but, you are wrong. Clemmers played two high safeties 99% of our offensive snaps. I would give the OL a "D". I'm an OL coach, there is not much about football I can't figure out. I know this, when you have two high safeties, like the tiggers did Saturday night, you ought to be able to run the football, because you have numbers in the box. This is precisely the reason we started utilizing Shaw on designed runs, not just zone reads, b/c by doing that, we gain an extra blocker (RB). I will agree we had TE's open, but it wasn't in the flat it was over the middle, where the two deep safeties split.
Well said. I didn't grade out to a D just because the pass protection was passable against a very good Clemson rush. There was no excuse for us not opening up lanes for Davis though. We did a poor job against their interior.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #28
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra742002 View Post
Clemmers played two high safeties 99% of our offensive snaps. I would give the OL a "D".
I agree with Acock 99% on his, what I see as a, GREAT POST!

But the OL was abysmal Saturday night. We are HUGE, talented, and experienced across the front and our guys got pushed into our backfield all night long. I expected our OL to win this game for us with ease, but they nearly cost us the game. In an ironic twist, clemson's trying to stop Connor Shaw really worked to set him up to win the game for us. Their defensive tactics played into Shaw's strengths and he did NOT disappoint.

The fact remains though that their defensive line should have been pushed by our OL through Charleston and into the Atlantic. Instead, they lived in our backfield all night long. At some point, we need to just push inferior lines backwards and forget the fancy stuff. Last Sat night was one of those times.

I also want to show some appreciation for brat. I have been reading his posts for over a decade now. He and I don't always see things the same way, but I have a great deal of respect for him and his posts. He has more experience and knowledge about our program than all but a few that post anywhere on the www. That gives him insight that few of us can have when looking at our program. I have been attending games at W-B since 1979, but brat (and a poster not seen much lately, teddykohncock) is the MAN.

Acock is as well with these weekly 'wrap ups'. I love reading these each week and this week, he posted a monster even by his standards.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #29
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

Clemson had 8-9 men in the box all night esp when we were in the I. I was glad we threw the pass with Pharaoh because we could have all day.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #30
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Below are some shots from throughout the game. Clemson used the same approach to stopping the run they did at Georgia (but Murray sucked at making them pay that night). Only the sweep broke long, and they mostly contained Georgia's run game. They tried it against Fl State and got killed by long passes and QB runs. They did it against NC State with better results. Ga Tec, even more so. Citadel, to the max. Except for Gurley's 75 yard TD, we got about the same rushing yards as any of these teams did. Shaw made them pay with the pass and some good QB runs - except for a couple of drops, 2 overthrows, and Shaq's denied catch, he would have killed them. The alignments below are a lot of what I saw.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #31
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Thanks. But what is the orange crush?

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #32
JoeCock
4-Star

JoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Thanks. But what is the orange crush?
That ia exactly the point. For many years, we would get to 5 wins and have to get into a stretch of Tenn(Fulmer Coached), Florida (Spurrier Coached) & Clemson, getting out butts kicked by those three teams.
Usually, we would go into the Clemson game needing a win for Bowl elegibility. More times than not, we failed.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #33
CockyMBA
Recruit

Male

CockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his claws

The ending to this. EPIC.
CockyMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #34
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Another cool point I think ACock pointed out is the intangibles. A team that pulled it together. A few weeks ago, imagine a MLB popping Boyd onto his back on a delayed blitz up the middle. Two LB's breaking on balls and snaring them from dropback coverage. Players who went through the SEC grind playing through injuries and stalling a high-powered offense. Pouncing on a couple of fumbles, and ripping out another. Taking the confidence right out of Clemson's play. Those intangibles added a lot to the outcome of the game - in our favor.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:24 AM   #35
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Yeah, this team was something.

Other than the UT game, they just simply found a way to win. Sometimes it was defense, sometimes it was Shaw, sometimes it was Davis...they just gutted it out.

These guys expect to win, and never quit.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #36
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

ra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Below are some shots from throughout the game. Clemson used the same approach to stopping the run they did at Georgia (but Murray sucked at making them pay that night). Only the sweep broke long, and they mostly contained Georgia's run game. They tried it against Fl State and got killed by long passes and QB runs. They did it against NC State with better results. Ga Tec, even more so. Citadel, to the max. Except for Gurley's 75 yard TD, we got about the same rushing yards as any of these teams did. Shaw made them pay with the pass and some good QB runs - except for a couple of drops, 2 overthrows, and Shaq's denied catch, he would have killed them. The alignments below are a lot of what I saw.
the first pic there has to be 2 deep safeties. We had 70 something snaps and you found 3 pics where there weren't 2 deep safeties. You proved my point for me. Thank you. go back and look at down and distance on those plays. Most probably short yardage situations or 1st downs and they are expecting runs. Regardless, Clemson played a 2 deep shell the majority of the game. We have no excuse for not being able to run against them, except that they whipped us up front.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #37
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Fantastic read, Thank you.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote