CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
RGHoskins
ccured
sporkgod50
b381l
robgusc76
GoldenSpur7
NJGCfan
MountainCock
Spurrier_Superior_On
Mangus now coaching (1539)
Can Tennessee get to (1087)
2 Crazy things (661)
ESPN Article on HBC (656)
Chick Redefines the (636)
Spread vs. aTm (598)
Lindy's top 100 for (557)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (550)
The Bama series (456)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (454)
2001 vs Sandstorm
2015 - Davon Durant
2015 - Auden Tate
2016 - Issac Nauta
Mangus now coaching TEs
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Lindy's top 100 for 2010

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #221
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cap one, cotton, or outback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Taylor View Post
The Cotton Bowl is a de facto BCS Bowl game, the home of the best football stadium on the planet, and will host the first BCSNCG in the playoff era.

The Capital One Bowl is named after a crappy credit card company is a stone's throw from the House of Mouse.

When I think of prestigious bowls, one that uses a Baldwin brother in its ad campaigns is not what comes to mind folks. If you can't afford the trip like me, then stay your ass home and watch it on tv. FOX airs it and quite frankly, I'd rather watch Gus Johnson have a footballgasm every minute than watch another one of our games on ESPN2 competing for attention with 4 other bowl games at the same time because The Mothership wants to keep up the allusion that the Rose Bowl is still a big deal in this day and age.

In short, screw Orlando, give me Dallas.
Let's be friends.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #222
Rooster Booster
Pastor of Disaster

Male

CockyCash: 500
Rooster Booster has feathers coming inRooster Booster has feathers coming in

Capital One is the highest-paying non-BCS bowl (around $4.5 million) and is located in the vacation capital of the world. Cotton would be awesome, but let's not act like going to Cap One is a slap in the face.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Wooooo!" - Ric Flair
Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #223
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

I still like the potential of a matchup with Duke in Atlanta. It's a good story with Spurrier and is one of the few games with no other TV conflicts.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #224
Tim Taylor
Banned

Male

Tim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Booster View Post
Capital One is the highest-paying non-BCS bowl (around $4.5 million) and is located in the vacation capital of the world. Cotton would be awesome, but let's not act like going to Cap One is a slap in the face.

All of that bowl money is put into a pool by the SEC and then redistributed anyways. Orlando is called the vacation capital of the world because of Disney. I have no problem with Disney, but let's be honest, who the hell wants to mix in the House of Mouse at the end of the year with a prime college football matchup? Besides, if we go to the Cotton Bowl, we'll get to play a Big 12 team worth a shit. If we go to the Big Ten, we'll play some Big Ten POS and have to deal with their shenanigans like we did with Nebraska and then Michigan.

**** the Big Ten and their pasty ass annoying fans.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #225
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
I still like the potential of a matchup with Duke in Atlanta. It's a good story with Spurrier and is one of the few games with no other TV conflicts.
We just roughed up 1 Cupcake Conference team, I have no interest in roughing up another unless we play FSU and that isn't going to happen. Don't want to play Big Ten either. Too boring.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #226
Rooster Booster
Pastor of Disaster

Male

Even redistributed, we'll at least get a little more from Cap One than we would from Cotton. Besides, if you're actually going to the bowl (which I am) the tickets to Cotton are more expensive. Economics, my friends.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #227
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
The Cotton Bowl is a de facto BCS Bowl game, the home of the best football stadium on the planet, and will host the first BCSNCG in the playoff era.

The Capital One Bowl is named after a crappy credit card company is a stone's throw from the House of Mouse.

When I think of prestigious bowls, one that uses a Baldwin brother in its ad campaigns is not what comes to mind folks. If you can't afford the trip like me, then stay your ass home and watch it on tv. FOX airs it and quite frankly, I'd rather watch Gus Johnson have a footballgasm every minute than watch another one of our games on ESPN2 competing for attention with 4 other bowl games at the same time because The Mothership wants to keep up the allusion that the Rose Bowl is still a big deal in this day and age.

In short, screw Orlando, give me Dallas.

I agree with all of this but 1.

The Rose Bowl is still a big deal in this age.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #228
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Ive been to the Rose Bowl a few times... If Carolina ever gets to go there... Ill definitely go.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #229
Tim Taylor
Banned

Male

Tim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Booster View Post
Even redistributed, we'll at least get a little more from Cap One than we would from Cotton. Besides, if you're actually going to the bowl (which I am) the tickets to Cotton are more expensive. Economics, my friends.

We'd get better exposure from the Cotton Bowl. We'd be on a National network in primetime vs. a noon- 1 pm kickoff with 3-4 other games at the same time on ESPN. If price is a problem for you like it is for me, then I have a simple suggestion: Stay home. The Cotton Bowl is what is better for the program. Better matchup, more prestige, and more exposure. Beating the piss out of Wisconsin or Iowa does nothing for our program this year or next. Beating the piss out of Baylor/Texas/Oklahoma does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
I agree with all of this but 1.

The Rose Bowl is still a big deal in this age.
Yeah it's still a big deal, but not as big of a deal as ESPN would lead you to believe. Its ratings get touted all the time. Well no shit it has good ratings. You put it on ABC in the middle of the day with no other games on. Meanwhile, earlier on New Year's Day, you have anywhere from 4-5 games being played at once, usually with far more interesting matchups.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #230
Rooster Booster
Pastor of Disaster

Male

Wow, Carolina fans telling other Carolina fans to stay home for a bowl. Gotta recuse myself on that one.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #231
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
We'd get better exposure from the Cotton Bowl. We'd be on a National network in primetime vs. a noon- 1 pm kickoff with 3-4 other games at the same time on ESPN. If price is a problem for you like it is for me, then I have a simple suggestion: Stay home. The Cotton Bowl is what is better for the program. Better matchup, more prestige, and more exposure. Beating the piss out of Wisconsin or Iowa does nothing for our program this year or next. Beating the piss out of Baylor/Texas/Oklahoma does.

Yeah it's still a big deal, but not as big of a deal as ESPN would lead you to believe. Its ratings get touted all the time. Well no shit it has good ratings. You put it on ABC in the middle of the day with no other games on. Meanwhile, earlier on New Year's Day, you have anywhere from 4-5 games being played at once, usually with far more interesting matchups.
I used to have the same opinion as you until I moved out of the south, as well as went to the game.
People in the big northeastern markets generally don't give a shit about college football, unless it's the Rose Bowl.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #232
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Wow I am seeing different projections all over the place. I've seen Cotton, CapOne, ChikFilA, and Outback. Most recent was ChickFilA against Miami (that'd be a BEAT DOWN and it would continue our recent streak of beating powerhouses in bowl games)
Old 12-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #233
Tim Taylor
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
I used to have the same opinion as you until I moved out of the south, as well as went to the game.
People in the big northeastern markets generally don't give a shit about college football, unless it's the Rose Bowl.

Depends on what you mean by northeast. Folks in NYC, Boston, and Philly don't care about college football much at all. Now in the more midwest area of say Ohio, middle to western Pennslyvania, Michigan, Illinois, and Indiana, then yeah they do care.

The Rose Bowl is banking on 2 cities carrying its water: LA and Chicago. Chicago is to the Big Ten what Atlanta is to the SEC. Ditto for LA and the Pac 12.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #234
gsgp
Blue Chip

Male

gsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talons

Outback , Bama,Miss and Auburn all above us A&M gets cotton or Missouri . Bama to Capital one , Auburn sugar , SC Outback . I enjoyed it last year hanging at at Ybor city .
Old 12-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #235
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 398687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

If auburn wins the sec we are going to the capital 1 bowl. For sure. the cap 1 has already talked with the sec and unlike last year they will not require them to take the secc loser(imagine that, they only do that for uga but not for the new guys) this is straight from family members on the bowl committee. They couldn't say hey we are taking Carolina if mizzzou loses but did say to root for auburn and for me to book my hotels, flights to orlando for new years. If auburn loses then it is really up to the cotton/outback to make a deal on who they want more. Don't shoot the messenger just what i hear.
-this is nothing new and people have said this all week but i've been waiting to hear from my family and something definite before saying so. This is the #1 sec bowl outside the bcs and we are the best sec team not in the bcs this year. It has a high payout but not the best tv slot.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #236
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgp View Post
Outback , Bama,Miss and Auburn all above us A&M gets cotton or Missouri . Bama to Capital one , Auburn sugar , SC Outback . I enjoyed it last year hanging at at Ybor city .
Please explain? Not sure how this will happen.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #237
DabosWeenie
Walk On

Male

DabosWeenie has hatched from the shell

Quote:
so you're saying only 1 SEC team in the BCS (Auburn) considering as of now Bama has and auto-bye??? Thats crazy talk
Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #238
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Bama will be in the BCS.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #239
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Also, we aren't going to end up in Tampa or Atlanta. It's either Dallas, or Orlando.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #240
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
If Alabama goes to the Capital One, I won't post on here for a month.
Closed Thread