CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Thenardier
rosstheboss
Spurticus
WeStillOwnUSC
CWall2001
3MTA3
b381l
bigdog2003
hyoung912
c0ckkn0cker
2001 vs Sandstorm (1210)
**USC vs. USC-Upstat (1102)
Cunningham wants to (610)
Purple drank (457)
Horseshoes has been (232)
Clemson Georgia Game (232)
ESPN article on Clow (188)
Fumble party (171)
1964 World’s Fair (141)
Softball tops Georgi (139)
2001 vs Sandstorm
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
Bianca Cuevas - 2014 WBB
Season Rankings Thread...
Cunningham wants to hear
Acock reviews the SEC Net
Softball tops Georgia Sou
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Name a Gamecock

Old 12-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Coaching Changes?

Does anyone think the HBC will replace anyone of the staff that isn't hired away? Is Deke's job safe? Did he do enough to keep his job? How about Joe Robinson?

Also, if Whammy does leave and I hope he doesn't, would we promote a current asst or look elsewhere?

Will we lose more coaches this off-season and if so, who do you think will take another job elsewhere?
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
henmania
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit
Default Re: Coaching Changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Does anyone think the HBC will replace anyone of the staff that isn't hired away? Is Deke's job safe? Did he do enough to keep his job? How about Joe Robinson?

Also, if Whammy does leave and I hope he doesn't, would we promote a current asst or look elsewhere?

Will we lose more coaches this off-season and if so, who do you think will take another job elsewhere?

From what I have heard, no one is being fired. I am also not aware of anyone in danger of being snatched away. I understand some schools are interested in Ward as DC but he has indicated he won't make a lateral move. I haven't heard his name mentioned as a HC.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
From what I have heard, no one is being fired. I am also not aware of anyone in danger of being snatched away. I understand some schools are interested in Ward as DC but he has indicated he won't make a lateral move. I haven't heard his name mentioned as a HC.
I would like to see the staff stay in place, but realistically speaking, I expect a couple changes.

I would like to see Joe R. have another year in the system. His special team's at LSU were awesome, maybe he just needs a few more starters on ST's to help.

I'm not quite sold on Deke, but he definitely earned another year in my opinion.

I hope we can keep Jr and Elliott on staff, but I have a hunch they will get some very appealing offers in the next couple of weeks/ months. Both seem like they would make great OC's. Could we see Spurrier give one of them the OC label, to keep them on board?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
uscGRAD04
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

I think Deke is safe. He's a pretty good recruiter from what I hear.
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

if he does label one oc, I hope its Elliot. no offense to jr but if we could only keep one I'd want elliot
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gamecockfb View Post
if he does label one oc, I hope its Elliot. no offense to jr but if we could only keep one I'd want elliot
I do wonder how much longer Jr. will work for his father.

Florida and Wake are already looking for positions to be filled and since Franklin was a candidate for the socal job, I expect him to get more offers. Especially with the rape scandal they have going on in Nashville. He might be thinking it's time to get out of dodge before the crap hits the fan.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

This might be the year we lose Mangus, IMO.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Also I'm semi-certain that Elliott and Bubba have OC in their titles.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I think Whammy needs another year or three to get good head coaching offers. He's only been a DC for two seasons now and its not like we sucked on defense when he took over. Also, he has about as sweet a gig as you can get as a DC, with the HBC pretty much totally focused on offense and golf, he's basically the assistant head coach. Hopefully everyone will hang in here. They should give mangus a raise since they had to skip him last time for the incident. All the defensive guys deserve raises too except deke who is a newbie. Sands also probably deserves one.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Also I'm semi-certain that Elliott and Bubba have OC in their titles.
You are absolutely correct, I forgot about their titles.

And yes, Mangus just might get a lucrative offer.

What a bonus it would be if we can keep everyone on board at least one more year.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Carolina Pride
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
That would be a huge loss
Old 12-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
YankeeGamecock
4-Star

Male

YankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his comb

Quote:
If Georgia Tech cans Paul Johnson, I think he would 100% interview for it. I doubt he would get it though.
YankeeGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Everyone will be retained that wants to be.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Ward-Can't see him leaving yet. Heck, if he stays he could be the next head coach when spurrier retires.

Brown-Can't see him leaving either. Still a young coach, and has no exerience on the major college level outside of us.

Botkin-No way this guy leaves after Whammy brought him back to the college ranks.

Adams- With the D improving, I think Adams is safe for another year...how the young guys progress through the summer into next year will be telling of his coaching ability.

On offense:
Mangus-I could see it. Wake needs a new coach, and I think Mangus would fit there. Could he go be the OC at Florida? Out of all our coaches, I think Mangus is the most likely to be snatched up.

Sands-Can't see him leaving, but you never know.

Elliott-Can't see him leaving, but money talks. Seems like a guy that this is where he wants to be, and like Ward, could be the next coach after Spurrier retires (at least could be the OC officially).

Spurrier Jr.-Again, don't think he goes anywhere, but how long does he want to be under his dad? Does he want to go and make his own name. I can't see him taking the OC job at Florida, and I can't see him being a HC yet. Only way I see him go anywhere is as an OC.

Robinson-Could be a guy I see we relieve of his duties. Special teams really didn't improve much this year, but I think he did discover Elliott Fry
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Pride View Post
That would be a huge loss
Not just in coaching...but recruiting, especially in the Northeast (don't think we get Kaiwan Lewis, Damiere Byrd, Brendan Nosovitch or David Williams without Mangus).
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #16
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Mangus is only two seasons away from the incident though. I think that he might need a longer while to rehab the image and demonstrate stability. He's the kind of guy that would get a good offer when we win a title.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Mangus is only two seasons away from the incident though. I think that he might need a longer while to rehab the image and demonstrate stability. He's the kind of guy that would get a good offer when we win a title.
I'm hoping this is the attitude that all our asst's have. Win the SEC at SC and wait for your dream job.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
You are absolutely correct, I forgot about their titles.

And yes, Mangus just might get a lucrative offer.

What a bonus it would be if we can keep everyone on board at least one more year.

I think Mangus needs another year to pass from his arrest before he gets serious offers to move. I could be wrong but that incident has cost him.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
TaiwanCock
Walk On

Male

TaiwanCock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Could he go be the OC at Florida?
I can't see that happening. High reward (if Muschamp can fix things), but high risk (that coaching seat is hot as heck right now).
TaiwanCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #20
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiwanCock View Post
I can't see that happening. High reward (if Muschamp can fix things), but high risk (that coaching seat is hot as heck right now).
Interesting that Muscamp also fires his OL coach.

But no way Mangus gets that job. Clay Helton and Neil Calloway are front runners for those positions.

Last edited by Travelin; 12-03-2013 at 01:06 PM.