CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
Thenardier
SanAntonioCock
Spurticus
Bobby Boucher
MACXIMVS
rdwylie
JerseyBird
uscgamecocks88
MWard
Sindarius Thornwell (976)
Chicago ND fan/SEC b (701)
Well gameday just go (500)
Happy Birthday, Coac (450)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (398)
Your most famous twi (331)
Unsung Hero (256)
South Carolina @ Aub (251)
Softball takes final (158)
Athlon Ranks the SEC (150)
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
Athlon Ranks the SEC's QB
17 Ridiculous Kitchen Gad
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Season Rankings Thread...
Sindarius Thornwell Draft
Connor Mitch

Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #141
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material
Default Re: Is Dylan a lock for being our starting QB next season?

I dont think Dylan is a lock though I'm a big fan of his being that my wife is from his hometown. In his defense, I think last year the early games against East Carolina and UAB gave Dylan consistent reps and confidence. This year he didnt get any consistent reps outside of the second half UCF and three quarters of the Mizzou game where he struggled. I'm fine with him getting the starting job but I don't think Mitch and Nos are going to concede it easily.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #142
DBjr
Walk On

Male

DBjr has feathers coming inDBjr has feathers coming inDBjr has feathers coming in

IMO,Nos starts............just a hunch
DBjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #143
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBjr View Post
IMO,Nos starts............just a hunch
Guess this where that next season who is who thread starts.. im going with Connor Mitch.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #144
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
also, are you counting rushing touchdowns in your analysis of how often his passes resulted in touchdowns? You probably want to re thing that analysis.

The actual numbers are:
89 attemps to get 4 tds (22.25 attempts per td) in 2013
127 attempts to get 10 tds (12.7 attemps per td) in 2012

and

89 attemps to get 3 ints (29.7 attempts per int) in 2013
127 attempts to get 2 ints (63.5 attempts per int) in 2012

Wow you do make a powerful argument!
Not an argument and yes I included rushing TD's as they would be scores, I also included fumbles lost as turnovers as they would be turnovers. I see no argument to have when discussing if Thompson was better this year or last year, nothing good comes from it and it is pointless as they are not comparing apples to apples IMO I believe Dylan will be the starter and will have a very good year since he knows the offense, will have spent a spring, summer and fall practicing with the 1st team and getting in sync with the receivers, not to mention the talent we should have on the OL. The only debate I would have with your comments or opinion of him playing terrible against mizz.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #145
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Too early to make a prediction or name my favorite but I think even if Dylan is the front runner, he is not a lock. I think if Mitch or Nossovich come on strong and impress the HBC anything is possible.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #146
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
Too early to make a prediction or name my favorite but I think even if Dylan is the front runner, he is not a lock. I think if Mitch or Nossovich come on strong and impress the HBC anything is possible.
With SOS as coach, there's no question that there Dylan starting isn't a stone cold lock. If Mitch or Nosovitch outperform him, SOS won't hesitate to pull that trigger.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #147
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodCocky View Post
It will be a great off season to see who our next QB will be. Spurrier has said many times his philosophy on starters is that it is their job until they lose it. See Garcia! Or when a position has not been filled with a clear cut starter it is up for grabs. Spurrier said that Dylan is not the starting QB and whoever proves themselves worthy will be the starter. Dylan has only started in the place of Shaw only when Shaw was hurt. This year Shaw had to come in the Missouri game to save it.

Dylan will start out the same as everyone else. The only thing he has over the rest is more game experience. Who knows how it will turn out a walk on could come in and take over if Spurrier thinks he has what it takes to win games.

Think I'm wrong call Spurrier yourself and see what he says. I bet it would sound pretty familiar to the above.
I did...privately it's DT job to lose.....publicly it's an even competition.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #148
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97410000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
Not an argument and yes I included rushing TD's as they would be scores, I also included fumbles lost as turnovers as they would be turnovers. I see no argument to have when discussing if Thompson was better this year or last year, nothing good comes from it and it is pointless as they are not comparing apples to apples IMO I believe Dylan will be the starter and will have a very good year since he knows the offense, will have spent a spring, summer and fall practicing with the 1st team and getting in sync with the receivers, not to mention the talent we should have on the OL. The only debate I would have with your comments or opinion of him playing terrible against mizz.
but you divided by passing attempts and you cant run for a td on a passing attempt so your analysis is innately flawed. the proper analysis shows his passing stats regressed. if you want to include rushing touchdowns then you need to divide by pass attempts plus carries. and you disagreed with my statement that his skills had regressed.

Last edited by sporkgod50; 12-03-2013 at 02:05 AM. Reason: spelling and accuracy
sporkgod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #149
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

I'm a big believer in maximizing production to eligibility years. If Mitch is the guy going forward (he is) then he should start next season. I wouldn't want him being a junior and still learning on the job.

