CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
roosterdude21
Cockypantherfan
Lalli25
sporkgod50
i29gman
Spur's Addiction
Gyle41386
qcgamecock
F4rpoole
Thenardier
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1839)
The #AskEmmert Q& (596)
Stadium Ratings-Site (465)
Peach Bowl name retu (295)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (293)
Construction of Worl (293)
Save Electricity By (247)
HELP calculating acr (214)
NBA Wants to Up Age (162)
How Experienced In P (146)
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Jameis Winston's Accuser
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
2015 - Tommy Hatton
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
2015 - Davon Durant
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is

Old 12-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #121
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
GarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his comb
Default Re: Cotton Bowl... No thanks

The 5A high school state title game last year at cowboys stadium drew 60,000 fans. Barely a state record.

You best believe that place will be packed whoever we play, assuming we go of course.

So we better bring a pretty big chunk of fans to make an impact.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #122
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post
since when do the South Carolina Gamecocks not travel well? If we can't sell 12,000-20,000 tickets to see the Gamecocks play in the Cotton Bowl that is pathetic
Ask the Outback. We had to buy back tix and pay a fee to offset unsold hotel rooms. I think that there is zero chance that we go back there this year. People can drive to Orlando in a day. Not many will be able to either take the extra time off or pay for pricey airfare to Dallas. We have never played Wisconsin. I would like to add their pelt to our Big whatever belt. Besides, this place goes into meltdown mode after wins. I don't relish the thought of putting up with the cadre of nellies that call CT home after a bowl loss.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #123
BlueEagles06
Two Deep

Male

BlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Taylor View Post
Like I said, if you really care about the program, then you would want us to go to the Cotton Bowl. If you only care about yourself, then root for the Capital One Bowl.
Agree
BlueEagles06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #124
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 230
ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
From what I hear it is 70-30 Cap One which is fine with me. I used to work a show in Dallas every January. The weather always sucked. I don't think that we would travel well either. As far as matchups go I think that Wisconsin gives us the best chance of a win versus any of the likely Cotton opponents. I want to go into the off season with the W.
Yep.

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #125
KingCock
4-Star

Male

KingCock has feathers coming inKingCock has feathers coming inKingCock has feathers coming in
Send a message via AIM to KingCock Send a message via Yahoo to KingCock

We want Cotton! Anyone that doesn't want to go that can get tickets, please sell me yours if we are picked for Cotton.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #126
Latt4Gov
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
Latt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
The people hating on the Capital One Bowl are absolutely crazy. That pole consistently has the first big after the BCS game. I would be thrilled to go to the Capital One Bowl.

Some of you are already getting spoiled and that's absolutely ridiculous given our history
What's ridiculous is supporting a bowl that's sponsored by a shit credit company that uses a Baldwin as it's primary spokesman.

As for spoiled I don't think so, Spurrier has expressed a lot of interest in going to Dallas so fans are going to back him up. I would love to get to Dallas, believe it or not, take off the citrus and Mickey Mouse glasses but, we would get more exposure by taking the Cotton Bowl.

The Baldwin bowl is Jan.1, and it has to compete with 3 other bowls for ratings and exposure. (4 games start between 12 and 1). On Jan 3rd is the Cotton and Orange Bowl.

If you look at the recent history of bowl tv viewers, the cotton bowl annually has more viewers than any of the Florida bowls.

No one should take this personally by no means but, I think it's pretty outlandish to think that going to the Cotton Bowl would be a bad move. If you can't afford it well shit happens, I'm 100% sure that we won't have a problem traveling to Dallas. Last time I checked Spurrier doesn't send a memo out to the fans wanting them to make the schedule for him.

Yes Michigan was an 8-4 team and gave us their best shot last year but, we found a way to win. I personally hate playing the Big 10, I would much rather watch us vs a Big 12 team.

Just Remember,

1. It's held in the Best Football facility in the world, Jerry Dome.
2. It's in the heart of a state and region that believes football is first and then everything else comes along.
3. Recruiting - We're good on that local Florida Pipeline. If we could start to pull a few of those kids from those monster High Schools in Texas, it could really help us out.
4. Most importantly it's not sponsored by a sleaze bag Baldwin that represents a credit company that every year has more complaints than any other credit company. They can take that extra 1 million for the payout and shove it up their asses.

I'll take tradition any day over Money and corporate America. Last time I checked the SEC nor USC was hurting for money
Old 12-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #127
Latt4Gov
Recruit

Male

Latt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his comb

Just posted on the bleacher report....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #128
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

we are not going to pull kids out of Texas... I dont care if we won 85-2 (if we played there)... We don't even recruit the state of Texas... We pretty much recruit the mid-Atlantic, and the Southeast...
Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #129
doc
Recruit

Male

doc has feathers coming indoc has feathers coming indoc has feathers coming in

Why does Capital One pay a million more than the
Cotton Bowl?
doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #130
SanAntonioCock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 84706
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
we are not going to pull kids out of Texas... I dont care if we won 85-2 (if we played there)... We don't even recruit the state of Texas... We pretty much recruit the mid-Atlantic, and the Southeast...
Well, maybe they'll walk-on then like Elliot Fry. He is from Texas.

Never forget the "y"
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #131
KingCock
4-Star

Male

KingCock has feathers coming inKingCock has feathers coming inKingCock has feathers coming in
Send a message via AIM to KingCock Send a message via Yahoo to KingCock

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Why does Capital One pay a million more than the
Cotton Bowl?
Doesn't the SEC just split the money anyway?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #132
NJCocky14
Recruit

Male

NJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Missouri has Texas kids. Arkansas has Texas kids. Ole Miss has some Texas kids. Mississippi State has a few. Every other school outside the state of Texas in the Big 12 is filled with them. There is no reason why we can't pull a couple kids from there. That's just a loser mentality.

Obviously it would be extremely hard to compete with Texas or A&M, but no reason we can't steal a few from Baylor or Texas Tech, or even the kids who typically go to schools like Oklahoma State, Kansas State, or even TCU. All have some pretty good athletes and have sent plenty of guys to the NFL.

Some exposure in the Cotton Bowl might convince some of those kids to give us a look.
NJCocky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #133
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3861799
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

pulling for mizzou. a mizzou win puts in in a better spot to go to the cotton. spurrier is pushing hard for it as well. I really would like to play Texas and send Mack out with a loss
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #134
splinters
Recruit

Male

splinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Why not? Elliott Fry came from texas? I didn't want to go to school in texas and chose carolina.

We should take a look at J.T. Granato QB from Kinkaid School in Houston ( top private school in the city ). Same school Ford Childress QB at West Virginia came from.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73...=1&nid=6873445

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecr...Granato-148989
splinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #135
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCock View Post
Doesn't the SEC just split the money anyway?
Yeah they do. We would get the same $$$ either way. This ain't the Big 12.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #136
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
I don't understand this logic. A.) the citrus bowl is more prestigious than cotton. B.) we would get better attendance at citrus because t is a drivable distance and he game is on a holiday. C.) i understand the Tampa burn out but we have only been to Orlando one other time.
Point A is false .

Cotton bowl has more prestige.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #137
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post
Why not? Elliott Fry came from texas? I didn't want to go to school in texas and chose carolina.

We should take a look at J.T. Granato QB from Kinkaid School in Houston ( top private school in the city ). Same school Ford Childress QB at West Virginia came from.
We do not actively recruit the state of Texas... Hey, if a Texas kid goes to the Cotton Bowl, and watches Clowney reak havoc on some big-12 ass, that might convince him to look at USC...
Old 12-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #138
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Point A is false .

Cotton bowl has more prestige.
They are both upper-tier bowls... But, I'd you go by the pecking order for SEC teams, the Cap-1 Bowl is a higher bowl... With as nice as Jerry World is, the Cotton Bowl will probably become a higher tiered bowl for SEC teams in the near future.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #139
BlueHerons
Recruit

Female

BlueHerons has feathers coming inBlueHerons has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Ask the Outback. We had to buy back tix and pay a fee to offset unsold hotel rooms. I think that there is zero chance that we go back there this year. People can drive to Orlando in a day. Not many will be able to either take the extra time off or pay for pricey airfare to Dallas. We have never played Wisconsin. I would like to add their pelt to our Big whatever belt. Besides, this place goes into meltdown mode after wins. I don't relish the thought of putting up with the cadre of nellies that call CT home after a bowl loss.
The only hotels rooms we would have had to buy back are ones we booked as a group and individual ticket holders booked their own rooms unless they came as part of a group.

The University doesn't just guess 15,000 will travel then book hotel rooms for them. The only rooms the school books is for the team and support to travel so this claim isn't quite true.

I personally know the Outback Bowl guys and they love us.

I'm sure the payout from the bowl way out payed any tickets the school had to buy.

FWIW, I was in the hotel business for twenty years so I know how the group room block thing works.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #140
boowilliam4
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervous

I don't know how many fans would attend, but being a college student i could make the trip to Orlando WAY before i could think about a trip to Dallas. Hope we pack the stadium wherever we go!