CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
ReadR00ster
Singaporecock
sporkgod50
usc1
2000grad
ktguen
markp_vip
jrussjr
3MTA3
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Larenz Bryant update (876)
Hillsborough (540)
2015 - Chris Clark (473)
2016 - Greg Little (470)
Joeckel Transfering (466)
UK's Whitlow to tran (455)
Bamberg High School (311)
USC Tartan Unvieled (257)
Its April 15th and i (256)
A'ja Wilson
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
Jameis Winston's Accuser
purchasing football ticke
Need Bama-USC Tickets (Ba
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Larenz Bryant update?
MLS Atlanta
UK's Whitlow to transfer

Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
gamecockfinatic2007
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 125200
gamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gamecockfinatic2007
Default Mariota Bypassing Draft, Duck 1 more year

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-junior-season
gamecockfinatic2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Mariota Bypassing Draft, Duck 1 more year

I think with the poor end to the year plus there being guys like Manziel ahead of him already in this draft, it makes sense to come back.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Tim Taylor
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Tim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPit

There are only 3 pro teams that run offenses he would fit in (Eagles, Niners, and Skins). All three have their quarterbacks. Then again, you can always get an education. You can't always play in the NFL. Get paid son.
Tim Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Taylor View Post
There are only 3 pro teams that run offenses he would fit in (Eagles, Niners, and Skins). All three have their quarterbacks. Then again, you can always get an education. You can't always play in the NFL. Get paid son.
New coaches enter the NFL every year and change the offensive schemes of their team. I agree 3 coaches this year but by the time the NFL coaching carousel stops there may be more.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 200
InletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervous

good for him!
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think the teams you mentioned would be wise to draft him or guys like Manziel in the 3rd round so you have a back up who could run the same system as the starter, if they go down. If you want to run the QB than you should treat them like RBs and draft a guy every 3-4 years so you can use them as interchangeable parts. I am not saying everyone is equal or would work out but I bet it would work pretty well like the late round RBs have proven to work.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
Tim Taylor
Banned

Male

Tim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPit

Well for one, Manziel isn't going to drop down to the third round.

For two, Quarterbacks have never and will never be interchangeable parts like backs. If they were, then they wouldn't be getting paid the most money in the NFL.

For three, the NFL has 53 roster spots. Most teams only carry two active quarterbacks and then an emergency one.

Hell I was being generous by saying that Kelly has the system that Mariota would thrive in. He's changed it from being based on the read option to being based on the speed he has in the passing game.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #8
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Well for one, Manziel isn't going to drop down to the third round.

For two, Quarterbacks have never and will never be interchangeable parts like backs. If they were, then they wouldn't be getting paid the most money in the NFL.

For three, the NFL has 53 roster spots. Most teams only carry two active quarterbacks and then an emergency one.

Hell I was being generous by saying that Kelly has the system that Mariota would thrive in. He's changed it from being based on the read option to being based on the speed he has in the passing game.
I disagree if you are running a system that asks the QB to run a lot. They are RBs who can throw. People used to say the same about RBs and now look, they are a dime a dozen. You can argue how far guys will drop but my point is still valid. It makes no sense to draft guys who can't run to back up guys like RG III. There are plenty of talented running QBs that can drop far enough that can play in the shotgun spread style offenses. Shaw would be a prime candidate of a guy you can pick up late and would be a great back up to RG III and the others. It doesn't mean you don't protect the starter but you shouldn't have to have to offensive playbooks like these teams basically have.

It really is only a matter of time until teams start doing it. QBs cost too much and can set the franchise back too many years when trying to find the Mannings or Lucks of the world. It's easier to pay less and go with quantity over quality. Also when those QBs like Rodgers go down, their teams are awful. By doing this you'd be able to remain competitive. It's actually embarassing how bad some teams are when their starter goes down. QB salaries hamstring teams and prevent them from getting other needed guys.

Do you really think Cam is going to have a 15 year career? No. He will have 10 years, just like a RB, before he can't physically run enough to succeed. It is the same as McNabb and why his career just plummeted. Technically this is just going back to what QBs originally were, before guys like Marino started succeeding. QBs used to be the best athlete on the field and ran all around. Football is cyclical and it will eventually change to athletic guys and then back to pocket passers as the D changes.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
boowilliam4
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervous

I think it's a really smart move for him to stay.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:56 AM   #10
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

I wish he would have gone. I don't share in the Oregon love fest everyone seems to have
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 AM   #11
Tim Taylor
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I disagree if you are running a system that asks the QB to run a lot. They are RBs who can throw. People used to say the same about RBs and now look, they are a dime a dozen. You can argue how far guys will drop but my point is still valid. It makes no sense to draft guys who can't run to back up guys like RG III. There are plenty of talented running QBs that can drop far enough that can play in the shotgun spread style offenses. Shaw would be a prime candidate of a guy you can pick up late and would be a great back up to RG III and the others. It doesn't mean you don't protect the starter but you shouldn't have to have to offensive playbooks like these teams basically have.