We got 2.5 years out of Shaw as the starter, so hopefully we can get a full 3 out of Mitch.

I think Dylan can be very good, but I'm not sure it's worth sacrificing another year of Mitch's eligibility.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #150
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

If it means winning a championship it is. Connor would be a RS Soph with a little bit of game experience going into 2015.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #151
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

I don't think starting Dylan equates to winning a national championship.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #152
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

*SEC Championship

and he gives us the best opportunity. He is a 5th year senior, works hard, knows the offense, and has shown he can be a very good passer. Does he need to develop consistency? Sure does, but he gets one more offseason with Spurrier/Mangus to sharpen up.

Spurrier is not going to hold the offense back with an inexperienced QB right off the bat especially with opening games against aTm and Georgia. HOME games at that. Dylan will have to play himself out of the starting job or USC is going to have to play itself out of the SEC East race for the youth movement to begin.

You guys don't remember how much Connor Shaw struggled his 1/2 season as the starter? His sub 100 yard passing performances? WITH Alshon Jeffery I might add. Spurrier isn't going to put the team in that situation next year. Not when he has a veteran and a ridiculous amount of talent returning.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #153
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
If Connor Mitch starts we will not be in trouble.
You mean if the current 5th string QB starts next year we aren't in trouble?

1Shaw
2Cooper
3Thompson
4Nosovitch
5Mitch
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #154
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
but you divided by passing attempts and you cant run for a td on a passing attempt so your analysis is innately flawed. the proper analysis shows his passing stats regressed. if you want to include rushing touchdowns then you need to divide by pass attempts plus carries. and you disagreed with my statement that his skills had regressed.
I have explained enough to you, in one of your posts you said Dylan will start next year so let it go, I disagree that he played bad against mizz as you said and disagree he regressed this year compared to last since it is impossible to compare them. Innately flawed would have you throw out the INT Thompson threw on 4th and 28 to end the 1st half against ucf since you would not punt with no time on the clock....little things like that skew stats same as running a QB sweep for a TD instead of throwing it so I include those scores as well as fumbles in my analysis that you call innately flawed....I'm curious what you think made Thompson go from the QB you enjoyed and I watched wax clemsux in clemsux to what you call a regressed QB in 12 months?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #155
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
*SEC Championship

and he gives us the best opportunity. He is a 5th year senior, works hard, knows the offense, and has shown he can be a very good passer. Does he need to develop consistency? Sure does, but he gets one more offseason with Spurrier/Mangus to sharpen up.

Spurrier is not going to hold the offense back with an inexperienced QB right off the bat especially with opening games against aTm and Georgia. HOME games at that. Dylan will have to play himself out of the starting job or USC is going to have to play itself out of the SEC East race for the youth movement to begin.

You guys don't remember how much Connor Shaw struggled his 1/2 season as the starter? His sub 100 yard passing performances? WITH Alshon Jeffery I might add. Spurrier isn't going to put the team in that situation next year. Not when he has a veteran and a ridiculous amount of talent returning.
^^^^This, you have to play consistently to become consistent, Thompson will be a very good QB after a spring, summer and fall as "the man", same as Shaw did!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #156
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
*SEC Championship

I agree. Many of the posters are forgetting that DT went 23-41 for 315 yards, three touchdowns and an interception against Clemson last year, AT Clemson. He hasn't lost that ability. He just hasn't had as many chances this year.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #157
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
I don't think starting Dylan equates to winning a national championship.
I didn't see the need to keep reading after the 3rd word in this post.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #158
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
You mean if the current 5th string QB starts next year we aren't in trouble?

1Shaw
2Cooper
3Thompson
4Nosovitch
5Mitch

That is a pretty lame attempt. If anything you should have put Orht at #4
Old 12-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #159
kabercr2
4-Star

Male

kabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his claws

I can see were people get the growing pains deal from. How many growing pains did Johnny Manziel and Jameis Winston have over the past couple of years though? Now be it that Connor Mitch may not be as athletic as those two. Wouldnt it be better to put Connor Mitch in there with a bucnch of experienced guys than completely starting brand new with everyone in 2015? That way when 2015 comes Mitch will be an experienced guy leading the young guns. Also as someone else posted earlier I dont think Steve Spurrier brought Connor Mitch in to sit on the bench, he was the hand chosen one by Spurrier and I think that speeks volume.
kabercr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #160
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
I agree. Many of the posters are forgetting that DT went 23-41 for 315 yards, three touchdowns and an interception against Clemson last year, AT Clemson. He hasn't lost that ability. He just hasn't had as many chances this year.
One of the best Gamecock QB performances I've seen in Death Valley.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote