CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Roosterdog
F4rpoole
GoldenSpur7
fridayserv
Lalli25
CockTail
gamecock88
Yearofthegamecock
B-G
JaxcockFL
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1154)
Byron the bunny...fe (541)
The #AskEmmert Q& (454)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
Shameless self promo (301)
One thing I was glad (168)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (145)
Peach Bowl name retu (143)
Save Electricity By (71)
Construction of Worl (62)
What is your perfect egg?
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Kelcy and Vic questioned
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
Amazon Fire TV
Where will we be preseaso
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
2014 Gamecock Football Po

Old 11-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0
Default Mashed Taters

Some years ago, while I still lived in Columbia, my wife's sister came to spend a weekend with us. So I decided to cook a good meal for all of us. Anyways I made some mashed potatoes the same way my family had done it for years, and thought there was nothing special about that recipe. (I still don't think there's anything special about it.) Anyways she loved the potatoes so I made them for the rest of the in-laws, and they loved them. I have recited the recipe many times, and each time I'm accused of holding something back. (It seems none of them have been able to replicate it, for whatever reason.) Ever since then, anytime we're having a family gathering, I am expected to make the potatoes for everyone.

So in honor of gameday with the taters, I am consuming my leftover mashed taters. The recipe is as follows:

1 five pound bag of red potatoes
1 8oz container of sour cream
2 1/2 sticks of butter
milk (sometimes needed, most times not)
salt to taste

Chop up the potatoes into small pieces. I leave the skins on, but it's up to the cook really. Place them in a big pot, and boil them in salty water until they're soft. Drain off the water, toss in the butter and sour cream, and mash with a hand masher until the desired consistency is met. If you need to thin them out a little, add in some milk a little at a time until they are how you like them. Do a taste test for salt. Add more if necessary.

That's it! Enjoy!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Mashed Taters

The only thing I could think of to improve them is to
slap about three touchdowns and two field goals on those taters to be perfect.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
princetim2000
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
princetim2000 has hatched from the shell

My recipe is as follows:
One dose of shaw sprinkle in some mike davis and a heaping dose of clowney
princetim2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I like the deeper flavor of using skin on reds but some peeps seem to like the starchy russet mashes.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I like the deeper flavor of using skin on reds but some peeps seem to like the starchy russet mashes.
Yeah I'm the same way. I also like having bits of un-mashed potato in there as well.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I frequently add other roots to the mash like celeriac, sunchoke, and turnip.

#ModForMod
Old 11-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I frequently add other roots to the mash like celeriac, sunchoke, and turnip.
I've been wanting to try adding a little parsnip, but I'll have to save that for a small batch just in case it doesn't turn out well.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Add some of this truffle goat cheese to the taters and finis it with a drizzle or spray of truffle oil! http://www.cypressgrovechevre.com/ou...l#.UpoT31J3t9A

#ModForMod
Old 12-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29799800
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Only improvement I make is adding some roasted garlic to the taters.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
markp_vip
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

I don't like to mash them up too much. I just use a spoon and turn them over about six times.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
tpep
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
tpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudlytpep is crowing loudly

i thought this was an orangebowl review/prediction
tpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Ole Gregg
make an assessment

Male

CockyCash: 7043011
Ole Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot material

I hear Ray has a good twice baked tater recipe he picked up in Omaha.
w
\.
" Are you playing your love games with me? "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIInySnQe4I
Ole Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
HardRockCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 9998250
HardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
I don't like to mash them up too much. I just use a spoon and turn them over about six times.
I see what you did there!
HardRockCock is offline   Reply With Quote