It really is only a matter of time until teams start doing it. QBs cost too much and can set the franchise back too many years when trying to find the Mannings or Lucks of the world. It's easier to pay less and go with quantity over quality. Also when those QBs like Rodgers go down, their teams are awful. By doing this you'd be able to remain competitive. It's actually embarassing how bad some teams are when their starter goes down. QB salaries hamstring teams and prevent them from getting other needed guys.

Do you really think Cam is going to have a 15 year career? No. He will have 10 years, just like a RB, before he can't physically run enough to succeed. It is the same as McNabb and why his career just plummeted. Technically this is just going back to what QBs originally were, before guys like Marino started succeeding. QBs used to be the best athlete on the field and ran all around. Football is cyclical and it will eventually change to athletic guys and then back to pocket passers as the D changes.
Jesus dude. I can't believe this post is even real. Do you know anything about the NFL? Do you even NFL bro?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
Tim Taylor
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
I wish he would have gone. I don't share in the Oregon love fest everyone seems to have

Only The Mothership does that. They have a logo tie in plus Phil Knight knighting hard (pun intended) for the Ducks. Notice that for all of Oregon's success, they have very little results of note.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Jesus dude. I can't believe this post is even real. Do you know anything about the NFL? Do you even NFL bro?
Apparently you have no way to refute so you will just insult. I listed plenty of things explaining why I could see the NFL evolving or cycling back to the past, yet you have nothing remotely close to a response to them.

I find it more laughable that you can't see how it makes sense to draft other running QBs to backup current starters that run a lot. Furtermore, that you can't recognized that finding a Peyton, Eli, Brady, Rogers, Breez and Luck is harder than drafting guys who can just run around and chuck it up is sad. There is a reason why colleges have gone to the spread, running QB. It is easier to find those type of QBs and it is easier to coach. It is far harder to coach the classic drop back game then the spread option/passing attacks.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
Tim Taylor
Banned

Male

Quote:
Apparently you have no way to refute so you will just insult. I listed plenty of things explaining why I could see the NFL evolving or cycling back to the past, yet you have nothing remotely close to a response to them.

I find it more laughable that you can't see how it makes sense to draft other running QBs to backup current starters that run a lot. Furtermore, that you can't recognized that finding a Peyton, Eli, Brady, Rogers, Breez and Luck is harder than drafting guys who can just run around and chuck it up is sad. There is a reason why colleges have gone to the spread, running QB. It is easier to find those type of QBs and it is easier to coach. It is far harder to coach the classic drop back game then the spread option/passing attacks.

I didn't offer contradiction to your post because your post was so stupid I couldn't believe you actually meant it. Yeah you can go whine about that, but really, what you said, there is no other word for it besides stupid.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Quote:

It's not all about the money with everyone, although you wouldn't know it with some of our players. I have nothing but admiration for a guy that could be a top pick in the draft honoring his commitment to his college and coming back for his senior year.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
It's not all about the money with everyone, although you wouldn't know it with some of our players. I have nothing but admiration for a guy that could be a top pick in the draft honoring his commitment to his college and coming back for his senior year.
Mariota is a RS Sophomore. He is talented and coming off a great year, but he is still really raw and needs to fine tune some things before starting for a NFL team.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #17
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114893542
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Until the Superbowl can be won by a scrambling qb system then the hunt for Peyton and Luck will continue.

The top teams in the league are consistent and that is because they can beat elite nfl defenses and this only seems to happen consistently when Peyton, Tom, Drew, Russell and the other elite QB's do it.

For the record I do agree with some of you points but I think Cam is trying to become a pocket passer because you cannot run every week against NFL teams and if you find someone who can you will still have to pay him the big money.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
Until the Superbowl can be won by a scrambling qb system then the hunt for Peyton and Luck will continue.

The top teams in the league are consistent and that is because they can beat elite nfl defenses and this only seems to happen consistently when Peyton, Tom, Drew, Russell and the other elite QB's do it.

For the record I do agree with some of you points but I think Cam is trying to become a pocket passer because you cannot run every week against NFL teams and if you find someone who can you will still have to pay him the big money.
I agree that Cam is trying to become a better passer, but so did McNabb and look how that ended. The problem is, these guys are done a disservice when they are young by HS and college coaches not developing their passing skills and by the time they get to the NFL it is just too late to change/learn it.

I think people will still look for the Mannings, but you are going to see teams going another route and stocking up on running QBs like they are RBs.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

I think is nice to see these athletes stay. College is supposed to be about getting an education not just preparing for a professional career. It's nice to have athletes who have something to fall back on if a pro career doesn't pan out.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Ive never understood the hype.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote